Author Topic: UltraDMM Software Project  (Read 132017 times)

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
Re: UltraDMM Software Project
« Reply #200 on: May 20, 2014, 05:34:26 pm »
On my UT-61E and 61D all works perfectly now! Thank you! :-+ :-+

Offline Hagis2k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #201 on: May 25, 2014, 10:22:20 pm »
Hi Tom, thanks for your hard work so far!

Tried your last update from april 9th this time UDMM does not give me any error messages and it seems like usb can stay ticked :)

So a bit further in the battle to produce the best open source software for multimeters.

I tried it again and i can select it as following:

<UltraDMM>
  <Meters>
    <Meter Name="Meter 1" Model="Uni-T UT61D" Baud="0" ComPort="USB" SmoothSamples="1" Key="%jq#tdisir" SampleDelay="0" VID="6790" PID="57352" />
  </Meters>
  <Windows>
    <Timer Left="0" Top="0" Width="475" Height="92" WindowState="Normal" />
    <Gauge Type="GRAPH" AutoRange="True" CombineFunction="ADD" CombineMeters="False" MajorTick="0" MaxValue="0" Meter1Key="%jq#tdisir" Meter1ValueType="DELTA" Meter2Key="" Meter2ValueType="VALUE" MinValue="0" MinorTick="0" ShowMax="False" ShowMin="False" Symbol="" TickFrequency="0" Top="328" Left="864" Height="431" Width="564" GraphType="LINE_GRAPH" />
  </Windows>
  <Triggers />
</UltraDMM>

But still i can not get any raw data from my multimeter, maybe i shouldn't expect it either until you released the final version? :)

But thanks so far Tom for your work im looking forward to get this running instead of the crappy software that comes with the meter.

Offline Hagis2k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #202 on: July 03, 2014, 03:09:33 pm »
Just Curious if you made any progress yet Tom ? :)

Offline ClayMarley

« Reply #203 on: July 04, 2014, 04:36:27 am »
After buying a 61E, I found the UltraDMM web site and downloaded the MSI installer. Well, that was pretty buggy and I didn’t see any updates at the site. So searching around brought me here. I installed the April 10 patch files a few posts up and wow what a difference!

I’ve only experimented a few minutes but did note a few things:

The Analog meter doesn’t autorange very well. I had connected the DMM to a potentiometer measuring resistance, and while the analog meter would autorange up well, from Ohms to kOhms, it would not autorange on the way down. It stayed stuck at kOhms until I reset it.

The Excel output file treats numeric values in the raw data columns as text strings. It is possible to convert back to numbers, but importing the text file to Excel is easier. I’m not sure I see the advantage of having the Excel XML format output.

I recommend adding a link to the latest patch file on the web site.

Otherwise, looks like this will be a great tool.

Thanks

--Clay

Offline Cenkron

« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2014, 12:44:37 pm »
What would it take to add the Fluke 289 to this program?
I have a protocol document, and I am a software engineer.
Can I do it?   I noticed that another DMM was listed as contributed.
I have t he meter for testing.

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #205 on: August 23, 2014, 02:29:11 pm »
So a bit further in the battle to produce the best open source software for multimeters.

open source? I think you meant free and maintained software. Or if this is open source then where is the source? Linux (Gnu/Linux) version with Mono would be nice.

Offline Hagis2k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2015, 05:18:41 pm »
So hows things coming a long with this software has the development been put on ice?

Just wonder still interested! ;)

Offline BThunderWTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2015, 05:59:31 pm »
Development was put on hold as I was dealing with some personal issues, plus I've received some rude emails regarding the program in the past (demanding changes, complaints, etc) that put me off development for a while. I have some more ideas to implement plus some emails that were sent had some good suggestions, look for a new version soon at http://www.ultradmm.com

Tom

Offline BlueBill

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2015, 07:03:17 pm »
Nice software, quite handy.

PS I wonder how many folks here are in Toronto, and would like to get together in a Meetup?

Offline janaf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2015, 07:34:29 pm »

open source? I think you meant free and maintained software. Or if this is open source then where is the source? Linux (Gnu/Linux) version with Mono would be nice.
I think it says somewhere that graphics are based on Infragistics package, which starts at $899... I guess dev can distribute his products.

I'm really grateful for the effort made! Kudos!
my2C
Jan

Offline Hagis2k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2015, 08:48:42 pm »
I understand that Tom keep your head up high this world is full of idiots and we all sometimes run into personal problems and need to deal with that first
so take your time there is a old swedish saying "those who waits for something good, never waits to long!" so take you time and f**k the rude people.

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2015, 01:00:41 pm »
've received some rude emails regarding the program in the past

Quite frankly, I don't realize how things like this can even happen. I mean, it's a free software, what the hell some people have in their mind?!  :palm:

Offline janaf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #212 on: February 09, 2015, 01:50:34 pm »
There are a few billion people on-line. Statistically, gotta be some assholes among them.

I made a small technical database once, an overview of a niche technical product. The best of it's kind available on-line, containe about 5000 items.  The web site had a few hundred visitors per day, searching on-line. I sent mails out to a dozen software developers, telling them they could download the whole database for free, just making decent acknowledgements. One guy, a professor, answered almost literately "why should I do that when I can make a scrip that rips the data it from your web site?" and got into a long argument that I can not prove if he copies my data. And continued; "in reality I have no legal possibility to sue him anyway". I'm not joking!

my2C
Jan

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
« Reply #213 on: February 09, 2015, 08:31:26 pm »
<<why should I do that when I can make a scrip that rips the data it from your web site?>>

Possible answer:
<<Well, only for courtesy. Keep in mind that only because your personal life is a total fiasco and you're have been a bully's victim for years at school it doesn't mean that you must be an asshole against every person.>>

Offline janaf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2015, 08:36:52 pm »
:-) Pretty much what I told him. But he actually sent about 10 mails arguing his cause  :palm:

I worked for 15 years at a technical university so I pretty much recognize and acknowledge what you are saying.....
my2C
Jan

Offline Archie

« Reply #215 on: March 17, 2015, 03:53:30 pm »
Hi there,

First of all, big thanks to Tom for excellent software!

I have minor (but annoying) problem using it: each and every time I'm adding gauge or graph to workspace, I'm getting an Unhandled exception:

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Infragistics.Win.Misc.UltraButton.OnLostFocus(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKillFocus(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Clicking "Continue" button allows to get the things working, but I'd like to fix the problem, if possible.

Issue is reproducible on UltraDMM v1.0.5.37035 running on Windows XP x86 Professional SP3 / .NET v4.0.30319 with NDP40-KB2600211 update, and on Windows 7 x64 Enterprise SP1 / .NET v4.5.50938.

Googling reveals that such 'Object reference' errors are related to the interactions between Infragistics DLL libraries and Microsoft .NET, but I'm not sure what I can do myself in order to get rid of that exception. Infragistics hotfixes aren't available to general public, as I understand. Any ideas?

BThunderW, are you still reading this forum?  :)

Offline testkins

« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2015, 04:13:32 pm »
Hi Tom,
I've just purchased a UNI-T UT71D, excellent device, and I'm very happy with it. However, I have just discovered that the UT71D does not work (yet) with UltraDMM... I sort of assumed that it would as the youtube videos of the 61D showed it working.

After having read this thread, I now understand the ins and outs a bit better. I can see your point of it is not worth investing in a UT71D yourself just for development purposes. Does that mean that the UT7D is on hold? Is there anything that UT71D owners can do/provide in order to assist you and make this happen?

I provide a screen shot of my Device Manager in the hope that it may help. I notice that it has slightly different from the USB Input Device HardwareIds of Wytnucls. Not sure why that is, then again, I am not exactly sure what I am looking at or for...

I hope that you don't give up on the UT71D as it is a cracking little meter, and in conjunction with UltraDMM would make an excellent tool.

Thanks,
Testkins

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2015, 01:49:40 pm »
I'm still here. I've started implementing two more chipsets (E51966, E51997F) one of which is used by the UT71D. Bear with me, my time nowadays is very limited.

Tom

Offline janaf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2015, 02:46:28 pm »
Great! I've got one of those!

Thanks for the good work!!!
my2C
Jan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2015, 11:53:32 pm »
Looks like the ES51966 doesn't actually have serial out capability and that's handled by another chip. Does anyone have a UT71 series DMM? Having difficulty finding documentation regarding serial output and I don't have that DMM myself, which makes adding support for it quite difficult.

Tom
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:55:20 pm by BThunderW »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #220 on: March 30, 2015, 12:43:34 am »
Here is what I have. These are for Conrad re-brands of the UT71X series.

Offline Archie

« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2015, 06:09:31 am »
Tom,
Do you have any comments about UltraDMM's unhandled exceptions mentioned above?

Offline JohnnyBerg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2015, 07:01:27 am »
In what language is the software written?
And what libraries where used for the graphical stuff?

Offline janaf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #223 on: March 30, 2015, 08:54:17 am »
Looks like the ES51966 doesn't actually have serial out capability and that's handled by another chip. Does anyone have a UT71 series DMM? Having difficulty finding documentation regarding serial output and I don't have that DMM myself, which makes adding support for it quite difficult.
Tom
I've got an UT71D but no additional docs than the ones posted. Anything I can help with?
my2C
Jan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #224 on: April 01, 2015, 02:50:49 pm »
It's a bug in the third party library. Unfortunately the fix requires the purchase of a newer version for which I currently do not have the funds for. I will see if I can replace the control with something else that's not quite as expensive.

Tom,
Do you have any comments about UltraDMM's unhandled exceptions mentioned above?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf