Author Topic: Transformer unused taps, what to do?  (Read 3402 times)

Offline mrflibbleTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Transformer unused taps, what to do?
« on: March 02, 2015, 02:04:10 am »
I've got a transformer with several taps on the primary side that will be unused. What's the best practice to do with the unused ones? I'm guessing just leaving them unconnected and cover with heat shrink, but best to ask first. :)

In case the "primary side + multiple taps" creates confusion ... what would the answer be if the secondary side had multiple taps, with some unused?

The primary windings in question are: two sets of 0 - 110 - 120 Volt windings. Only the 0 - 110 Volt tap of each will be used, and put in series for 220 Volt total on primary side. And as you may have guessed, the secondary is 220 Volt as well. To be used as an isolation transformer.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Transformer unused taps, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 02:30:07 am »
Yes, taped/shrinked off is fine.  Or leave them on terminal blocks, in case someone ever wants to wire it for something else.  (Unlikely I'm sure?)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 03:01:31 am »
Thanks! Yeah, it's unlikely someone (that would be me) will want to use it for something else so no need for terminal blocks. The sole reason I bought this one is to use it as an isolation transformer.

Unconnected + heat shrink it is. :)

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:13:22 am »
You could try using the secondary as the primary. Then you have a choice of different voltages.

The only thing is the secondary normally has more volts/turn (to compensate for the losses) which means the output voltage will be slightly lower than expected but you've got two 0 to 120V windings which should compensate for this when connected in series.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 12:52:53 pm »
For a moment I did consider something like it. But that would mean adding a selection switch etc. Another option would be to use the leftover windings for 2x a lower auxiliary voltage. But best to restrain myself and keep it simple. Voltage in, same voltage out.

Now if only I could find that double pole switch with indicator light that I'm sure I have ... somewhere.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf