Author Topic: The X-Ray image thread by Aurora - various electronics via X-Ray imaging  (Read 105381 times)

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: The X-Ray image thread by Aurora - various electronics via X-Ray imaging
« Reply #175 on: November 30, 2015, 11:12:51 pm »
USB to RS232 converter using prolific Technology chipset.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:37:18 am by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2015, 11:14:41 pm »
FLIR PM570 thermal camera EVF
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:16:38 pm by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: November 30, 2015, 11:53:20 pm »
Panasonic 'Lipstick' Camera

Not much in the way of active electronics within, just the CCD chip ? The cameras controller unit is stuffed with electronics though.

I need to open this camera so wanted to see how best to do so.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:01:55 am by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2015, 11:58:30 pm »
I recently bought a cheap PID from China to control my 3D printer build platform heater. I will be taking it apart for inspection but thought you might like to see its X-Rayed.

The X-Ray images show that the electronics are concentrated on the front panel with the bulky components like the relay mounted on a sparsely populated separate PCB. It appears that I could reduce the bulk of this PID significantly as it is all low voltage so isolation distances are not such an issue.

Fraser

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2015, 12:15:56 am »
Very cool shots, Fraser.  Are these all taken with the GXS 700 sensor, or film?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2015, 12:24:35 am »
@KE5FX,

No these are taken with the Faxitron MX-20 cabinet system. The AEC seems to set the voltage to 31kVp in most cases and just adjusts the exposure time. I will be playing with manual setting of the voltage and duration in due course as I found that I could produce better images of challenging DUT's that way. (using my older Bioptics camera MX-20)

The Gendex sensor area is small in comparison to that of the MX-20. The USB DC12 MX-20 has a 120mm x 120mm sensor area and the DUT is moved closer to the X-Ray Generator in some of my images in order to provide magnification. None of my images have been digitally magnified, but that is also an option with these highish resolution 4MP images.

The Gendex sensor is still winging its way to me from the USA. It cost me $100. It is not working but includes the important calibration file. I thought it worth the risk, and I will learn about it whilst carrying out a repair (if such is possible)  :)

The Gendex sensor is a more limited device in that, even though it is Size 2, it is quite a small imaging area. This is offset by decent resolution. Size is sometimes not so important when dealing with imaging a small PCB, or part of a larger PCB. I personally like having a larger imaging area as it is more versatile. The down side is that the large Hamamatsu digital X-Ray cameras cost a small fortune new, so are less common on the secondary market. For me, this 'new' USB Faxitron with DC12 camera is about as good as I could wish for, and meets my needs perfectly. Its so fast at taking an image (around 30 seconds per image, depending upon DUT)  :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:34:42 am by Fraser »

Offline Pjotr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #181 on: December 01, 2015, 05:49:41 pm »
Nice pics  :) Didn't read the whole tread but can your machine only do gamma-rays or also alpha-rays?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: December 01, 2015, 06:30:46 pm »
AFAIK The MX-20 produces only Gamma X-Ray using a voltage of between 15 and 35kVp accelerating electrons into a Tungsten Target. The Alpha sources that I have seen have all been from a Radioactive element, such as Americium 241, and not produced in an electron acceleration tube. Such a tubes output window would have to be very thin indeed to avoid massive Alpha attenuation. Alpha would also be severely attenuated in free air, making its usability in a non vacuum cabinet very limited indeed. I am not a nuclear physicist though so this is outside of my experience.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:32:57 pm by Fraser »

Offline moya034

• Regular Contributor
  • Former Welder, IT guy, and Ham Radio Junkie
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2015, 03:29:57 pm »
Great thread Fraser!

If one wanted to get a device x-rayed but didn't want to get their own x-ray machine, what kind of business might be willing to help one out for a nominal fee?

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2015, 03:52:08 pm »
Great thread Fraser!

If one wanted to get a device x-rayed but didn't want to get their own x-ray machine, what kind of business might be willing to help one out for a nominal fee?
The most accessible would typically be a local vet, dentist or doctor.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2015, 05:00:04 pm »
Great thread Fraser!

There's a business model in there somewhere!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2015, 08:15:05 pm »
I have considered offering an X-Ray imaging service but there are complications with such a service.

1. The fee...... What is a reasonable price to charge ?
2. Managing Customer expectations regarding what an X-Rar can reveal, especially through metal.
3. The cost of shipping and its effect on offering a reasonable total cost for the customer.
4. Commercial use could potentially attract attention from the national authority for using such equipment. I comply with safety standards but don't fancy paying fees for licensing the kit for commercial use.
5. I was a Civil Servant without the profit mentality.... I am no businessman !

If someone wants something imaged using my MX-20's I feel sure I could help but it would be on a casual basis with a small fee for my hobby account. If anyone wants something imaged, just message me and we can discuss.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:23:56 pm by Fraser »

Offline Pjotr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2015, 09:46:55 pm »
For metal you need more energy up to around 100kV. Your machine is not designed for that. Besides that, radiation safety becomes a real issue. I have worked in that field 30 years ago (pipe and weld monitoring and a lot more) and you need to be a certified operator and a lot more legal issues come around the corner (independent body personal dose level monitoring and so on).

On the other hand for 10kV - 30kV your machine has likely beryllium radiation windows that need to be handled with great care regarding safety.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2015, 10:44:30 pm »
@pjotr,

Thanks for comments.

You have not seen my background in this and other threads. Over 25 years operating open site and cabinet X-Ray systems. Fully qualified Radiographer and holder of all required low energy survey equipment :) Fear not, I am qualified and competent to operate this equipment in line with UK regulations. Other countries are less tolerant of personal ownership of such equipment though.

I also have a 65kVp Dental X-Ray but have not needed it to date. I have a Todd Research Basix 30 mail scanner but I intend to cut that up for scrap as the resolution is not good enough for my needs. The X-Ray generator will be decommissioned to prevent use by those without the required safety knowledge. Oh and no PCB Oils in that unit. Sad to kill it but it is too large and heavy to keep if it is of no use to me. I will sell the lead for scrap and maybe the X-Ray tube on eBay. Mike had the same issue with a conveyor belt X-Ray unit.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:52:07 pm by Fraser »

Offline Pjotr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2015, 11:33:23 pm »
Ok, thanks Fraser for the extra info. No, I didn't know your background. I myself left the X-ray material examination business almost 30 years ago and stepped over to the medical ultrasound area those days as an electronics engineer/developer for Organon (not in business any more ;) )

Nice pictures anyway, keep on posting!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2015, 12:01:13 am »
Just used the MX-20 for a 'real' investigation.

I bought a Mammography Ionisation Chamber probe some time ago. It is a Radcal 2025 series probe designed for low energy X-Ray beam measurement. I only have the probe and not the meter that drives it.

I have searched for the schematics of the probe and associated meter without success but the electronics in the probe do not look too challenging to reverse engineer. Ionisation Chamber meters are not normally very complex. The electronics is usually a pico ammeter that measures the change in current passing through the ionisation chamber. I am currently studying the Radcal Patents for this probe.

Having looked inside the probes electronics enclosure I can see that it contains most of the electronics needed for such an instrument. It uses a current to frequency converter. The sensitive front end operational amplifiers are housed in a lead shielding capsule to avoid illumination by the X-Ray beam as that would cause all manner of problems with accuracy. The rest of the electronics are unshielded.

The really fragile part of the probe is the ionisation chamber. It has a very thin mylar window over one side of the chamber.  This is designed to provide good transmission of low energy X-Ray's into the chambers interior. Dismantling the chamber risks destroying it so I was not keen to delve inside it. This was a perfect subject for NDT X-Ray use.

I used the MX-20 to image both the ionisation chamber and associated electronics unit. The pictures follow. You will see from the pictures that several different angles are needed to fully understand how the various wires in the ionisation chamber are connected. A single view can give a confusing picture whereas rotating the subject creates a better 3D impression of the construction. Modern Microfocus X-Ray systems used in Industry can automate the rotation of the subject item and create 3D rotatable images of them on the screen through multiple image stitching . Sadly the MX-20 is not in that league and has no 3 axis turntable.

Enjoy the pictures   :)

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:09:28 am by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2015, 12:05:40 am »
Pictures

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2015, 12:45:53 am »
I have a Racal military Dipole centre piece that has been knocking around for ages. I wondered if it had any impedance matching components inside it. A quick X-Ray showed me all I needed to know in one picture. It was quicker than getting my LCR meter out of the lab for checks and is definitive in what it shows. See for yourself  :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2015, 12:56:59 am »
I also had a Bronica camera Pistol Grip that I am having trouble dismantling. I took a couple of quick X-Ray images but sadly they have not revealed any secrets to me. I cannot image the thick alloy areas of the base plate and that is where I am likely to find the hidden handle securing screws. Low powered X-Ray is not suitable for all subjects, especially those containing metal. Thin aluminium is OK. Thin steel is not. Thick aluminium will also cause problems.

Well you can't gave it all I suppose. The MX-20 is a high resolution unit with a Microfocus X-Ray tube having a really small target spot size. The tube is only 12W rated and not oil cooled. A 35kVp limit is not an unreasonable compromise for the units excellent imaging performance. A bigger, beefier tube may have a larger target spot size = lower imaging performance.

Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #194 on: December 08, 2015, 12:22:24 am »
I have now moved the 'new' USB Hamamatsu Camera MX-20 to its permanent operating position, next to its sister, the Biovision camera based MX-20.  That may sound a simple task, but the double garage is full at the moment due to a major sort out that I am undertaking. I had to move a lot of kit, including the heavy Security X-Ray scanner, to make a path for the MX-20 trolley to travel to its final location. Not made any easier by my M.E.  :(  Its done now though  :)

I still need to tidy up the installation but she'll be operational again soon.

Note in the picture that the USB MX-20 is lower than the Biometrics version as the camera pod on the bottom is much slimmer. You can also see my 'spares' MX-20 in the background. The spares unit is fully operational but is film only with no camera. It was built in 1999 but has a newer 2008 Microfocus x-Ray Tube fitted. This is my insurance policy in case one of the Digital MX-20's suffers an X-Ray generator related fault.

Other points of interest within the picture are the two Ionising Radiation Survey meters sat on top of the Biovision MX-20 PC. One is a Mini Monitor 900, fitted with the Type D low energy probe, and the other is a Bicron Micro-Sievert Scintillator based survey meter. I have several other meters, including Ionisation Chamber types, but these two live in the garage near where they are needed most often.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:41:00 am by Fraser »

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #195 on: December 08, 2015, 11:11:52 pm »
Something I must get round to trying is to put the faxitron sensor in the mailroom x-ray - although the resolution will be limited by the tube's spot size, the significantly higher kVp means it should be able to image through stuff that's opaque to the Faxitron's 35kxp tube.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: December 08, 2015, 11:19:43 pm »
@Mike,
An interesting idea. I am still considering the fate of my Todd Research Basix 30 Security Mail scanner. It's 50/50 on a restoration or scrapping at the moment.

One thought on using higher energy X-Ray's with the Hamamatsu imaging array, it is designed for peak performance at 17kev. Some sensor arrays can suffer permanent damage if significantly over driven by X-Ray energy. Not sure about the Hamamatsu detectors though. Might be worth checking on this before risking your array.

Fraser

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #197 on: December 08, 2015, 11:27:08 pm »
Just checked the datasheet https://www.hamamatsu.com/resources/pdf/ssd/c9730dk-10_kacc1143e.pdf
Says absolute max 35kvp. Bummer.  :(

What I need is this, just not $2K of "need", though probably a fraction of its original price... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamamatsu-C9312SK-MOS-Image-Sensor-for-X-Ray-/161433838760?hash=item259634e4a8:g:HA4AAOSw7NNUJVe8
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:35:59 pm by mikeselectricstuff »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: December 08, 2015, 11:35:49 pm »
Just checked the data sheet Mike.

Absolute maximum incident X-Ray energy is shown as 35kvp. It is interesting that they use kVp instead of the more appropriate kev.

This does suggest a damage level if exposed to higher energy X-Ray.

Remember that the sort of X-Ray energy levels present inside the MX-20 are easily attenuated to protect the camera array and electronics. Such would not be the case inside a higher energy security inspection X-Ray cabinet. Those tend to be pretty brutal and blast the DUT with a single level of energy. I.e. Maximum available from the tube and PSU combination. A somewhat blunter tool than the refined Faxitron units.

Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: December 08, 2015, 11:36:56 pm »
Our messages crossed. I did the same as you and checked the DS :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf