Author Topic: The uBeam FAQ  (Read 273463 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: The uBeam FAQ
« Reply #1025 on: October 31, 2017, 01:22:27 pm »
That would be apposite, given that the current system seems to be mostly powered by hot air.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1026 on: October 31, 2017, 06:42:14 pm »
Have Lumia Capital been an investor before?
This page I think is new, only 3 days old:
http://lumiacapital.com/companies/ubeam/

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1027 on: October 31, 2017, 09:00:40 pm »
Looks like between 9 June and 30 September:

OUT:
Mark Cuban
Tony Hsieh
Marissa Mayer
Dan Gilbert

IN:
Lumia Capital

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:02:36 pm by Howardlong »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1028 on: October 31, 2017, 10:20:03 pm »
Looks like between 9 June and 30 September:

OUT:
Mark Cuban
Tony Hsieh
Marissa Mayer
Dan Gilbert

IN:
Lumia Capital

Suckers!  :-DD

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
  • 100% Brand New and High Quality, in theory.
« Reply #1029 on: October 31, 2017, 11:49:37 pm »
Have Lumia Capital been an investor before?

There seems to be a few mentions of them around mid 2015, surely they haven't invested twice.  :o :horse:

Lumia Capital
June 2015 – August 2015 (3 months)
Expansion-stage VC partnering with leading tech companies in under-invested emerging markets and forward-thinking US companies targeting these markets to accelerate growth.
Representative investments include: uBeam,

https://www.linkedin.com/in/stephaniefei
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:54:00 pm by StillTrying »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1030 on: November 01, 2017, 12:36:00 am »
There seems to be a few mentions of them around mid 2015, surely they haven't invested twice.  :o :horse:

Maybe. The Wayback archive shows no mention of them before, and their website page for uBeam shows as being updated a few days ago. i.e. shows up in Google search for last week.

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1031 on: November 01, 2017, 04:22:23 am »
I think this is just a cleanup of the webpage by someone at uBeam - claiming to be a "Mark Cuban/Marissa Meyer backed startup" gets a little long in the tooth after 5 years and 2 intervening rounds of funding that those people skipped. From what I can see there along with comparison to SEC documents, I expect this is now just those who invested in the Series A (2014) and subsequent convertible note round (2015). This site lists Lumia as having invested in 2014 in the Series A

https://thenordicnumbers.thenordicweb.com/companies/ubeam

What does seem to have popped up is InFocus Capital Partners. This document is from January 2017 but the investment may have been in April 2016. Looks to be some opthamologists from Chicago who have an investment group that creates individual LLCs as investment vehicles for either crowdfunding or small angel groups. I think (but am not sure) to meet SEC rules this has to be part of the convertible note from 2015 but that's a messy area and I'm certain there won't be enough public info to be able to tell.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1695863/000169586317000001/xslFormDX01/primary_doc.xml

Avoiding, again, institutional money and taking instead what some may call "dumb money", i.e. those without the resources to do detailed due diligence and who buy on the 'sizzle'.

So, no, I still don't think there's public evidence they have received new institutional funding.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:27:39 am by PaulReynolds »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1032 on: November 02, 2017, 11:25:52 pm »
"Looks to be some opthamologists from Chicago"

If they can't find this thread, they should have gone to Specsavers.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1033 on: November 03, 2017, 01:13:07 am »

Surely you wouldn't just leave your money blindly to the VC's?
You'd at least Google what your money is going into, surely?
My video cannot be missed in either search.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #1034 on: November 03, 2017, 01:51:52 am »

I think that is exactly what happens.
VC investing is all about getting the one big 100-fold return among many other mediocre returns or total losses.
To get the one big hit, you throw money at all kinds of dubious propositions.

By the way, the Specsavers reference above relates to a UK TV commercial campaign:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1035 on: November 03, 2017, 03:04:04 am »

I used to work in the City of London financial district (geographically, not in finance myself) and the density of betting shops there compared to the average high street at the time was a clear indication that high finance was just sophisticated gambling. You'd see brokers (in their trading jackets) wander out from one of the exchanges where they had been placing million pound bets trades and into the bookies where they'd place £1000 cash bets.

No matter what justifications (e.g. studying form) the average gambling addict puts forward we know that it's not a rational activity. Everything I've seen over the years suggests that holds true for high finance gambling trading as well.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix, PaulReynolds

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1036 on: November 07, 2017, 12:34:00 pm »
What the hell can they be doing, they don't make anything. :horse:

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1037 on: November 07, 2017, 06:52:59 pm »

I used to work in the City of London financial district (geographically, not in finance myself) and the density of betting shops there compared to the average high street at the time was a clear indication that high finance was just sophisticated gambling. You'd see brokers (in their trading jackets) wander out from one of the exchanges where they had been placing million pound bets trades and into the bookies where they'd place £1000 cash bets.

No matter what justifications (e.g. studying form) the average gambling addict puts forward we know that it's not a rational activity. Everything I've seen over the years suggests that holds true for high finance gambling trading as well.

Blimey, you're showing your age, I haven't seen trading jackets in the City for maybe fifteen years! I am not convinced there's a higher percentage of bookies in the square mile than any other place with a similar day time population, it's not something that's particularly stood out for me, but you may be right. Most of those who like a flutter (as opposed to an "investment" *cough*) tend to go in for spread betting - which is interesting because despite the name, bizarrely spread betting regulated by the FCA (Financial Conduct Authority) whereas a bookie is regulated by the Gambling Commission.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of how VCs function other than that I shared an office with one 20 years ago and did odd bits of IT maintenance for them. They invested in Pringles is about all I remember, of course they wouldn't be boasting about their failures. They always kept themselves to themselves despite being part of the same company I was doing work for, they were quite aloof. Even then, VCs didn't have a particularly good name. I wonder if they ever have among the general public?

What does have a grain of truth here is an underbelly of coke snorting Gordon Gekko wannabes. You have to know where to look, but it's not difficult to spot. Typically they spend their lives networking after work into the early hours, making sure that when they can rely on someone to give them a job when they get managed out. Usually they jump before that happens. The trait is that they barely last about 18 months before moving on, but there are other slightly more subtle traits such as being risk takers, and lacking empathy, i.e. not particularly nice examples of human beings. What I've never figured out is how they manage to survive so long doing this: in my line of work reputation is quite key, and it's difficult to hide. It's not at all unusual for a CV/resume to come across my desk and I know who they are.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1038 on: November 08, 2017, 12:00:48 am »

Blimey, you're showing your age, I haven't seen trading jackets in the City for maybe fifteen years!

It is true, I am grey-bearded. The ISP I used to run operations for had an office in Cannon Street from about 1996-2000, then we moved to a office in the Docklands. Now bring me some nude virgins, I have something to calibrate...

I am not convinced there's a higher percentage of bookies in the square mile than any other place with a similar day time population, it's not something that's particularly stood out for me, but you may be right.

You've got to remember that this is before the huge rise in numbers of high-street betting shops that's plagued the UK over the past few years.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of how VCs function other than that I shared an office with one 20 years ago and did odd bits of IT maintenance for them.

Ah, so you'll know first hand that they drink human blood for breakfast?  :)

I worked for a small AI software house back at the end of the eighties which had some VCs on the board. I soon got to understand why some call them vulture capitalists. I prefer to do business with people where a handshake is all the contract you need and you where don't need to wear a Kevlar back protector. If I was ever to do business that involved VCs again I would have poison-pill shares, real poison pills hidden near the coffee machine and a stake, holy water and a crucifix in my desk drawer. I'm sure there must be at least one honourable VC out there, but I haven't met them yet.

Offline lockes_empty_cabinet

« Reply #1039 on: November 10, 2017, 10:48:25 am »
Based on a public Facebook post (https://www.facebook.com/meredith.perry/posts/10210183826215652), looks like they may be having issues with HAZMAT and lab areas in an office building. Who woulda thunk it?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1040 on: November 10, 2017, 01:36:54 pm »
Based on a public Facebook post (https://www.facebook.com/meredith.perry/posts/10210183826215652), looks like they may be having issues with HAZMAT and lab areas in an office building. Who woulda thunk it?

Sounds like they still have some cash left to burn.
They can't have gotten new money otherwise Meredith would be crowing about it.

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1041 on: November 10, 2017, 02:49:07 pm »
You guys beat me to it. I just wrote a post on this.

http://liesandstartuppr.blogspot.com/2017/11/ubeam-office-space-woes.html

Online wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1042 on: November 10, 2017, 02:52:52 pm »
Rapid aging of whisky using ultrasonics is a new thing apparently. Maybe the knowledge Ubeam has gained can be put to use in whisky production.

I've always thought that nothing learned is ever truely wasted. Maybe there will be other applications that were awaiting better ultrasonic transducers. I'm assuming that the engineers who were working on this realised it was never going to transmit power and they quietly, wisely, learned something.

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1043 on: November 10, 2017, 02:58:15 pm »
Rapid aging of whisky using ultrasonics is a new thing apparently. Maybe the knowledge Ubeam has gained can be put to use in whisky production.

I've always thought that nothing learned is ever truely wasted. Maybe there will be other applications that were awaiting better ultrasonic transducers. I'm assuming that the engineers who were working on this realised it was never going to transmit power and they quietly, wisely, learned something.

If only one of those engineers would blog about it and give some insight into just that...

Offline drussell

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #1044 on: November 10, 2017, 03:11:43 pm »
They did seem to have some interesting insight into the beam-forming stuff, but other than that...

HA!  Hahahahah!!  Suckers....

:palm:

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1045 on: November 11, 2017, 12:05:48 am »
Sounds like she hasn't used all that non-expert, non-Asperger, non-linear thinking skillset she has. After a few hours of simple research she could come up with a Steve Jobs quote, and all would be resolved.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1046 on: November 11, 2017, 10:56:50 am »
All I can think of is that they're going to say, "Look at all this space we've got, we can start mass production as soon as we get more funding".  :-DD  :horse:  |O  :-BROKE  :palm:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1047 on: November 14, 2017, 10:08:50 pm »
MORE FUNDING!  :palm:
Just got this email:

OurCrowd is investing in uBeam, a US based company pioneering long-range wireless charging for electronic devices. In an era when consumers are attached to electronic devices, one of the most common pain points is poor battery life. uBeam has developed an innovative solution which enables untethered long-range wireless charging for battery-powered devices.

We are joined in this round by Andreessen Horowitz (Facebook, Twitter, Airbnb, Skype), Upfront Ventures (Bill Me Later, Ring), Founders Fund (SpaceX, Palantir, Lyft), Ludlow Ventures (AngelList, Product Hunt) and Mark Cuban, owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks.

We’re hosting a webinar/conference call (Wednesday, November 15th at 7:00PM Israel / 12:00PM New York / 9:00AM San Francisco) for investors to meet CEO Meredith Perry and learn more about uBeam.

Register

The Need for Untethered Wireless Charging

Everyone who owns a mobile phone or device has encountered the struggle of low battery life. To solve this, uBeam has developed an innovative solution which enables true wireless charging for battery-powered devices. uBeam works by harnessing the power from ultrasound. The system wirelessly transmits focused beams of ultrasonic energy to devices outfitted with their proprietary receiver. The ultrasonic receiver technology (which can be attached to or built into a range of devices) converts acoustic energy into electrical energy, which charges the device. The solution is expected to be capable of delivering energy to charge devices like smartphones, wearables, IOT devices and more in real-world scenarios such as coffee shops, office space, homes, gyms, airports, or anywhere a transmitter can be placed.

Unique Solution with Fully Functional Prototype

uBeam has already built and demonstrated several fully functional, prototype wireless power transfer systems, which can charge multiple smartphones in the air simultaneously, even while the phones are in use. uBeam’s solution has been deemed the wireless power “category winner” by some of the largest electronics companies worldwide as it can transmit the most power over the largest distance to the greatest number of devices simultaneously while staying safe, within regulatory limits, and without issues of interference. uBeam’s technological approach has a clear advantage over others as it is the only known wireless power technology that doesn’t use electromagnetic energy for power transmission. As ultrasound isn’t on the electromagnetic spectrum, uBeam is therefore not limited by the regulatory, safety, and interference hurdles of its competitors. uBeam’s technology does not interfere with other electromagnetic technologies that use RF and microwaves such as standard communication systems and devices (WiFi, radio, cell phones, etc.). The Company has a strong intellectual property portfolio with 92 domestic and international patent assets, and 17 granted patents.

>>>View full diligence material on uBeam here

Market Opportunity

According to Allied Market Research, the global wireless charging market is set to reach $37.2B by 2022, growing at a CAGR of 44.7% from 2016 to 2022. Research shows that increased sales in the portable electronics and wearables market, as well as in the electric vehicles market, have created demand for new forms of energy, further driving the growth of the wireless charging market. uBeam believes their technology has applications that extend well beyond power transmission - into haptics, autonomous vehicles, rear parking sensors, and more. The rear parking sensor market alone is a several billion dollar industry.

Skilled Management Team

uBeam is led by CEO Meredith Perry, who was selected for Forbes’ prestigious ‘30 Under 30: Energy’ list, and for Fast Company’s ‘100 Most Creative People In Business’ list. Meredith is joined by EVP & CTO, Larry Pendergrass, a physicist and former engineering executive at Tektronix/Keithley, Agilent, and HP, as well as COO Kostas Mallios, who recently sold his last two companies to major corporations in a span of 24 months. Kostas was a GM at Microsoft for 15 years and was also the Vice President of Intellectual Ventures.

I'm Interested

In the long term, the investment committee at OurCrowd believes that uBeam could become an infrastructure technology similar to Wi-Fi, providing seamless charging, data transfer, and seemingly infinite battery power.

Looking forward to you joining us on the call,
OurCrowd Investments

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #1048 on: November 14, 2017, 10:40:47 pm »
You should change the link: '>>>View full diligence material on uBeam here'   to something more appropriate and send to all recipients :)

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1049 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:03 pm »
Someone should send the id investors some useful links and videos.

"rear parking sensors, and more. The rear parking sensor market alone is a several billion dollar industry."

As if uBean can do receiving, and all the little white rectangles painted all over the place would look a mess. :)

"In the long term, the investment committee at OurCrowd believes that uBeam could become an infrastructure technology similar to Wi-Fi, providing seamless charging, data transfer, and seemingly infinite battery power."

Well erm, you're wrong.  :horse:

"Looking forward to you joining us on the call,"

It's tempting.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:53:23 pm by StillTrying »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf