Author Topic: TO-220 Style LED  (Read 1761 times)

Offline madmaxbryanTopic starter

• Contributor
TO-220 Style LED
« on: September 22, 2017, 10:48:30 pm »
Found this odd white LED chip at the local electronics surplus store. I've never seen an LED in a TO-220 style package. I was told it was 15v 100mA, I can only get about 12.5v 100mA and it gets real hot real quick. It has a large copper heatsink running from the LED dies to the backside of the package. It doesn't seem to put out anymore light then a standard 3mm LED or SMD LED. Anyone know what purpose it might serve? There are a lot of high tech industries in the area so it might be a specific wavelength or something.

Offline bjcuizon

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF and Analog Electronics Enthusiast
Re: TO-220 Style LED
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 11:13:28 pm »
Might be for some automotive purpose as it has some spade type lugs/terminals :-//
Don't mess with an Electronics Engineer, it Megahertz!

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 11:58:02 pm »
That is what I was thinking also...an automotive application.

It also appears that the device must be attached to a heat-sink

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 12:14:32 am »
Yes it definitely needs a heatsink, it gets pretty hot at 12.5v. The spade lugs do scream automotive, I just cant think of any application that would use an LED with this style package over SMD or a tradition style automotive bulb. They're kind of neat, i might pick up a few more next time im at the surplus.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 12:18:56 am »
Could be for blinkers, to signal left and right on cars. Would not overheat that much if the pulse lengths are small.

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 01:14:33 am »
Should be more. I recall Philips made a similar looking led for car headlights, you could look in their catalogs of anything similar. I would like to get my hands on one of those to play with too :)

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 01:37:01 am »
Well after doing some digging around based on what everyone here has said suggested i think i found a close match. It looks like a Luxeon Altilon LED headlight, seems like they are meant to take 1000mA and not 100mA, might have to put this on a heatsink and crank it up to see how it looks.

Offline bjcuizon

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF and Analog Electronics Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 02:50:01 am »
Well after doing some digging around based on what everyone here has said suggested i think i found a close match. It looks like a Luxeon Altilon LED headlight, seems like they are meant to take 1000mA and not 100mA, might have to put this on a heatsink and crank it up to see how it looks.
Ooh,...so that's why your getting a little amount of light like the 3mm ones emit.  ::)
Don't mess with an Electronics Engineer, it Megahertz!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf