Author Topic: UltraDMM Software Project  (Read 132013 times)

Offline Archie

Re: UltraDMM Software Project
« Reply #225 on: April 01, 2015, 06:50:27 pm »
Thank you! Good to know it's not my particular setup problem then. It just was a bit unclear for me, being not reported by other users nor documented.

Next question is about more DMM models to be supported in the future. Are you interested in implementing the support for Victor protocol? It's somewhat unusual (essentially, information about active LCD elements is transferred via USB link to PC, instead of actual values), but relatively popular model VC86B (FS9721 chip) uses it. The documentation is available, and support is already implemented in several non-commercial packages...

Offline BThunderWTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2015, 06:52:37 pm »
I can certainly give it a shot if you're interested in being a test subject. Can you dump some output for me?

Tom

Thank you! Good to know it's not my particular setup problem then. It just was a bit unclear for me, being not reported by other users nor documented.

Next question is about more DMM models to be supported in the future. Are you interested in implementing the support for Victor protocol? It's somewhat unusual (essentially, information about active LCD elements is transferred via USB link to PC, instead of actual values), but relatively popular model VC86B (FS9721 chip) uses it. The documentation is available, and support is already implemented in several non-commercial packages...

Offline Archie

« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2015, 12:06:39 pm »
Great! Sure I'll be glad to provide testing. What namely dump you'd like to see? Intercepted USB traffic?

As for now, I can share some information sources already available for that range of DMMs.

Manufacturer page:
http://china-victor.com/english/en/product_data.aspx?ClassID=168&ID=125

Proprietary software:
http://china-victor.com/english/en/download.aspx

Future Semiconductor FS9721_LP3 datasheet:
http://www.ic72.com/pdf_file/f/48820.pdf
(serial output described on page 13)

USB interface for Victor 86B Digital Multimeter using HIDAPI project:
https://code.google.com/p/victor86b-usb-interface/
(source code available)

Victor 86C multimeter USB encoding for linux:
http://www.daveansell.co.uk/?q=node/44

Victor protocol pages on Sigrok project:
http://sigrok.org/wiki/Victor_protocol
http://sigrok.org/wiki/Victor_86C/Info

Input Devices page on RoastLogger software:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/green_bean/coffee/roastlogger/dmmdetails.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:08:41 pm by Archie »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2015, 01:06:09 pm »
Just a quick update on the project. I'm ripping out Infragistics dependency and switching to free gauge controls. Infragistics wants too much money for upgrades and I'm strapped for cash right now.

Offline janaf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #229 on: April 16, 2015, 07:26:36 pm »
IMO, right way to go. Even MS charting will do! Better to get it moving even if digits only.
my2C
Jan

Offline Archie

« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2015, 05:31:27 pm »
Well, some update on Victor 86B support. To my surprise, it seems that UltraDMM is already capable to handle it! I've accidentally found Russian article dated 30-05-2013 where owner of Victor 70C model reported successful experience with patched UltraDMM version:
http://mysku.ru/blog/aliexpress/16310.html

As I understand, the patch was required for previous UltraDMM version (1.0.4?) to suppor USB HID device, and now (for current 1.0.5) isn't needed anymore. For data source, Pro's Kit MT-1820 (USB) (Victor) was selected. Obvously, MT-1820 is based on the same Fortune FS9922-DMM4 chip as Victor 70C, and supplied with the same optical USB cable. Moreover, MT-1820 looks absolutely identical to the Victor 86E model, except for the colors of outer shell:
http://www.prokits.com.tw/en/product/product_detail.asp?catid=1&itemid=MT-1820

Clearly the same product from the same factory, just relabeled per customer requests.

I've tried using my Victor 86B with UltraDMM's MT-1820 driver. It "almost works": the "Test" buttom report "Success!", but measured value is always zero. Meter gauges display various modes if DMM's rotary switch is operated, and the graphs are moving/live: so, data carrier or clock from DMM is received just fine.

It seems that full support for Victor 86B requires just minor modifications of data interpretation algorithm, while most of the job (hardware support, data parsing, etc) is already done.

Hope the author will do that sometime...

Offline zerobrain

• Contributor
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2015, 09:45:15 pm »
This is a really great project!

Although reading through half the messages here, i have a question. I need to record two UT 61-E (USB). I can connect one and then receive the message, that it is not possbile to connect two devices from the same manufaturer.

- I´ve read here that this support is worked on (which is so great). Should that be working already (and i simply didn´t get it running)?
- if not, is there a workaround in using two different UNI-T models? I can still return one of them for an exchange?

I downloaded the current version 1.0.5.37035 from ultradmm.com

Offline Hagis2k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2015, 03:26:29 am »
Hi Tom!

So any updates on this software and maybe the possibility to be able to use it on my Voltcraft VC 850?

It is kind of strange as i can not get any data in raw monitor?

I am using the Uni-T serial to USB cable and it shows up in the dev mgr as: "USB\VID_1A86&PID_E008&REV_1200" it was a long time ago i asked you about this i think you said something like
there is already one instance that uses the same vid/pid is there any way to get around this or do you need to rewrite the software think you did mention it before as the crappy software
from voltcraft can communicate with it then maybe soon in the future udmm could replace it? it feels 100000 times better with your layout and work.

Looking forward to being able to use udmm instead of voltcrafts own crappy version :)

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #233 on: April 25, 2015, 03:31:23 pm »
it might be possible for you to support fluke 287/289's its a simple serial port that you send commands to the meter to get values in reply.

ID would return the meter id :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #234 on: May 05, 2015, 06:17:44 pm »

Gauge progress...not as good looking as the Infragistics but can't argue with free.

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #235 on: May 05, 2015, 07:12:50 pm »
Look at that https://www.devexpress.com/ it's better like Infragistics I think :box:

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #236 on: May 05, 2015, 08:57:50 pm »
The whole reason why I'm ripping out Infragistics is because I don't have the funds to update to the latest version in order to fix some bugs in the release that's being currently used. DevExpress is awesome but not free.

Look at that https://www.devexpress.com/ it's better like Infragistics I think :box:

Offline Hagis2k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2015, 09:35:15 pm »
Keep up the good job Tom!

That last screenshot looks really nice!!

So hows things coming along with the newer version of UDMM? think you talked about that you might re-code the software to be able to support more devices and so?

Was just thinking of why can i not get a raw data output thru the vc-850 and the uni-t data cable never really understood why lol but will it help if i capture the data packets
thru the orginal software so you can see if it communicates like the uni-t ut61d right? if i remember correctly.

Anyway take your time no rush, you are doing a great job on the software :)

I really like the layout and design way more then the voltcraft shit they supplied with the meter ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2015, 01:55:40 am »
Once I strip the proprietary libraries I will start working on a plug in system so that meters can be added by third parties.

Keep up the good job Tom!

That last screenshot looks really nice!!

So hows things coming along with the newer version of UDMM? think you talked about that you might re-code the software to be able to support more devices and so?

Was just thinking of why can i not get a raw data output thru the vc-850 and the uni-t data cable never really understood why lol but will it help if i capture the data packets
thru the orginal software so you can see if it communicates like the uni-t ut61d right? if i remember correctly.

Anyway take your time no rush, you are doing a great job on the software :)

I really like the layout and design way more then the voltcraft shit they supplied with the meter ;)

Offline Hagis2k

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2015, 07:45:28 am »
Sounds great Tom! :)

For those who waits for something awesome they can never wait to long! keep up the great work.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2015, 04:26:43 pm »
Infragistics is gone!

Few new features are coming. Any volunteer beta testers? :)

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #241 on: May 08, 2015, 04:32:26 pm »
I am willing when I get back home in a week but why not just post the beta and let everyone try?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:38:34 pm by Lightages »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #242 on: May 11, 2015, 03:16:41 pm »
v2.0 is a big rewrite of the core engine, needs good testing, didn't really want to post a build that could be broken.

One major feature of v2 is support for multiple USB meters of the same type. I don't have two exact meters to test it with so this is "experimental".

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #243 on: May 11, 2015, 05:39:34 pm »
Well I am still offering. I won't be able to do anything until the 15th of May though.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #244 on: May 12, 2015, 12:16:57 am »
Anyone want to give this a try?

http://www.ultradmm.com/release/wip/UltraDMM2.zip

Specifically I need someone with two identical USB meters to test this. Just unzip and run, there's no install necessary. Also, if you have UltraDMM 1.X installed, unzip into a different folder, there will be no conflict. Once this goes live the installer will not uninstall UltraDMM 1.x and will run both concurrently.

Change List:
  - Removed commercial library dependency
 + File Writer gauge
 + Custom gauge/chart colors
 + Gauges can now be resized
 + Multiple USB Meters of the same type
 * Bug fixes

I will also no longer be doing over-the-email support of custom meters. If you want to have your meter supported you will have to either loan me one or chip in $$ for one. I've tried working with several people on adding support but the email turn-around time is just way too long and doesn't work with my schedule.

I've received some rude emails from people telling me to support their meters and they expect me to shell out the money for it. Unfortunately, since I don't make a penny off of this program, buying a meter for development out of my pocket is no longer an option.

Tom

Offline Archie

« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2015, 05:43:23 am »
Does this means that plans to add VC86B meter/Victor protocol support using external/volunteer testing are gone?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #246 on: May 12, 2015, 02:25:04 pm »
Yes. I can add support to a meter in a couple of hours when it's in my hand, takes weeks to do it over email since response time is typically very slow. I just do not have that kind of time.

V2.1 will include plugin support so that other meters can be added by other developers.

Tom

Does this means that plans to add VC86B meter/Victor protocol support using external/volunteer testing are gone?

Offline sportq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #247 on: May 12, 2015, 03:35:08 pm »
I just downloaded it and attempted to run it but it doesn't start, no errors, crashes, etc - nothing. I'm at work so I don't have the meter connected (is that the problem?). This is on a new install of Windows 7 SP1 64bit fully patched, unpacked to my user directory.

Pete

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #248 on: May 12, 2015, 03:41:50 pm »
Can you go to Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application and see if there's any errors?

I just downloaded it and attempted to run it but it doesn't start, no errors, crashes, etc - nothing. I'm at work so I don't have the meter connected (is that the problem?). This is on a new install of Windows 7 SP1 64bit fully patched, unpacked to my user directory.

Pete

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #249 on: May 12, 2015, 08:10:34 pm »
Hello.

The same here...
Win7Pro 64-bit full updated.

At first run there was an error displayed.
(See appended txt-file: Errors after first run)

Since then: UltraDMM.exe simply doesn´t start after permitting installation.
The eventvwr shows two errors.
(See appended txt-file: Errors since first run)

My eventvwr-log is unfortunatly in some parts in german.
Perhaps it is anyhow useful for you. At least I hope so.

Hartmut

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf