Author Topic: The uBeam FAQ  (Read 642018 times)

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
Re: The uBeam FAQ
« Reply #1375 on: December 08, 2018, 12:17:13 pm »
This reminds me of Altium. Founder Nick Martin (a really nice and smart guy) ran the company with an iron fist for over 20 years and drove the share price into the ground in pursuit of whatever his latest vision was. He just wasn't a practical business guy and really had place no running a public company. It wasn't until he bailed out his buddy (and former early employee) buy buying his company (Morfik) with stock did hid buddy along with the board then have enough voting power to do a hostile takeover and finally boot him out.
They then righted the ship and focused on core stuff, ran it like a business, and within 8 years the stock climbed from 10 cents to $30.

For me, the analogy broke down at the "really nice and smart" bit.  ;D

However, you make a great point that every so often a moron finds a golden goose by sheer luck (there's a lot of morons out there, random chance has one succeeding eventually), and the goose keeps producing eggs despite the attempts of the moron to strangle it, and they view this as a sign of both their genius and a divine right to rule. I use the term "100th Idiot" in recognition of Iain M. Banks' quote.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:25:37 pm by PaulReynolds »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1376 on: December 08, 2018, 02:17:45 pm »
 :palm:   https://twitter.com/InfluenceDigest/status/1068563682362220544 :horse:

"It is her tech-savvy skills that earned her the respect of many young millennials."  :palm:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:21:53 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1377 on: December 08, 2018, 04:01:43 pm »
:palm:   https://twitter.com/InfluenceDigest/status/1068563682362220544 :horse:

"It is her tech-savvy skills that earned her the respect of many young millennials."  :palm:

But not the respect of engineers...

Wow, their research is a bit weak if they didn't know they'd given the award to someone who appears to have just been fired.

Mark Suster also gets a mention but Brock Pierce? Err, they do know there's a bit of an underage kids molestation story going around there? As John Oliver said, Google "Brock Pierce scandal". From https://hornet.com/stories/brock-pierce-scandal-john-oliver-2/

"Just prior to DEN’s IPO, a young man identified only as Jake W. filed a lawsuit accusing Collins-Rector of sexually molesting him for three years, beginning in 1993, when W. was only 13. The IPO was cancelled; Collins-Rector, Pierce and Collins-Rector’s partner Chad Shackley resigned; and the company filed for bankruptcy.

When the company collapsed, Collins-Rector, Pierce and Shackley fled the United States after the three men had been accused of sexually abusing, drugging and making violent threats against underage DEN employees. The three were extradited to the United States for charges of transporting a minor across state lines for the purpose of engaging in sexual acts, however only Collins-Rector was charged."

Thanks for finding this, it might be blogpost worthy.

Edit: Yes, it was blog post worthy. https://liesandstartuppr.blogspot.com/2018/12/awards-lists-media-shows-how-valuable.html

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:18:43 pm by PaulReynolds »

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1378 on: December 09, 2018, 06:44:39 am »

I don't think the facts, or my personal experience of the situation, can support the assertion Perry was manipulated into that position.  The TEDx talk (below) where she disparages engineers is from April 2012, not even a year after the "All Things D" demo, prior to even the majority of the seed round money (which I think was summer 2012), and definitively prior to the Series A (~$10m in Sept/Oct 2014). At that time the only "adults" that were around consistently that I am aware of were her father, and Board of Directors member Katie McMahon.

Point made, I'm convinced.
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 06:49:29 am by sdpkom »

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1379 on: December 09, 2018, 06:55:50 am »
She is only missing the Frost & Sullivan award, everything else is looking good. ::)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Howardlong

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1380 on: December 09, 2018, 07:42:32 am »
However, you make a great point that every so often a moron finds a golden goose by sheer luck (there's a lot of morons out there, random chance has one succeeding eventually), and the goose keeps producing eggs despite the attempts of the moron to strangle it, and they view this as a sign of both their genius and a divine right to rule. I use the term "100th Idiot" in recognition of Iain M. Banks' quote.

In this case it wasn't dumb luck, but years of hard work building up a small loyal fan base with a good program at a good price. But when the IPO happened and the "vision" stuff started happening it was the extremely loyal and tolerant customer base, the lack of real competition at the price point, and that the company never had any debt is what kept them from going under. Plus it is very difficult to switch CAD programs, so most just stuck with it. They were (in)famous for shooting themselves in the foot and focusing on everything but the stuff the users wanted, but those "1000 true fans" as they say is what kept it going.

The following users thanked this post: PaulReynolds

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1381 on: December 09, 2018, 07:52:17 am »
She is only missing the Frost & Sullivan award, everything else is looking good. ::)

:-DD

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1382 on: December 09, 2018, 07:52:37 am »
Her next award, a Nobel prize!  :-DD
https://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/news/2015/02/10/upstart100-meredith-perry.html

As for this:
At just 25, Perry isn't just the entrepreneur behind uBeam; she's truly an inventor, developing technology that transmits power wirelessly using ultrasound
She didn't develop anything, all those engineers she despises did all the work.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:56:45 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #1383 on: December 13, 2018, 01:12:40 pm »
"And she's probably the smartest person in most rooms she stands in."

Ummm...  Yeah, not so much....  I beg to differ.  :)

Cue the intelligence vs "smarts" debate, I suppose, since I'm sure she's not dumb but is one of those who is certainly extremely delusional in the typical style of "if you just believe hard enough..." etc.   :palm:

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1384 on: December 14, 2018, 11:13:48 am »
"if you just believe hard enough..."

... you can be really tall and play on the basktball team!

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1385 on: December 22, 2018, 03:34:28 am »
"if you just believe hard enough..."

... you can be really tall and play on the basktball team!

Down here, your company will float too! >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1386 on: December 22, 2018, 12:43:00 pm »
uBeen have been very quiet for months, perhaps they're not doing anything useful, or perhaps they're snowed under with licensing requests. :horse:

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1387 on: December 27, 2018, 03:04:15 am »
uBeam to Unveil Ultrasonic Wireless Power System at CES 2019   https://blueequity.io/r/7534

Isn't that what they've supposed to have been doing for the last 6 years. :horse:

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1388 on: December 27, 2018, 03:41:14 am »
uBeam to Unveil Ultrasonic Wireless Power System at CES 2019   https://blueequity.io/r/7534

Isn't that what they've supposed to have been doing for the last 6 years. :horse:

I just came here to post the same thing. This should be awesome, that's why you announce it the day after Christmas during the best news cycle for press releases...

I'm doing a year end blog on them, I'll need to add some questions for the attendees to ask to get the most from their visit to the CES booth.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1389 on: December 27, 2018, 03:50:48 am »
"I'm doing a year end blog on them"

I'm waiting for it. :) :horse:

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1390 on: December 27, 2018, 09:12:58 am »
Here it is, the uBeam yearly product announcement for 2019.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ubeam-to-unveil-ultrasonic-wireless-power-system-at-ces-2019-300770860.html

It is also the only wireless power technology that is not electromagnetic based, which provides unique advantages for the users.

Said advantages being.....it's bigger, causes a minor headache but it does not cause cancer, while transmitting the same huge amounts of energy into nearby space as Energous and delivering almost the same tiny amount of power into your phone as Energous.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 09:26:19 am by sdpkom »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1391 on: January 04, 2019, 05:30:27 am »

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ubeam-to-unveil-ultrasonic-wireless-power-system-at-ces-2019-300770860.html

PLEASE tell me someone is going to this  ;D

Invite only of course in a private booth to keep out pesky engineers!

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1392 on: January 04, 2019, 09:15:48 am »

PLEASE tell me someone is going to this  ;D

Invite only of course in a private booth to keep out pesky engineers!
They're probably so desperate they'd invite anyone who showed interest - we need an EEVBlog undercover agent...
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1393 on: January 04, 2019, 09:18:24 am »
About uBeam
uBeam is an innovation leader in the wireless power industry
leader in what respect exactly - delusional bullshit ?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1394 on: January 06, 2019, 07:35:42 pm »
leader in what respect exactly - delusional bullshit ?

They must be in the top 50 long range wireless power startups (there are 4-5 of those)

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1395 on: January 06, 2019, 11:42:17 pm »
"According to the company officials, uBeam’s representatives will present a technology demonstration of the company’s new contact-free power-at-a-distance ultrasonic wireless power system. uBeam’s leadership and engineering teams will be available on-site to discuss in detail the technology and its potential applications and partnership opportunities."

"The technology which is the only wireless power technology that is not electromagnetic based will prove beneficial to customers who strictly depend on “no electromagnetic field zone”"

https://ciotechie.com/news/ubeam-to-showcase-the-first-of-a-kind-wireless-power-transfer-tech-at-ces-2019/

LOL  :horse:

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1396 on: January 07, 2019, 11:47:22 am »
"The technology which is the only wireless power technology that is not electromagnetic based will prove beneficial to customers who strictly depend on “no electromagnetic field zone”"

I figured out their marketing plan!

They're going to sell these to "electrosensitive" people so they can charge their cell phones without getting ill.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #1397 on: January 07, 2019, 12:05:15 pm »
I figured out their marketing plan!
They're going to sell these to "electrosensitive" people so they can charge their cell phones without getting ill.
Electrosensitive people without pets.  Just wait until they sell one to somebody with an unstable doberman or pit-bull.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1398 on: January 07, 2019, 12:48:05 pm »
The fatal flaw is that electrosensitives don't own smartphones...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1399 on: January 07, 2019, 01:25:41 pm »
"According to the company officials, uBeam’s representatives will present a technology demonstration of the company’s new contact-free power-at-a-distance ultrasonic wireless power system. uBeam’s leadership and engineering teams will be available on-site to discuss in detail the technology and its potential applications and partnership opportunities."

You mean their CEO who is the former HR person  :-DD
And who is CTO this month?  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf