Author Topic: Tesla (Tower) Wireless Power Transfer  (Read 19741 times)

Offline eneuroTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Tesla (Tower) Wireless Power Transfer
« on: August 10, 2014, 08:55:51 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower

Apparatus for transmitting electrical energy.
Inventor: Nikola Tesla
http://www.google.com/patents/US1119732

After watching this "Nikola Tesla's Life New Documentary" I've found this presentation "Tesla Wireless Power Transfer" and to be onest its Tesla tower simulation using Maxwell's Equations this guy claims it is possible to transfer wireless energy without electromagnetic field emited it was real principle written by Tesla to use Earth conductivity properties to do so too in his article very dificult to study while mechanical analogy was used to express electrical systems concepts those days.

Interpreting Nikola Tesla's wifi electricity patents this guy showed a few experiments and simulations which could blow your mind  :o

There guy from WiTricity shows TV powered by its magnetic coil and refers to Tesla tower, but it looks like Tesla's ideas written in its "The true wireless" article were very different and this guy from Zgreb shows in his simulations and primitive but successfull presenatations something much more difficult to understand than this below sponsored by WiTricity:

Update: There is very funny episode in this TED WiTricity safety demonstration of its "magnetic" energy transfer, where guy moves (2 times 8:00 minute of this video) between transmiter and TV receiver back and... claims it is safe because of he is alive, while huge electromagnetic X-ray could keep him alive too, but it is not safe to live in such fields  !  :-DD
This shows level of some "comercial" presentations today and happenings made for future customers  >:(

What do you think about this not finished Tesla tower and its theory behind?
It looks like that on this presenattion even guys with deeper knowledge of Maxwell's Equations were confused...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:53:35 pm by eneuro »
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Tesla (Tower) Wireless Power Transfer
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 11:26:31 am »

Update: There is very funny episode in this TED WiTricity safety demonstration of its "magnetic" energy transfer, where guy moves (2 times 8:00 minute of this video) between transmiter and TV receiver back and... claims it is safe because of he is alive, while huge electromagnetic X-ray could keep him alive too, but it is not safe to live in such fields  !  :-DD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionizing_radiation
"Gamma rays, X-rays, and the upper vacuum ultraviolet part of the ultraviolet spectrum are ionizing, whereas the lower ultraviolet, visible light (including laser light), infrared, microwaves, and radio waves are considered non-ionizing radiation."

but I agree, might not be safe to live in such fields. Like cellphones are considered safe, but people are still advised to use hands-free devices or speaker and not put cell phone and the antenna directly against their head.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 11:51:34 am »
Effects of long term exposure to microwaves and cell-phones have yet be studied.
Only since a few years people carry a cell phone 24/7.

Hours in their pocket near heart and lungs or pocket closer to the reproduction organs.
Hours on the bedside near their head.

Since microwaves at this scale are not naturally occurring this should be treated as if it poses at least some threat to human health.

Offline Eden

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:19:48 pm »
I think it was already proved that cellphones (and laptops) affect male productivity, and it's safe to assume it affects ADHD and similar syndromes.
Anyhow, I think it's time to adapt Tesla ideas to these days needs. For example: Wireless Charging

Effects of long term exposure to microwaves and cell-phones have yet be studied.
Only since a few years people carry a cell phone 24/7.

Hours in their pocket near heart and lungs or pocket closer to the reproduction organs.
Hours on the bedside near their head.

Since microwaves at this scale are not naturally occurring this should be treated as if it poses at least some threat to human health.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 05:39:49 am »
You shouldn't say such conclusions without link to a scientific publication.

But, back on topic.
There are energy harvesting methods that acquire energy from background microwaves. Like wifi and 50 hz humm. Not yet enough to communicate through WiFi, but using some method to interfere with wifi it can communicate with a dedicated app.
Cannot find the news article again however, it was a very recent new product release or announcement.

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:13:18 am »
I think it was already proved that cellphones (and laptops) affect male productivity, and it's safe to assume it affects ADHD and similar syndromes.

Laptops affect sperm counts because they raise the temperature of reproductive organs that are outside the body in order to have lower temperature.  Clothing probably reduces male fertility as well.  In any case, to go from there to "It's safe to assume it affects ADHD" is pure insanity.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 09:38:12 am »
What do you think about this not finished Tesla tower and its theory behind?
I think that in the 100 years since the original patent, despite massive advances in physics, electronics, wireless communications (both theory and practice, for all of those), no one who is anyone has managed (or claimed) to produce the effects that Tesla thought he could produce (safely or otherwise.)  Therefore, Tesla was incorrect in his understanding of how it would work, and probably whether it would work at all.

And I think that the people who claim that they are duplicating his theories and achieving his goals are con-men, using Tesla's name, his success in other areas, and his eccentricities, to mislead the gullible.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 08:43:11 am »
Therefore, Tesla was incorrect in his understanding of how it would work, and probably whether it would work at all.
There could be technical limitations 100 years ago to build tower exactly which needed for those experiments, while in one of these Tesla tower simulation videos it was mentioned by someone who studied his patents and made Tesla tower simulation and its own models.
The reduction of the E field in radio-wave propagation is linearly related to distance (i.e., if the distance doubles the E-field voltage
vector halves), so it looks like Tesla tower simulation had similar linear fall with distance as I remember.

Tesla coils were invented before tower concept, however singing Tesla coils demonstration in modern version is very impresive  8)

Just trying to figure out how in this performance man without metal helmet can survive those huge sparks which looks like hits his head?
maybe he's using some kind of conductive gel or skin effects makes it possible?
While those coils are at height about 2 meters than from 3000kV/m air breakdown voltage doesn't we need >6MV potential difference between this coil and ground to make such huge sparks effects?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:49:20 am by eneuro »
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 06:42:06 pm »

Laptops affect sperm counts because they raise the temperature of reproductive organs that are outside the body in order to have lower temperature.  Clothing probably reduces male fertility as well.  In any case, to go from there to "It's safe to assume it affects ADHD" is pure insanity.
To top it off, I'm not even sure that ADHD is an actual, bona fide condition...
(And there are experts who share this doubt: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2592641/Expert-claims-ADHD-not-real-disease-fits-two-criteria.html)

But I'm sure it's also "safe to assume" that cellphones and laptops also affect the behavior of rainbow unicorns and cause passive-aggressive behavior in house faeries and sprites.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:44:43 pm by Sigmoid »

Offline SirNick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 07:01:49 pm »
Effects of long term exposure to microwaves and cell-phones have yet be studied.  Only since a few years people carry a cell phone 24/7.

I have been participating in such a study since 1998.  I have had a cell phone in my pocket almost every day since.  I do switch pockets every couple years though, giving The Boys equal doses of radiation.  When I'm gone, I hereby give Science the right to snag my marbles and check for anything that looks like the sidekick from Monsters, Inc.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 03:48:13 pm »
While I managed to work ZVS driver, preparing myself for wireless energy transfers inside my living room  ;)

I've calculated expected inductance of wires around 20m2 test room on the ground bottom.
Also small resonant receivers were designed,  so lets try connect car battery to ZVS driver and see what happends- if we'll be able  power up something wireless, eg. diodes in antiparallel, etc, it will be a success  and nice addon to my negative ions (anions) generator :-/O
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 03:50:34 pm by eneuro »
-||-|-

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 04:40:56 pm »
Complete rubbish.

The atomic ionization energy is one of the most studied values of the 20th century. Albert Einsten got his Nobel prize for working out a value for it in 1905 (http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1921/).

Short answer: It's in the ultraviolet range.

There's about six orders of magnitude energy difference between cellphone radiation and ultraviolet. Your cellphone is harmless. Ordinary sunlight is about 1,000,000,000 times more dangerous (combining wattage and wavelength).

« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:49:30 pm by Fungus »

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 05:31:31 am »
Yes, but if you want the phone to be dangerous, then it is.

Offline JimRemington

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 02:28:49 pm »
Yes, but if you want the phone to be dangerous, then it is.
Yes, just spend a lot of time texting while walking across a busy street. Win a posthumous Darwin Award!

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 02:50:21 pm »
It seems an extraordinary antenna for small size and below HF bands.
We are talking resonant antenna at 200 odd meter wave here.

ps. I also found it can transmit to a receive antenna about 20-25 meters (distance) with no power.
Obviously some electrostatic exchange going on when I touch a terminal. It sounds like a fingertip moving over sand paper.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 03:02:16 pm by @rt »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 09:46:40 pm »
Connected ZVS driver which works fine with 2x 5 turns on flyback primary-draws less than 100mA with small load, but when tried with 2 x 2 turns of wires arounf room 5m x 4m + smaller 3m x 4m it  draws 2.75A from 12.3V car started battery?  ???

Calculated Inductance: Rectangular Loop   which uses this formula

I've got for bigger 5m x 4m room ~120uH, than when added wires resistance at decent switching frequency I should get current draw below 0.5A, so I do not know, maybe this cable aluminium decent shield makes them useless while creates Eddy currents which make such big current draw?
Probably I didn't shorted this aluminium shield around room into another loop, which could be not too good-need to check this...

Total length of one loop around two rooms is ~30 meters, so two turns are ~60meters, but thin 0.5mm copper was used for the moment.
There are four such wires in this cable, so I've connected two of them to create splited two 2 turns coils-similar to flyback primary...

Those four thin wires (total resistance ~3.9 Ohm per two turns?) is shielded by aluminium with additional good insulation...
It is not brand new cable-probably I will have to calculate its resistance per meter and compare with AWG datasheets.

Why so huge current draw from 12V battery? I energize something inside the room? There is steel 2 m high  fireplace...
Not sure for the moment about this insulated in plastic wires, so probably I will test with 2.5mm2 copper 230VAC rated wires, since this resistance looks too high using this salvaged four wires cable in aluminium shield....

Anyway, this aluminium shield wires maybe will be good for another negative ions generator project which was the main purpose to put those wires around room at the bottom  :-/O

BTW: I've forgot to turn on AM radio to see if it creates some higher frequency noise  >:D

Update: when calculated estimated [Ohm/m] used wire resistance I've got for ~120m total of wires ~0.067 Ohm/m, so very close to AWG 23 using this AWG chart it looks like ~0.6mm in diameter copper wire which is something similar to what I have, so nope, used wires resistance looks good at its gauge  :-//

My suspect is this bloody aluminium shield around those four wires inside  ::)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:08:26 pm by eneuro »
-||-|-

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 10:33:10 pm »

We have an infinitely better grasp on the effects of radiation than ADHD medication.

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 03:01:19 pm »
You have a primary around your whole room? Just for test?
While at it you might as well put a pancake coil under a rug and make free energy videos with just the coil secondary lighting things!

Are you sending a frequency? Capacitive coupling between the shield and wire? Shield to Earth?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 04:45:50 pm »
... make free energy videos with just the coil secondary lighting things! ...
Yep, it could be a lot of fun with small NE-2s neons,  but they require decent voltage to glow those things, but we could have HF AC, so we could use voltage multipliers to buildup higher voltages needed for neons, which are really nice since when 3mm green LED shorted with a few kV low current below 1mA output very small amount of light, but the same HV current nicelly glows 0.6 meter 18W rated T8 flourescent lamps 8)

I think that I will use quite cheap 2.5mm2 ~AWG 13 tripple wires used for winding house mains-those wires has no bloody aluminium shield around  ;)
AWg 13 wire has ~0.007 Ohm/meter resistance, so while bigger room has ~18m per loop, so resistance of one loop will be ~0.126 Ohm/18meters,
so when we use two turns of triple wire we'll have ~0.378 Ohm/per half of our spilited primary, total 0.756 Ohm for 6 turns if we wanted use more sophisticated equipment like full bridge using rectified 230VAC mains, so ~325Vmax DC   >:D
Those wires are rated for such voltage, but my simply ZVS flyback driver not now, but I will make soon probably GDT driven full bridge, which maybe could be driven by... ZVS driver...

Is it any chance that 100kHz-1MHz 325V input fullbridge with 6 turns ~5.7m in diamater coil will disturb local terestial TV sttaions signal by its higher order harmonics?  ::)
I really like idea of driving full bridge using GDTs powered by ZVS driver on small ferrite core in a similar way like flyback primary with 2x 5 turns, but didn't calculated yet if it could work?
I will draw schematics concept.
Using fullbridge has advantege we utilize all copper in windings not only half like in split ZVS driver transformer primary  :popcorn:

BTW: Probably you mean those experimens in Tesla lab, but as I know it was his staff was holding those scary HV high frequency currents with skin effects to make photos like those etc  :-DD

Update: In photo above from wiki: Mark Twain in Tesla's lab, 1894

It was hundred years ago-lets take advantage of high speed nowadays mosfets  >:D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:01:18 pm by eneuro »
-||-|-

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 01:40:14 pm »
The RF harmonics, I doesn’t sound like that current experiment involves a coil radiator (the secondary).
What I observed with the little one, it’s an LC circuit, the secondary and the imaginary capacitor,
so the radiator is part of a not very good or narrow filter, but still a filter.
From the secondary I wasn’t able to receive the next harmonic to the fundamental,
and the primary, although roughly rectangular was also beginning to look sloped when oscillating.
The little circuit, the collector of a power transistor or FET is driving the secondary with pulsed DC which should look square without the coil.

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 01:58:09 pm »
You mentioned the modulated coils, I did that for the little one also.

This is digital modulation, but a little trick, the digital frequency output is a tri-state pin
that can control the coil on, coil off, or partial power about 30% of the transistor saturation.
The trick is the 7805 for micro power supply is referencing above ground for the rest of the circuit.
Turning the port pin high & low for frequency toggles on and partial on states.
Turning the port pin input draws a little current from the base of the power transistor needed to turn it off.

I have frequencies for audio display with plasma, or visual display.
It would be possible with the three states to do a pseudo sawtooth or triangle wave.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 02:06:07 pm by @rt »

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 12:32:59 am »
Here you go, can be heard loud enough.
One of the examples is modulated about 50 Hz, sounds like a larger AC Tesla coil :D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 10:48:19 am »
It would be possible with the three states to do a pseudo sawtooth or triangle wave.
Designing right now I believe more powerfull half bridge mosfets PCBs to be able easy scale its power just by adding more mosfets if full H-bridge suplied by rectified 230VAC mains, so I hope tomorow will be able test my concept with using ZVS driver as GDTs pulses source to drive H-bridge with decent gate currents ;)

Hopefully, the closest neighbours houses are  50m-100m away from our yard, so there is a chance that light bulbs in their house will no glow in the middle of the night during this WPT experiment using more powerfull 325VDC full wave H-bridge  :-DD
-||-|-

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 06:57:29 pm »
Even better if it burns Edison filaments :D

So what I finally got going tonight, I took a signal from this inductive coupling to the coil primary
to look at the coil’s ever changing resonant frequency in real time:

Then count that frequency in real time, and divide it to modulate audio over plasma derived from the resonant frequency of the coil! :D
One trick is to not use pulse modulation for the audio modulation because it’s cuts off the frequency feedback,
so I modulated it AM between 100% and 40%.

Hehe.. ;D

« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 07:00:35 pm by @rt »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 08:42:56 pm »
Even better if it burns Edison filaments :D
Neon flourescent light bulbs are in my interest while it  allows make tricks like this  ;)

Fluorescent Lights under High Voltage Power Lines!

I will try tomorow run my H-bridge powered from rectified mains (limited current and fuse of course) driven by ZVS driver GDTs,  since half bridge PCBs prototypes are etched and ready to solder mosfets  ;)
-||-|-

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf