Author Topic: Techniques to reverse order of signals on a pcb...  (Read 1722 times)

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Techniques to reverse order of signals on a pcb...
« on: March 24, 2018, 03:24:23 pm »
Let's say you have 8 signal lines that are in the order D0-D7, but you need to reverse them to D7-D0.  What techniques/elegant ways have you seen that can swap them?

Here is what I've come up with (attachment)...

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Techniques to reverse order of signals on a pcb...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 04:07:54 pm »
Hard to come up with a solution without a specific use-case, since I'd usually just rotate the device 180 degrees or move it on the other side of the board... ;)

Also worth mentioning that most "dumb" memory devices have no difference between the various data and address lines; they're just labeled that way, and even those which do have an order may be able to have it changed in software.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 04:09:40 pm »
reprogram or rearrange the chip so we dont have to do that pcb nasty hack...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: Alex Eisenhut, fourtytwo42

Offline alank2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 03:06:02 am »
I agree that pin swapping is ideal when you have that option.  I would have thought there would be some techniques or tricks to this.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 06:27:31 am »
I agree that pin swapping is ideal when you have that option.  I would have thought there would be some techniques or tricks to this.
There are.
Namely component placement in the first instance. Examine what nets as 'set in stone' and which can take other paths to allow better pathways for the final layout.
Final routing can be the easy bit if you've spend enough time beforehand.
Double sided layouts where traces that go to the next device in the signal path and placed on the other side of a PCB effectively mirrors the pinout so no reversing of traces is needed.

I might use auto-route 10 times on a simple board just to get a handle on best orientation and placement before routing manually for the final time.
Good layouts take real time. Period.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 07:41:54 am »
Go SMD and place one part on each side. :)

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 07:55:10 am »
I do it more or less as pictured.  If I have the space, I'll go for more symmetry: the vias go along one side, and the traces entering and exiting both make mitered 90 degree bends over to the row of vias.  Or if it's a right angle, some space can be saved by placing the vias in a diagonal row and connecting top and bottom layers accordingly (like a keyboard matrix).

Best is to follow the buses back to their origins and swap any pairs you can, at the source, or along the way.  If you are very tight on space, you can use this method to distribute the space taken up by the swap, along the route.

If you have large pads (SOIC or DIP, say), you should be able to get a couple swaps for free, by weaving traces between pads.

Ideally, you keep enough space at the row of pins to simply exit that row from the other side, flip the bus around and be done, but sometimes that's not possible.

Equivalent-function ICs can help, too.  Compare 74HC273 to '573, etc.  The former usually sucks more, but, who knows, maybe the quirkiness happens to win for once!

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 09:20:54 pm »
On a less glib note, like tesla notes one way is to place the components at 90 degrees and use a single 45 degree row of vias, reversing the order as it switches from/to hor/vert.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 09:29:24 pm »
(S)RAM (or anything which only the uC writes/reads) usually doesn't care which data line is connected to which data pin.
(E)EPROM binaries can be rearranged so that the data fits the PCB layout.
Anything else, use 4layer PCB, jumper wires, bridges...... and test it on breadboard, wirewrap board...... before doing the final PCB. Nothing more annoying than spending lots of time designing a PCB that doesn't work
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:31:40 pm by MadTux »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf