Author Topic: The uBeam FAQ  (Read 649620 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: The uBeam FAQ
« Reply #1500 on: January 24, 2019, 09:10:40 pm »
If they need to target multiple devices, then the beam will need to move reasonably frequently.

Considering the capital cost of the transmitter and its installation compared to more conventional means this is incredibly limited in terms of practical use cases.

Offline timothyaag

• Contributor
« Reply #1501 on: January 25, 2019, 04:09:44 pm »
If they need to target multiple devices, then the beam will need to move reasonably frequently.

Considering the capital cost of the transmitter and its installation compared to more conventional means this is incredibly limited in terms of practical use cases.

Under what scenarios is running a few wires not practical but a wireless power installation is?

Offline TrickyNekro

• Frequent Contributor
  • Drinking Frappé on the way to Isomnia!
    • Youtube channel, electronics and more ;-)
« Reply #1502 on: January 25, 2019, 04:19:54 pm »

They don´t need to, if they are smart about it, there are many great things you can do with beam forming, not that their scenario is by any means practical but...
just for the science of things...
If you are an engineer and you are not tired...
You are doing it wrong!

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1503 on: January 25, 2019, 06:28:47 pm »
Well at least we now know why the demonstration was done in private, I wouldn't have wanted anyone to see it either. :horse:

OurCrowd  -  creating junk tech so you don't have to.

https://twitter.com/OurCrowd/status/1089479639423160320
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 06:54:22 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1504 on: January 27, 2019, 08:53:59 pm »
I leave this here, without further comment.

https://www.wotechleaders.com/meredith-perry

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1505 on: January 28, 2019, 12:50:37 am »

I thought that was old but it actually says: "and is currently on the board of advisors of her company." :palm:
and
"has given a TEDx talk on how to be a technology innovator which IEEE boasts as "amazing" and certainly proved you do not have to be an engineer to create something."  :palm:
and
"While Forbes has compared her to the likes of other entrepreneurs, she is in a league of her own that is near impossible to match."  :palm:

The transducers are on the same table as in  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/the-ubeam-faq/msg2127085/#msg2127085
perhaps they've never moved from there. :horse:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 12:53:07 am by StillTrying »

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1506 on: January 28, 2019, 07:13:34 am »
I thought that was old but it actually says: "and is currently on the board of advisors of her company.

The pictures are some of the stock ones used in various magazine PR spots during the 2015 convertible note fundraise. The one in the hat is from an NBC article in March 2015, the one with the transducers on the table is from the July 2015 Fortune magazine "Is this woman the next Elon Musk?" piece.

NBC        https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/mobile/could-wireless-tech-kill-phone-charger-n357906
Fortune   http://fortune.com/2015/07/29/ubeam-meredith-perry-wireless-charging/

As best I can tell this site's been up around a week. While the copyright is listed as 2018, it does say "New feature every month" on the home page, and Perry is the only feature.

Main page says "Sponsored by a start-up in Marina Del Rey" and the "Get in Touch" button sends an email to... eeops@ubeam.com
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:22:36 am by PaulReynolds »

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1507 on: January 28, 2019, 07:38:56 am »
I thought she's on the board of directors of uBeam (the team that actually makes decisions and has two main responsibilities hire/fire the CEO and approve the budget) and not on the board of advisers (list of trophy characters that you use for PR).

both uBeam.com and Linkedin say she's on the board of directors.
I believe she knows the difference....

Maybe it's their way of saying she's no longer on the board of directors?

Maybe the email should have been oops@ubeam instead?

The following users thanked this post: PaulReynolds

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1508 on: January 28, 2019, 07:51:09 am »
Whois lookup also returns ubeam inc.

When somebody says that some venture is sponsored by an organization, am I the only one that assumes that the sponsor is not the owner of the venture?
Dishonest.

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1509 on: January 28, 2019, 02:05:28 pm »
Also says the domain WoTechLeaders.com was registered on 2019-01-15 (2 weeks ago).

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1510 on: January 30, 2019, 07:42:37 am »
I thought she's on the board of directors of uBeam (the team that actually makes decisions and has two main responsibilities hire/fire the CEO and approve the budget) and not on the board of advisers (list of trophy characters that you use for PR).

Someone at uBeam reads EEVBlog - the latest version says "directors". But you're not mad, the Wayback version confirms that used to be "advisors".

So to whoever is reading, could you check the fonts as well, you swap back and forward a couple of times, it's annoying and doesn't look professional.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:36:44 am by PaulReynolds »

The following users thanked this post: sdpkom

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1511 on: January 31, 2019, 12:54:19 pm »
They took your PaulRaynolds's advice, and it appears this website is down....

Does respond to ping though
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ping WoTechLeaders.com
PING WoTechLeaders.com (104.197.104.56) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 56.104.197.104.bc.googleusercontent.com (104.197.104.56): icmp_seq=1 ttl=40 time=168 ms
64 bytes from 56.104.197.104.bc.googleusercontent.com (104.197.104.56): icmp_seq=2 ttl=40 time=168 ms
64 bytes from 56.104.197.104.bc.googleusercontent.com (104.197.104.56): icmp_seq=3 ttl=40 time=175 ms
64 bytes from 56.104.197.104.bc.googleusercontent.com (104.197.104.56): icmp_seq=4 ttl=40 time=173 ms
64 bytes from 56.104.197.104.bc.googleusercontent.com (104.197.104.56): icmp_seq=5 ttl=40 time=167 ms
64 bytes from 56.104.197.104.bc.googleusercontent.com (104.197.104.56): icmp_seq=6 ttl=40 time=168 ms

The following users thanked this post: PaulReynolds, djos

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1512 on: February 07, 2019, 08:39:59 am »
uBeam is looking for an Applications Engineering Manager who will be customer-facing and coming up with innovative solutions to try and get us out of this mess.  :horse:

https://twitter.com/eerosale/status/1093339631637020672

Industry of Things gets confused with Internet of Things and invites uBeam.

https://twitter.com/Elizabe51649459/status/1093499213701439489
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:50:36 pm by StillTrying »

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1513 on: February 08, 2019, 04:11:08 am »
uBeam is looking for an Applications Engineering Manager who will be customer-facing and coming up with innovative solutions to try and get us out of this mess.  :horse:

https://twitter.com/eerosale/status/1093339631637020672

Industry of Things gets confused with Internet of Things and invites uBeam.

https://twitter.com/Elizabe51649459/status/1093499213701439489

I was going to say that it's a bit bizarre to advertise a position only through the account of an individual employee, but eventually they did get the position up on the main uBeam site.

https://ubeam-inc.workable.com/j/6583501314

This is the first position I've seen them advertise in months, and as far as I can see from LinkedIn, they've hired 3 techs and replaced the CEO since raising a claimed $25 million over 13 months ago. Having read through it, I'm really not sure what they are looking for, seems a bit of everything in there, tech skills, leadership, communication, on-site support, product strategy and planning, product management. What's the strategy with this hire? Actually doing something, or making it look like they're doing something?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1514 on: February 09, 2019, 09:13:15 am »

Site down?

https://web.archive.org/web/20190130083336/https://www.wotechleaders.com/meredith-perry

In the early stages of her career, Meredith Perry has given a TEDx talk on how to be a technology innovator which IEEE boasts as "amazing" and certainly proved you do not have to be an engineer to create something.

The IEEE?  :wtf:
UPDATE: Found it:
https://www.facebook.com/IEEE.org/posts/amazing-tedx-talk-by-meredith-perry-founder-and-ceo-of-ubeam-a-company-that-hope/347384548649520/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:19:27 am by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1515 on: February 09, 2019, 10:35:17 am »

I was going to say that it's a bit bizarre to advertise a position only through the account of an individual employee, but eventually they did get the position up on the main uBeam site.

https://ubeam-inc.workable.com/j/6583501314

After 7 years at this the ability to actually launch something surely would be handy!

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1516 on: February 10, 2019, 12:37:26 pm »
Site down?
The IEEE?  :wtf:
UPDATE: Found it:

Where've uBeen, you're about 11 days late. https://liesandstartuppr.blogspot.com/2019/01/startup-pr-102-hagiography.html

We're already waiting for the next comedy caper.

"ability to explain technical points to a variety of audiences, which includes the promotion and demonstration of uBeam technology."

Translation: Must be good at :bullshit:

"Having a successful launch record would be a plus."

Translation: Because for us that would be an absolute miracle.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1517 on: February 10, 2019, 01:47:28 pm »
Where've uBeen, you're about 11 days late. https://liesandstartuppr.blogspot.com/2019/01/startup-pr-102-hagiography.html

A sentence in there brings up an interesting point. What's next for Perry?
I see several possibilities

1) Vanishes never to be seen from again in any tech field. Either:
   a) Deliberately by her own choice because she's jack of this, or can't think of another groundbreaking idea she was so fond to talk up in her Tedx talk.
   or
   b) Because she's done her dash and no one in tech would dare hire her or invest in her again.

2) She has another hair-brained idea and:
   a) Suckers more VC money for it, with new investors falling for the same gimmicks again.
   or
   b) Tries to crowd fund it.

I don't see 2)a) happening as the old investors won't want to get bitten again. And likely the VC community is one big circle-jerk, so I reckon word would get around and her name is mud. Evidenced by Marc Cuban erasing his previous unwavering support for her.

I desperately want 2)b) to happen, that would be hilarious to watch!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1518 on: February 10, 2019, 01:52:18 pm »
"Having a successful launch record would be a plus."
Translation: Because for us that would be an absolute miracle.

I just realised that sentence also implies "Meh, we don't launch real practical stuff anyway, so it's only a small "plus" tacked at the end of our requirements"

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1519 on: February 11, 2019, 12:10:56 am »
I made an update to the Astroturfing blog post. "Upon further investigation and discussions, it looks like the website in question was not an official uBeam attempt at astroturfing, but a genuine effort by individuals to promote women in technology that ended prematurely in large part due to my blog post. While it highlights the rule of "never use company resources for non-company activities", those involved should be commended for promoting role models in an under-represented group (though clearly I'd not personally choose Perry as a role model for anyone). I think this post does make some important points on how companies can and do use PR (and clearly on how company history affects current reception) so while I won't delete the post I have made some updates to reflect this new information, and I'd ask that everyone view the original website, and its creators, in the positive spirit that was intended."

I've had the opinion for a while that certain women CEOs like Perry and Holmes get outsized press on the way up (compared to the many women CEOs who don't... exaggerate... just do a good job and consequently don't get the headlines), and so cause even more harm on the way down to women in STEM. In the last year or two I've moved into positions where I've seen so much abuse of women in engineering, and usually (but not exclusively) at the hands of older white men, I get even angrier at how uBeam, Theranos etc can be used to justify that abuse. In my opinion, association with Perry taints irreparably, and it sets back attempts to correct an unjust status-quo.

Anyway, to repeat from what I added to the blog post "please view the original website, and its creators, in the positive spirit that was intended."

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Kean

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1520 on: February 11, 2019, 12:36:24 am »
A sentence in there brings up an interesting point. What's next for Perry?

Good question and one I'm interested to see myself.

All my opinion of course, but Mark Suster's (not Cuban) deletion of his "I'd fund her next company" posts tells you the opinion within the primo VC community of her. Normally having a failed startup, if you follow the 'rules', can be viewed as a positive, you're experienced, know mistakes to avoid, built up contacts who know and trust you because you dealt fairly and honestly with them, a tech team who will follow you and back you because you backed them when times were tough - but how much of that do you think applies to Perry? More, I wouldn't be surprised if her exit from the company was not done in a 'calm and professional manner', and on top of how she may have acted with the VCs in the past (I have some stories there I would love to tell but frustratingly cannot, though Dave's late 2017 publicizing of her Twitter argument with a prominent VC might give you a taste of things), there may not be many in that community who want to work with her. The only way that changes, I think, is if somehow uBeam sells for a sizable amount, and even then I'm skeptical. Senior tech people won't want to work with her, IMO, so you won't have a chain of competent people like uBeam had (Berte, me, Taffler, Chandler, Pendergrass) to keep things propped up and lend legitimacy in front of a VC. So I could be wrong, but I don't see any significant funding, or any talented tech teams, beating the door down.

I'm wondering about your crowdfunding idea, it's possible, and the general public are easily led on complex tech (see Energous etc), but having worked on crowdfunding campaigns, holy hell they are a lot of work to do well and require discipline and consistency. I'll say no more on that.

Now remember she's been CEO with the power to hire and fire since college, never had a "regular job" with a boss, following instructions, being in by 8 and staying until 5, 5 days a week, every week, being held to metrics and expectations and the same rules as "little people", so while I think there's a potential for a role in marketing I don't see how that happens now. So is there a job where getting the job, and keeping it, are predominantly based on media and PR rather than achievements? With no standard 9 to 5, or boss to tell you to do your job? Where hare-brained unrealistic schemes and exaggeration are the norm, and you are rarely held to account for prior promises, and being a 'victim' is a benefit?

Hmmmm. Politics anyone?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:47:15 am by PaulReynolds »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, nugglix

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1521 on: February 11, 2019, 12:43:12 am »
I just realised that sentence also implies "Meh, we don't launch real practical stuff anyway, so it's only a small "plus" tacked at the end of our requirements"

And I don't know why product launch experience is really valuable when the company has publicly shifted to a B2B model, and so supplies IP/components, rather than finished consumer products. Different skillsets.

I'm really fascinated to see how the new CEO tries to get this thing sold, and so far I'm not sure how this position (the first to be advertised in months and as far as I know, the first non-technician hire since the major fundraise over a year ago) does that. In part because I'm really not sure from the job requirements what they will be doing!

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1522 on: February 11, 2019, 01:13:49 am »
I can't figure the timestamps here but, the website was gone at least 4 or 5, hours before sdpkom's report above appeared  « Reply #1511 on: January 31, 2019, 02:54:19 pm »  No links to PR blog before that/then.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:15:23 am by StillTrying »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1523 on: February 11, 2019, 01:04:21 pm »
I've had the opinion for a while that certain women CEOs like Perry and Holmes get outsized press on the way up (compared to the many women CEOs who don't... exaggerate... just do a good job and consequently don't get the headlines), and so cause even more harm on the way down to women in STEM.

I don't see it that way at all. I, and I suspect many others just see it as "another stupid idea fails", or "corrupt person got busted", or "another delusional fool who didn't listen inevitably fails hard" etc when they fail.
I don't see any damage to "women in STEM", because the women didn't fail because of their gender, that had nothing to do with it, except maybe positive press on the way up that helped make them high profile to begin with.
If anything I see the positive far outweighing the negative, with I imagine many girls seeing them succeed and then fail and saying "Gee, I can be like her but without the fail part because they were delusional/incompetent/corrupt etc".
But there is a whole zillion page thread on gender politics in engineering, so we'll leave it there.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1524 on: February 11, 2019, 01:11:22 pm »
And I don't know why product launch experience is really valuable when the company has publicly shifted to a B2B model, and so supplies IP/components, rather than finished consumer products. Different skillsets.

Maybe they are talking about more internal "products" like development systems they can sell/give to B2B companies interested in the tech for some obscure reason.
The IoT energy harvesting market is already very crowded, if they try and release a system for that market I suspect they will be drowned out in a sea of noise.
They are always welcome to send a dev kit into my Mailbag segment for some publicity  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf