Author Topic: The uBeam FAQ  (Read 641587 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: The uBeam FAQ
« Reply #375 on: May 11, 2016, 09:25:32 am »
A very weird paid holiday.

I'd sign up in a heartbeat if I lived over there.

(and was qualified for the job)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #376 on: May 11, 2016, 09:56:10 am »
Sounds like an ideal job for an engineer - If you're one of the experts in the field you can name your price as they have a ton of VC money burning a hole in their pocket, all the fun of experimenting and playing with nice toys, with no prospect of all the boring stuff for production.
And when it all goes titsup, or you leave, it doesn't reflect badly on you when applying for the next job because it was an obviously impossible task.

Word has it that they have cycled through every expert in the industry, so yeah, anyone left who does come on board now could probably name their price.
Probably only 6-12 months left in this dead horse though before it all goes tits-up.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #377 on: May 11, 2016, 10:18:41 am »
Probably only 6-12 months left in this dead horse though before it all goes tits-up.

And then you get to take the equipment home...?  :popcorn:

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #378 on: May 11, 2016, 11:08:03 am »
And then you get to take the equipment home...?  :popcorn:

The trick is seeing it coming and conveniently "working from home with the gear" when the axe falls.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: May 11, 2016, 07:01:02 pm »
My opinion, which is being borne out: is that folks take jobs in these questionable ventures for the simple reason that it's a job with a paycheck - which is a damned sight better than no job in between jobs. Most VC startups - particularly in the energy field- are simply cash skimming machines for the money brokers and temporary workfare programs for the employees. Soon, the clouds of suspicion and illegitimacy will blanket all projects, good and bad.

This certainly has not escaped notice on th money side and will eventually lead to a period of time where there is little/no funding for anyone, no matter how viable or beneficial her/his business might be. Get used to bootstrapping folks...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #381 on: May 11, 2016, 07:50:51 pm »

I'd sign up in a heartbeat if I lived over there.

(and was qualified for the job)

I suspect you wouldn't have to be qualified, just smart enough to write the right CV and then sound 'visionary' enough at the interview. Hell, I expect just sounding fawning enough about how 'visionary' the boss is would probably let you waltz in.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 07:55:22 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #382 on: May 11, 2016, 10:26:03 pm »
Interesting to see that TechCrunch is beginning to wake up to the fact that they got suckered into investing in a box of unicorn wishes.
This is their first critical article.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #383 on: May 11, 2016, 10:58:27 pm »
Interesting to see that TechCrunch is beginning to wake up to the fact that they got suckered into investing in a box of unicorn wishes.
They certainly have changed their minds.
Here are some examples of ubeam 'selling their story' through Techcrunch.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/30/ubeam-10m-upfront/

http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/26/kill-the-cord/

http://techcrunch.com/2015/09/28/electric-liberation/

http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/08/how-ubeam-works/

http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/07/wireless-power-charger/

Hopefully in future Techcrunch can check with Dave before giving support to such scams.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:00:25 pm by HackedFridgeMagnet »

Offline VNFTW

« Reply #384 on: May 11, 2016, 11:04:29 pm »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:06:46 pm by VNFTW »

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #385 on: May 12, 2016, 12:11:51 am »
Quoted from that load of baloney linked above:
As we are humans, with brains trapped behind layers of illusion, finding truth about reality is an extremely difficult, if not impossible, task.

I suspect that once uBeam collapses Ms Perry might be a step closer to finding the truth about reality....

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #386 on: May 12, 2016, 12:33:34 am »

Yes, and it should be noted that Tech Crunch's owner is one of the major investors in uBeam through CrunchFund, hence why techcrunch got the "scoop" on the "proof" article
http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/07/wireless-power-charger/
Something big has changed in order for Techcrunch to to be allowed to publish this article.

Offline Danseur

• Contributor
« Reply #387 on: May 12, 2016, 01:18:36 am »
It looks like this former uBeam engineer exposed Energous too.
http://liesandstartuppr.blogspot.com/2016/04/those-other-guys-pt-1.html

He linked to this story on Energous.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3811296-energous-buy-companys-story-stock

"Using the 1 watt as our transmitter power translates to 0.000507 watt (0.507 milliwatts or 507 microwatts) at the receiving end. "

But it's even worse than this!  The FCC does not allow you to transmit at the full 1 watt (30 dBm) if you focus the energy with more than 6 dB gain.  If you want to use a phase array to get 21 dB antenna gain, you must drop your transmit power to 25 dBm or 0.316 watts.  Every 3 dBi of antenna gain must be accompanied by 1 dBm decline in transmit power.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:24:39 am by Danseur »

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: May 12, 2016, 02:16:14 am »
Something big has changed in order for Techcrunch to to be allowed to publish this article.

Yes, indeed. Nobody shoots down their own investment unless they're absolutely sure it's a lost cause and the money's gone.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #389 on: May 12, 2016, 02:46:08 am »
Lee Gomes said there will be another IEEE Spectrum article on uBeam in the coming days.
He smashed it out the park last time, so can't wait.

He has also confirmed the VP of engineering is legit.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #390 on: May 12, 2016, 02:46:57 am »
Yes, indeed. Nobody shoots down their own investment unless they're absolutely sure it's a lost cause and the money's gone.

Word on the street is that key investors have lost confidence.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #391 on: May 12, 2016, 04:40:32 am »
Can't wait to see the famous "3 backup plans" activated.  :popcorn:
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #392 on: May 12, 2016, 04:56:30 am »

Word on the street is that key investors have lost confidence.
This is pretty extraordinary in the world of investing. Even when investors lose confidence, the usual plan is to stay quiet and try to sell the IP or respin the venture to recoup their losses.  I've had investors contact me regarding biofuels projects over the years - trying to figure out what happened to their money.  They have let these projects run/idle/sputter far longer and *still* haven't turned on their CEO. 

Something very big happened between Meredith and her backers, and I'm betting it's about to get a hell of a lot uglier.

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #393 on: May 12, 2016, 05:12:02 am »
 :popcorn:

Offline Danseur

• Contributor
« Reply #394 on: May 12, 2016, 05:21:26 am »
Things got so bad that engineers were leaving uBeam two weeks before their stocks were vested.
http://www.businessinsider.com/ubeam-former-engineers-doubt-it-can-work-2016-5?op=1

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #395 on: May 12, 2016, 05:57:25 am »

From another similar bullshitter who probably now wishes they did have a backup plan:

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #396 on: May 12, 2016, 06:39:28 am »
From another similar bullshitter who probably now wishes they did have a backup plan:

She'll be lucky if she avoids jail time.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #397 on: May 12, 2016, 06:45:13 am »
Things got so bad that engineers were leaving uBeam two weeks before their stocks were vested.
http://www.businessinsider.com/ubeam-former-engineers-doubt-it-can-work-2016-5?op=1

From that:
In a tell-all blog, uBeam’s former VP of Engineering, Paul Reynolds, has been harshly criticising the company. He left in October 2015 and didn’t sign a non-disparagement agreement, nor is he sharing proprietary information, he told Business Insider.

And he's right, no law against disparagement, and as long as you don't share proprietary information, nor make deliberately false accusations (slander/libel), you are fine.
Although that may not stop uBeams lawyers

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #398 on: May 12, 2016, 07:08:14 am »

From that:
In a tell-all blog, uBeam’s former VP of Engineering, Paul Reynolds, has been harshly criticising the company. He left in October 2015 and didn’t sign a non-disparagement agreement, nor is he sharing proprietary information, he told Business Insider.

And he's right, no law against disparagement, and as long as you don't share proprietary information, nor make deliberately false accusations (slander/libel), you are fine.
Although that may not stop uBeams lawyers
I think uBeam's lawyers may have more on their mind, like getting paid before the VCs pull the plug & everything goes titsup.

My prediction - Meredith will write a book ready for the Christmas sales period, whining about how "the industry" destroyed her vision, and probably pulling the sexism card while she's at it.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline mathieumatteomatthew

« Reply #399 on: May 12, 2016, 08:06:26 am »
Mike beat me to it. It's quite clear what the next step for Perry is: claiming the naughty engineers sabotaged her wonderful vision from the start, and that's why she didn't make it. The sexism card is also likely to be pulled, completely forgetting the fact that her being a young woman was one major aspect of the fairy tale that was pushed around by the press: the drop-out, thinking-out-of-the-box young woman,  having a vision to change the world.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf