Author Topic: UltraDMM Software Project  (Read 132126 times)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: UltraDMM Software Project
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2012, 01:55:37 pm »
Doh. Stupid IIS blocks unknown file extensions.  Fixed.

Link is bad?

IIS? Really?

IIS is harder to setup but i find it more stable compared to the likes of apache ... well at least it comes free with Windows Server and 7 Ultimate

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2012, 01:58:52 pm »

Link is bad?

IIS? Really?

IIS is harder to setup but i find it more stable compared to the likes of apache ... well at least it comes free with Windows Server and 7 Ultimate

Yeah, okay, sure.

Offline BThunderWTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2012, 02:16:48 pm »
I'm a professional windows/asp.net developer. IIS is my bread and butter :)

Tho I do run some LAMP servers too. My blog is running on CentOS/Apache/MySql.

I've already set DTR High but I changed some data/parity settings. I've updated the file. Give it a try now.

I assume RS232 is being displayed on the MM screen?

Can you connect to the MM via a serial console? If so, what connection settings are you using (Parity, Stopbits, Databits, etc)

Tom

Link is bad?

IIS? Really?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2012, 02:52:10 pm »

My condolences. You want somewhere a little.. faster, to host UltraDMM?

I've already set DTR High but I changed some data/parity settings. I've updated the file. Give it a try now.

Still no go. Yes, I did enable it :P

It's complaining about the format now. So that's a step.

Can you connect to the MM via a serial console? If so, what connection settings are you using (Parity, Stopbits, Databits, etc)

2400 8n1.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 02:59:41 pm »
Don't think you can provide anything faster than I already have.  One of my clients is an enterprise hosting company (Banks, Insurance companies) and they were kind enough to let me have a rack there. My rack is connected to a 1Gbit uplink and is extremely well peered :)

"It's complaining about the format now" - Can you be more specific please?

Tom

My condolences. You want somewhere a little.. faster, to host UltraDMM?

Still no go. Yes, I did enable it :P

It's complaining about the format now. So that's a step.

2400 8n1.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 03:14:29 pm »
I've updated the program to dump the output before it attempts to process it. That way we'll at least know what it is actually seeing before throwing the exception.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 03:15:07 pm »
Don't think you can provide anything faster than I already have.  One of my clients is an enterprise hosting company (Banks, Insurance companies) and they were kind enough to let me have a rack there. My rack is connected to a 1Gbit uplink and is extremely well peered :)

Use it, then, because 100KB/s is depressing. :)

"It's complaining about the format now" - Can you be more specific please?

Code: [Select]
2012-09-02 16:11:58 : Error: Meter 1:Input string was not in a correct format.:   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
   at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at System.Byte.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at DataReader.FS9922DMM4.UpdateValue(String Buffer)
   at DataReader.FS9922DMM4._Listener()

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 03:21:14 pm »
Hmm. Weird, I'm getting over 1MB/s downloading the file. I guess the peering with UK is not so good?

I can also just 7z the program without 3rd party so it'll be much smaller.

http://www.ultradmm.com/release/wip/UltraDMMPatch.7z

Run this and send me the raw output if you can.

Tom

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 03:26:11 pm »
Hmm. Weird, I'm getting over 1MB/s downloading the file. I guess the peering with UK is not so good?

Apparently not, because I can pull 4.8MB/s from anywhere I choose except there.

Not getting any raw output at all.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2012, 03:40:04 pm »
I'll check the network settings. I've recently started using Squid as a forwarding proxy on the firewall (pfSense). Wondering if that's the cause of the slowdown. Even at 1MB I should be getting faster. I have another rack at their second DC that's much faster.

I've added more error logging. Can you see if you can get some detail now?

Tom

Apparently not, because I can pull 4.8MB/s from anywhere I choose except there.

Not getting any raw output at all.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2012, 03:46:31 pm »
Will check shortly, am looking at the raw output myself via another method.

One protocol fix: Point byte is 34 for one decimal place, not 33.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2012, 04:02:11 pm »
2012-09-02 16:57:15 : Error: Meter 1:Unknown Data: '+0000 1

It won't C+P properly. Here, have hex and nibble output for this condition (manual ranging, 3 decimal places, DCV)

2B 30 30 30 30 20 31 11 00 00 80 00 0D 0A
0010.1011 0011.0000 0011.0000 0011.0000 0011.0000 0010.0000 0011.0001 0001.0001 0000.0000 0000.0000 1000.0000 0000.0000 0000.1101 0000.1010

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2012, 04:13:53 pm »
Interesting. According to the document spec for FS9922DMM4, the values are supposed to be hex values separated by dashes. e.g: 2D-33-32-31-30-20-31-11-00-00-80-80-0D-0A

Is it possible your meter is different chip?

Tom

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2012, 04:17:11 pm »
Interesting. According to the document spec for FS9922DMM4, the values are supposed to be hex values separated by dashes. e.g: 2D-33-32-31-30-20-31-11-00-00-80-80-0D-0A

That's just an example for easy reading, like the spaced values I provided. Raw hex would be 2B30303030203111000080000D0A

Hence the spacing. Wouldn't be 14 bytes if it had dashes would it? :)

Is it possible your meter is different chip?

Oh, it's definitely a FS9922-DMM4. I have three of them and two of the chips are fried. The protocol is the same for the FS9922-DMM3 and the FS9721-LP3.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 04:24:21 pm by Monkeh »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2012, 04:29:51 pm »
Updated. Please try.

Tom

Offline jamesp15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2012, 04:53:59 pm »
Support for the "RadioShack 22-812" would be great if its easily do-able.  Its a solid little cheap meter, but the software for it sucks and the 3rd party apps I have tried are almost as bad so far.  I dont use is near as much as I used to, but sometimes you need "just one more meter" when working on projects lol

Documentation for it is here: http://support.radioshack.com/productinfo/DocumentResults.asp?sku_id=22-812&Name=Search+Results&Reuse=N

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 05:19:54 pm »
did install the 7zip version. i guess the app doesnt like my UT71A which use usb to serial converter connection :(
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2012, 05:28:08 pm »
did install the 7zip version. i guess the app doesnt like my UT71A which use usb to serial converter connection :(

Well what chipset is it?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2012, 05:41:28 pm »
Well what chipset is it?
i dont know doesnt matter, the app doesnt even show the COM1 connection in the list. keep showing JIT debugger long message.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2012, 05:42:23 pm »
Which says.. what?

jucole

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2012, 06:24:20 pm »
Tom,  nice work! 

I have a UT70B so I wasn't sure it would hook-up so I just ran it in virtual mode.   
When I saw the desktop app icon I thought the application deserved better, so I created this one for you; that's if you want it that is.

tinypixels.co.uk/projects/misc/UltraDMM.ico

I tested the app on xp and vista - I just looked around at a few things but one thing I did notice was when I did a graph, after 10-15 minutes I got a red-cross image placeholder instead of the graph, and a debug exception thrown.

Also in the graph window you have a mouse-over graph value tool-tip type thing; I just thought it would be nice to show the time offset there as well perhaps?

I must say the graph window zoom - pan controls are very small and not easy to use. From a UI perspective perhaps you could keep the main graph area as a rolling display, then underneath have the entire data capture mini-graph drawing and getting compressed etc in the width of the window. The advantage of that is you could could select areas of interest within the mini graph below by a simple click to view.  You could highlight the area chosen with a red rectangle selection.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2012, 06:58:58 pm »
Downloading it now, gonna try it on my UT61E

PS. I'm getting 70KB/s on both my home computer in Romania and on a dedicated server i have in Holland. Seems like some traffic shaping on the connections.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2012, 06:59:50 pm »
Which says.. what?
my ut71a uses this cable with infrared led on the end, no direct physical contact with DMM hardware, its just detected as usb to serial converter by winxp. since its not showing up in the "create digital gauge" option when i hit continue from exception box, i guess its not supported? attached is the exception box message...
ps: i also did install and run the dmm.exe posted by B@W on the other thread which detected my DMM and reading correctly.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 07:13:34 pm »
Which says.. what?
my ut71a uses this cable with infrared led on the end, no direct physical contact with DMM hardware, its just detected as usb to serial converter by winxp. since its not showing up in the "create digital gauge" option when i hit continue from exception box, i guess its not supported? attached is the exception box message...
ps: i also did install and run the dmm.exe posted by B@W on the other thread which detected my DMM and reading correctly.

You have to add the meter.

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2012, 07:46:27 pm »
ok... some feedback:

windows 7 64 bit , ran from c:\programs\ultradmm  , ut61e , using some serial to usb adapter (prolific clone, windows driver installed automatically)

ran for the first time the application without anything connected. 

Edit meters , click on icon,  defaulted to first meter model, COM 1 , 2400 baud
Close app. Plugged the serial to usb adapter, Windows installed it as COM3. Connected meter and turned it on

Start app , edit meters, click on new, now defaulted to COM3 but still first meter from menu. Does it default to last com port or it somehow detected activity on the port?
Selected UT61E and changed automatically to 19200.  Clicked Test button and said "Unknown model name". After saving the meter, if I click edit, it still says unknown model name when I press on Test.
The window is bad usability wise.. when hovering over buttons it should say add, edit, delete, close ... I actually stopped and wondered if i should click on the right button with the arrow. I wasn't sure if it's "Close and use" or just close.

Add gauge > digital gauge...  it's nice but not really very useful when the meter refreshes so often. I had it on volts and just touching the probes with fingers and first thing I noted is that it switches to uV, mV and V ... I hate it that it switches , I'd rather have more digits and have a fixed decimal point somewhere. Why shift my eyes left and right to chase the value?  In the worst case, maybe have [ auto / uv /mv / v ] selectable option.

It would also be super useful to have a sort of value history... maybe let me see below the digit gauge, the previous 10 measurements different and ignore the readings that repeat in that list.

Graph was nice. Right when I started the window was saying with a big red text error but then the graph was drawn.

I like that the graph stops and resumes without errors if I turn off the meter and start it again. But I'd rather have the graph pause or at least throw a warning and change to proper indicators when I switch from V to mV.
When on V it works fine showing 0, -0.018v etc but when you switch to mV it now hovers at around 100-150mV depending on how I hold the probes, so the graph gets messy ... picture me doing graph of a 1.8v source and with the device turned off I see 10-20 mV then flipping to mV and scale now jumps to 200 mV - the graph doesn't make sense anymore.
When pressing to switch to Hz or % the digital gauge shows Hz or %, but the graph shows mV and pV on the scale.

Other than that, I like it that at least it clears the graph when I switch to resistance measurement but I'd probably like to be able to have several graphs on screen that pause and resume when going into the proper setting, instead of clearing the graph.

Very nice so far, I like it.

ok .. strange... turned the app off, and started the uni-t software to compare... turned it off. Started the app again and went straight to meters and clicked connect ... got an exception. Closed it before I saw what it said out of reflex, but i went to meters > edit meters and there's no saved meter there. I saved it before i closed the app the previous time. Now file > exit doesn't work, it asks if I want to save and if I say No, it doesn't close. 
I said Yes, tried to save to c:\temp\a.xml and there's an error message saying requested registry access is not allowed. Second time File > Exit , Do you want to save , yes > straight to the registry error message popup. So I have to kill the process to get out.

Restart > edit meters > no meters saved... added meter again , everything works.  Exit , start app, edit meters .. list gone. So meters are not saved  ... maybe as its running from c:\programs\ultradmm it doesn't have rights to registry or wherever it saves the list?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf