Author Topic: TDA car-audio chip amp: purpose of output caps  (Read 38810 times)

Offline 13hm13Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: TDA car-audio chip amp: purpose of output caps
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2014, 03:40:54 am »
not the AD8397
There is nothing in the datasheet that would suggest that it can swing below its negative rail.
I don't believe anyone did say the AD8397 can swing below its negative rail. There are a other ways of driving headphones from an op-amp such as the AD8397 without using AC coupling capacitors but that wasn't the original topic of this thread.
:wtf:
It doesn't need to swing negative to work ... It Doesn't Need To Swing Negative to Work! ... IT effin' DOESN'T NEED to effin' SWING effin' NEGATIVE to effin' WORK!!!!
Duhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Dave went over this in his opamp video,EEVblog #600 - OpAmps Tutorial - What is an Operational Amplifier? (around 28:00):

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2014, 04:28:39 am »
So you're proposing to drive the speaker on the positive half of the waveform and let it "spring back" for the negative half?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2014, 07:21:30 am »
not the AD8397
There is nothing in the datasheet that would suggest that it can swing below its negative rail.
I don't believe anyone did say the AD8397 can swing below its negative rail. There are a other ways of driving headphones from an op-amp such as the AD8397 without using AC coupling capacitors but that wasn't the original topic of this thread.
It doesn't need to swing negative to work ... It Doesn't Need To Swing Negative to Work! ... IT effin' DOESN'T NEED to effin' SWING effin' NEGATIVE to effin' WORK!!!!
Duhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Dave went over this in his opamp video,EEVblog #600 - OpAmps Tutorial - What is an Operational Amplifier? (around 28:00):

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2014, 12:04:03 pm »
So you're proposing to drive the speaker on the positive half of the waveform and let it "spring back" for the negative half?

Damping? What Damping?

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2014, 12:24:37 pm »
IT effin' DOESN'T NEED to effin' SWING effin' NEGATIVE to effin' WORK!!!!

You don't have to shout.

To you point, how do you propose to get an ac current through the speaker cone if is is subject to a dc signal?
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2014, 12:40:59 pm »

Sigh. "there's". Indeed there's no hope.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2014, 01:31:11 pm »

I believe that was the gist of his informational animated gif/rant.

It's hard to tell; he always seems to answer the question he heard rather than the question that was asked.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2014, 01:43:42 pm »
The Gene pool is green beyond Chlorine I'm afraid. Does this rag smell like Chloroform to you?

Online mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2014, 04:29:35 pm »
not the AD8397
Duhhhhhhhhhh!!!

You are quite correct, the output of the amplifier itself does not need to swing negative, but the signal applied to the speaker absolutely must swing negative; the net DC component applied to the speaker needs to be kept to very small values, preferably zero.  It is the job of your "emergency"  :-DD caps to remove the DC bias from a conventional power amp run from a single supply rail.

I appreciate you are finding this entire topic very difficult to understand, but the capacitor effectively converts a 0 to Vcc swing to a -Vcc/2 to +Vcc/2 swing.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:32:06 pm by mikerj »

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2014, 05:22:18 pm »
not the AD8397
Duhhhhhhhhhh!!!

You are quite correct, the output of the amplifier itself does not need to swing negative, but the signal applied to the speaker absolutely must swing negative; the net DC component applied to the speaker needs to be kept to very small values, preferably zero.  It is the job of your "emergency"  :-DD caps to remove the DC bias from a conventional power amp run from a single supply rail.

I appreciate you are finding this entire topic very difficult to understand, but the capacitor effectively converts a 0 to Vcc swing to a -Vcc/2 to +Vcc/2 swing.

Ya know, I wonder if he has speakers with a weird crossover network that has a cap in series with the woofer anyways, which is why removing the cap from the amp works?

I don't know enough about passive crossovers but I've always seen them with a LC lowpass filter with the cap in parallel at the woofer.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2014, 06:42:03 pm »
not the AD8397
Duhhhhhhhhhh!!!
In order to drive a speaker properly, the positive terminal of the speaker needs to both swing above and below the negative terminal of the speaker. The negative terminal of the speaker may or may not be at the same voltage as the negative supply voltage.

Again, I repeat, this thread is about the TDA7273, which uses DC blocking capacitors and the positive terminal of the speaker does indeed swing below the power supply's negative rail.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2014, 08:01:23 pm »
speakers with a weird crossover network that has a cap in series with the woofer anyways, which is why removing the cap from the amp works?

It would be odd for a woofer to have a serial capacitor (only). If the serial capacitor is in parallel with an inductor, then the same problem persists.

Serial capacitor (only) for a tweeter makes sense, however.

I don't know enough about passive crossovers but I've always seen them with a LC lowpass filter with the cap in parallel at the woofer.

The speaker would defeat the capacitor in parallel.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2014, 08:14:40 pm »
speakers with a weird crossover network that has a cap in series with the woofer anyways, which is why removing the cap from the amp works?

It would be odd for a woofer to have a serial capacitor (only). If the serial capacitor is in parallel with an inductor, then the same problem persists.

Serial capacitor (only) for a tweeter makes sense, however.

The speaker would defeat the capacitor in parallel.

Eh wot? "LC lowpass filter with the cap in parallel at the woofer"

That's the way they've always looked to me.

Offline 13hm13Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2014, 03:19:24 am »
mikerj  urinated ...
You are quite correct,
TRYIN' TO PATRONIZE? ..... PFFFFTTTTTT!!!  :-DD  :bullshit:  :-+
the output of the amplifier itself does not need to swing negative, but the signal applied to the speaker absolutely must swing negative; the net DC component applied to the speaker needs to be kept to very small values, preferably zero.  It is the job of your "emergency"  :-DD caps to remove the DC bias from a conventional power amp run from a single supply rail.

pssst ...the caps are there for emergency DC protection (the amp/speaker will work, with single supply, w/o those caps) ....the caps are there for emergency DC protection (the amp/speaker will work, with single supply, w/o those caps) ... the caps are there for emergency DC protection (the amp/speaker will work, with single supply, w/o those caps).

Oh, and uh, one more thing...

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2014, 03:26:14 am »
pssst ...the caps are there for emergency DC protection (the amp/speaker will work, with single supply, w/o those caps) ....the caps are there for emergency DC protection (the amp/speaker will work, with single supply, w/o those caps)

You say it will, we know it won't. You made the assertion, now would be the appropriate time for YOU to prove us wrong. Put up or shut up.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:53:27 am by BradC »

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2014, 03:50:55 am »
mikerj  urinated ...
You are quite correct,
the output of the amplifier itself does not need to swing negative, but the signal applied to the speaker absolutely must swing negative; the net DC component applied to the speaker needs to be kept to very small values, preferably zero.  It is the job of your "emergency"  :-DD caps to remove the DC bias from a conventional power amp run from a single supply rail.

pssst ...the caps are there for emergency DC protection (the amp/speaker will work, with single supply, w/o those caps) ....the caps are there for emergency DC protection (the amp/speaker will work, with single supply, w/o those caps) ... the caps are there for emergency DC protection (the amp/speaker will work, with single supply, w/o those caps).

Shout it out as loud as you want.

You're still wrong.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2014, 04:12:33 am »
mikerj  urinated ...
You are quite correct,

Simply make the breadboard and measure the output with no load. Or send me a chip.

Or describe a situation that would qualify as a DC emergency.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2014, 05:07:30 am »
Simply make the breadboard and measure the output with no load. Or send me a chip.

You are wasting your time. 13hm13 clearly doesn't even understand the question, so he would be unable to respond coherently.

People who don't know what they don't know think that the rest of us are just ganging up on them to be mean.
They don't have any useful understanding of the underlying concepts they think they are discussing.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2014, 05:19:59 am »

You are wasting your time. 13hm13 clearly doesn't even understand the question, so he would be unable to respond coherently.

People who don't know what they don't know think that the rest of us are just ganging up on them to be mean.
They don't have any useful understanding of the underlying concepts they think they are discussing.

I think you're wrong. Once someone uses 36 point font, you know you're wrong and they're right. Now it's just a question of getting some measurements...

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2014, 05:20:30 am »

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2014, 05:59:15 am »
Dunning Kruger effect  :)

You might be right David, but my internet spidey senses tell me 13ohm is just an old fashioned troll and a rather expert one at that. He knows just what buttons to push. Simon should have locked this thing down.

Online IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2014, 06:01:49 am »

Clear yet?

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2014, 07:54:06 am »
I'm really amazed how you guys still can answer him seriously. I wouldn't even try to do that after a few of his posts. It's just Sisyphean labor regardless if he is a troll or just non smart. Even if he will understand finally, he does not deserve your effort because of his altitude.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2014, 08:04:58 am »
I even would say that he deserves a lesson in a hard way - burned speakers and amplifier.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2014, 09:05:06 am »

Fire at the Whitehouse?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf