Author Topic: The perils of.. using breadboards (was.. of using any old schematic off the web)  (Read 9188 times)

Offline smjcukTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I just knocked up a negative voltage generator with a 555 and simple capacitive voltage inverter on the output. To be honest I blindly copied the design off the web.

So with a 1M load (the multimeter), yay -12v as expected. Not bad for a "I can't be bothered to design something properly" job.

Let's try 20mA load which is a respectable amount of load so on goes a 560 ohm resistor. 21.4mA but close enough.

Moral of the story: don't just copy anything off the web and assume it works nicely.

EDIT: See later. The schematic is fine...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:57:20 pm by smjcuk »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: The perils of copying any old schematic off the web...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:36:36 am »
I never got a 555 to go like that. Either it detonated and blows itself to bits or just sits there and does nothing. I did try running a ultrasonic generator using a 555, and used the TO100 can versions, so I could put a heatsink on it, I knew it was going to get hot driving essentially a 100n capacitor at 40kHz. It did, but survived.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:41:45 am »
Indeed same. It's why I decided to photograph it. Amazingly while it was smoking away it was delivering 9v @ 20mA so it was actually working. Going to stick a big emitter follower on a fresh one later.

The smoked 555 still works as a timer as well which is impressive. Binning it though as the case is cracked. Not sire how much magic it lost.

This is interim while I wait for some tl7660 devices to turn up.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:53:39 am »
Care to post a link to the website?

Was the breadboard damaged by the heat?

Offline wagon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 11:58:12 am »
I had one of those blow up like that.  Lump of charcoal....
Hiding from the missus, she doesn't understand.

Offline Halvmand

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 12:01:42 pm »
I had the almost exact same experience yesterday.
555 timer for negative rail. While testing it with different loads, the 555 gave up it's smoke.

Turned out to be a misplaced 3,3 ohm resistor instead of the 330 ohm my box indicated  |O Don't always trust your parts boxes.

What's wierd is your's crapped it self at 20 mA. Mine delivers 50mA without ripple and a 470 uF output cap while the temp is <50 deg C.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:03:28 pm »
Care to post a link to the website?

Was the breadboard damaged by the heat?

http://www.csgnetwork.com/ne555c1.html

Breadboard was a little melted and burned. I tend to do all my first attempts at stuff on a cheapy breadboard rather than my nice wisher one as I have no intention of nuking that :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 12:10:14 pm »
I had the almost exact same experience yesterday.
555 timer for negative rail. While testing it with different loads, the 555 gave up it's smoke.

Turned out to be a misplaced 3,3 ohm resistor instead of the 330 ohm my box indicated  |O Don't always trust your parts boxes.

What's wierd is your's crapped it self at 20 mA. Mine delivers 50mA without ripple and a 470 uF output cap while the temp is <50 deg C.

Yeah thats what I was hoping for. I need a simple -/+9v supply to run an op amp circuit off. I dont have the luxury of a working dual rail supply (well I do have an HP6236b but the tracking isn't working well and the caps are bad). Plus I'm trying to standardise on 12v sources due to a potential move to a boat.

I checked the whole thing three times over before I powered up and checked all values. I've got a few 555s left - will attempt another go later.

I've drafted a design with just transistors using a multivibrator, follower, diode-cap inverter and two simple regulators with zeners so will try that as well.

Its all fun even if the remainder of the family are complianing about smoke inhalation :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:14:21 pm by smjcuk »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 12:17:56 pm »
That circuit doesn't look too bad. I certainly would not have expected it to fail like that. Perhaps the 555 had already been damaged?

Use lower value capacitors (try 10µF), add some decoupling and a 10nF capacitor from pin 5 to 0V. There should be no need for booster transistors at this low current.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:56:35 pm by Hero999 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 12:19:29 pm »
Was a fresh 555 straight out of a tube. Thanks for the suggestions - will look at those too.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 12:36:24 pm »
Cool thanks for suggestion.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 12:38:26 pm »
Moral: always use an appropriate current limit on your supply.

Too many tales of my own that I now do that by default nowadays.

I still have these little bugger ups though, particularly on power supplies.

It works the other way too. You set current limit to what you think is appropriate on an MCU project, then spend two hours trying to figure out why it doesn't work when you turn the clock up to 11.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 12:46:32 pm »
Agree entirely. This was powered off 8xAA batteries which can shift a ton of current. I usually stick a 1W 470 ohm resistor in series with the supply but I didn't today :)

Problem I've got is I've got the kit (I have a working TTi PL330 supply) but no space to set up a bench at the moment.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 12:48:20 pm »
That's pretty strange. By an odd coincidence I happen to have the exact same circuit, from the exact same source, that I built up some weeks ago. Here it is with a 330 ohm resistor as load, 27 mA. No sign of misbehaviour from the 555, cool to the touch. (NE555P flavor)