Low Cost PCB's Low Cost Components

Author Topic: The uBeam FAQ  (Read 207984 times)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: The uBeam FAQ
« Reply #375 on: May 11, 2016, 09:48:42 AM »
Prototype build, test and debugging
Yep, this is what VPs usually do.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #376 on: May 11, 2016, 09:49:08 AM »
I am going to reveal my ignorance here (not for the first time) and ask what the "two C's" means.
I have my initial gut response but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure it's from http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/28/electric-liberation/   C as in CFO and COO.
uBeam’s getting ready to ship its wireless phone chargers, so its 26-year old CEO Meredith Perry has hired some hardware industry veterans to whip the business into shape. Former Apple and Palm finance leader Monica Hushen will be uBeam‘s new CFO, and Cisco, Palm, and Nokia VP Jeff Devine is joining as COO.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #377 on: May 11, 2016, 10:04:54 AM »
Heres a line from the new job add.
Accurately summarize and communicate project status, risks, and mitigation plans to other departments and to executive management
If she can get someone to do this then maybe she could learn from them.

It's clear she doesn't want to learn, she wants to be proven right that she is a genius visionary, an outside the box thinker who ignored engineers and experts and made her dream a reality. Because, you know, that's all it takes, belief something will work and it will, if only it doesn't violate the laws of physics (which it doesn't)
Or whatever waffle she said here:

It's like believing that you can make a practical car that goes 2000km/h, it doesn't violate the laws of physics. Forget all those closed box thinking engineers talking about friction and wind resistance and down force etc.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #378 on: May 11, 2016, 11:46:29 AM »
It's clear she doesn't want to learn, she wants to be proven right that she is a genius visionary, an outside the box thinker who ignored engineers and experts and made her dream a reality.

Maybe she's the 100th idiot.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #379 on: May 11, 2016, 01:57:12 PM »
Here is the problem with uBeam (i.e. Perry)
From the job ad for VP of engineering:
http://www.startuphire.com/job/vice-president-electrical-engineering-350972
This is genuinely what Perry thinks:
If it doesn't break the laws of physics, it can be done
She doesn't realise it ain't all about physics, there is this pesky thing called engineering reality too  :palm:
We just need more deregulation. The radium glow in the dark novelty industry was doing fine until those health and safety people got involved.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #380 on: May 11, 2016, 03:31:05 PM »
It's clear she doesn't want to learn, she wants to be proven right that she is a genius visionary, an outside the box thinker who ignored engineers and experts and made her dream a reality.
Maybe she's the 100th idiot.

Nope, because to to be the 100th idiot you have to actually succeed. uBeam will flop miserably, and fairly shortly.
Although, if the measure of success is being able to convince people to fund you, then yes, a worthy 100th Idiot award winner.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #381 on: May 11, 2016, 05:50:06 PM »
Just looking at their job list:

http://www.startuphire.com/search/index.php?searchId=c9231fd8241e5c07058426090048e528

Aren't they all basic positions that should already be filled by now?  :popcorn:

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #382 on: May 11, 2016, 06:10:28 PM »

http://www.startuphire.com/search/index.php?searchId=c9231fd8241e5c07058426090048e528
An interesting list of jobs. Looks like they are going to track the uBeams's position optically. Something like flashing IR led that you must not cover up. Boring! I thought they may be doing it somehow with ultrasonics with a phased array on the transmitter.

So this thing is going to have custom ASICs both ends, a camera to track the receiver, I guess a two axis motorized rotator on the transmitter, who knows what to align the receiver, custom ultrasonic transducers both ends, a powerful ultrasonic amplifier on the transmitter, and a really really pathetic data-over-ultrasound capability.

How much is this monster going to cost? I spend about $10 a year on microUSB charging cables, so I hope it will be cheaper then that.  :-DD

I was thinking that if they are smart, they will use the money to develop useful ultrasonic detection/imaging technology so at least they have something. It doesn't sound like they will end up with any useful technology at all. Perhaps the transducers may have other uses, but it looks like they are still looking for transducer designers. I thought that was the heart of their invention.

Richard
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:18:12 PM by amspire »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #383 on: May 11, 2016, 06:24:11 PM »
An interesting list of jobs. Looks like they are going to track the uBeams's position optically.
That's the latest idiotic idea, yes.

It won't work, obviously, but the engineers get to play with expensive toys for a while longer and Meredith gets a bit more time as a "visionary".

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #384 on: May 11, 2016, 06:43:20 PM »
Aren't they all basic positions that should already be filled by now?  :popcorn:

Yep.
Likely because:
a) Everyone keeps leaving
and
b) The tech doesn't work as Meredith thought it would, so, meh, keep trying...

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #385 on: May 11, 2016, 06:51:20 PM »
An interesting list of jobs. Looks like they are going to track the uBeams's position optically. Something like flashing IR led that you must not cover up. Boring! I thought they may be doing it somehow with ultrasonics with a phased array on the transmitter.

IIRC, it went through various incarnations, from no position tech, to "oops, performance is going to suck unless we really beamform and steer this thing", through various techs that didn't work well enough, so, meh try again with some sort of optical tracking. Because, you know, it just has to be a solvable problem, Meredith has deemed it so.

So this thing is going to have custom ASICs both ends, a camera to track the receiver, I guess a two axis motorized rotator on the transmitter, who knows what to align the receiver, custom ultrasonic transducers both ends, a powerful ultrasonic amplifier on the transmitter, and a really really pathetic data-over-ultrasound capability.

Yep, but it uses beam forming to steer the ultrasonics.
All this bleeding edge tech to replace a $5 Qi charging pad, and at probably 1/50th the efficiency, yeah, winning idea  ::)

How much is this monster going to cost? I spend about $10 a year on microUSB charging cables, so I hope it will be cheaper then that.  :-DD

You don't have to worry about it, because it will never make it to market  ;D

I was thinking that if they are smart, they will use the money to develop useful ultrasonic detection/imaging technology so at least they have something. It doesn't sound like they will end up with any useful technology at all. Perhaps the transducers may have other uses, but it looks like they are still looking for transducer designers. I thought that was the heart of their invention.

The people that do/did work there are very smart, but word is that Meredith doesn't want to hear anything but her own fairytale.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #386 on: May 11, 2016, 07:15:11 PM »
The people that do/did work there are very smart, but word is that Meredith doesn't want to hear anything but her own fairytale.
Sounds like you buy a big supply of ear plugs, start the job, say yes to everything Meridith asks for because she is a visionary, do whatever you want to do in the lab with the toys, and leave when Meridith is highly disappointed in you. It is not like you can actually design the working ultrasonic link. A very weird paid holiday.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #387 on: May 11, 2016, 07:23:33 PM »
Sounds like an ideal job for an engineer - If you're one of the experts in the field you can name your price as they have a ton of VC money burning a hole in their pocket, all the fun of experimenting and playing with nice toys, with no prospect of all the boring stuff for production.
And when it all goes titsup, or you leave, it doesn't reflect badly on you when applying for the next job because it was an obviously impossible task.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: May 11, 2016, 07:24:20 PM »
Yep, but it uses beam forming to steer the ultrasonics.
All this bleeding edge tech to replace a $5 Qi charging pad, and at probably 1/50th the efficiency, yeah, winning idea  ::)

Rich people don't mind spending $5,000 per transmitter and having huge electricity bills.

The real problem will be the bulk that the receiver adds to the phone. Nobody with enough money for uBeam wants a half-inch thick phone.

(And if you do huge phone you're probably better off adding more battery instead of some silly charger that only works inside a few specially modified buildings. Double the current battery size would last most people all day).

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: May 11, 2016, 07:25:32 PM »
A very weird paid holiday.

I'd sign up in a heartbeat if I lived over there.

(and was qualified for the job)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #390 on: May 11, 2016, 07:56:10 PM »
Sounds like an ideal job for an engineer - If you're one of the experts in the field you can name your price as they have a ton of VC money burning a hole in their pocket, all the fun of experimenting and playing with nice toys, with no prospect of all the boring stuff for production.
And when it all goes titsup, or you leave, it doesn't reflect badly on you when applying for the next job because it was an obviously impossible task.

Word has it that they have cycled through every expert in the industry, so yeah, anyone left who does come on board now could probably name their price.
Probably only 6-12 months left in this dead horse though before it all goes tits-up.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #391 on: May 11, 2016, 08:18:41 PM »
Probably only 6-12 months left in this dead horse though before it all goes tits-up.

And then you get to take the equipment home...?  :popcorn:

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #392 on: May 11, 2016, 09:08:03 PM »
And then you get to take the equipment home...?  :popcorn:

The trick is seeing it coming and conveniently "working from home with the gear" when the axe falls.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: May 12, 2016, 05:01:02 AM »
My opinion, which is being borne out: is that folks take jobs in these questionable ventures for the simple reason that it's a job with a paycheck - which is a damned sight better than no job in between jobs. Most VC startups - particularly in the energy field- are simply cash skimming machines for the money brokers and temporary workfare programs for the employees. Soon, the clouds of suspicion and illegitimacy will blanket all projects, good and bad.

This certainly has not escaped notice on th money side and will eventually lead to a period of time where there is little/no funding for anyone, no matter how viable or beneficial her/his business might be. Get used to bootstrapping folks...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #395 on: May 12, 2016, 05:50:51 AM »

I'd sign up in a heartbeat if I lived over there.

(and was qualified for the job)

I suspect you wouldn't have to be qualified, just smart enough to write the right CV and then sound 'visionary' enough at the interview. Hell, I expect just sounding fawning enough about how 'visionary' the boss is would probably let you waltz in.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 05:55:22 AM by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #396 on: May 12, 2016, 08:26:03 AM »
Interesting to see that TechCrunch is beginning to wake up to the fact that they got suckered into investing in a box of unicorn wishes.
This is their first critical article.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #397 on: May 12, 2016, 08:58:27 AM »
Interesting to see that TechCrunch is beginning to wake up to the fact that they got suckered into investing in a box of unicorn wishes.
This is their first critical article.
They certainly have changed their minds.
Here are some examples of ubeam 'selling their story' through Techcrunch.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/30/ubeam-10m-upfront/

http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/26/kill-the-cord/

http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/28/electric-liberation/

http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/08/how-ubeam-works/

http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/07/wireless-power-charger/

Hopefully in future Techcrunch can check with Dave before giving support to such scams.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:00:25 AM by HackedFridgeMagnet »

Offline VNFTW

• Contributor
« Reply #398 on: May 12, 2016, 09:04:29 AM »
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:06:46 AM by VNFTW »

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #399 on: May 12, 2016, 10:11:51 AM »
Quoted from that load of baloney linked above:
As we are humans, with brains trapped behind layers of illusion, finding truth about reality is an extremely difficult, if not impossible, task.

I suspect that once uBeam collapses Ms Perry might be a step closer to finding the truth about reality....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf