Author Topic: UPS output configuration questions  (Read 732 times)

Offline drummerdimitriTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
UPS output configuration questions
« on: March 18, 2018, 12:31:48 am »
So my UPS is quite sofisticated in that I can change some output parameters but I am not sure what to set those at:

Slew rate 0.25 to 4 Hz/s.

Static frequency tolerance from 1 to 10%.

Note sure what settings to select for those functions.

Electricity is of poor quality I would say in case that makes it easier to select the settings to chose.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
Re: UPS output configuration questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 03:01:21 am »
Static frequency tolerance sets the acceptable input frequency range, when its outside of that the UPS takes action.  If the target frequency is 60hz and you set 5% tolerance, then the UPS will override if the incoming frequency is outside of 57-63Hz. Most utility supply regions have a tolerance of somewhere around +-0.5Hz. Low quality generators may have much larger range. Many (but not all) computer type equipment can function with 5% frequency tolerance. Some types of motorized equipment require tighter than 5%. 

Slew rate sets how fast the input frequency is allowed to change before the UPS takes action.  A setting of 1 Hz/s means the input frequency can change from 60Hz->61Hz no faster than 1 second before the UPS overrides. I don't know what the large utilities supply, but it's probably going to be low. A low quality generator might have much higher values (especially if equipment will be dynamically loading generator).  If the output load is something that can not change quickly (for example a large motor with large inertia), then you'd likely set the slew rate on the lower side. Many computer type equipment power supplies (switching) are more tolerant, so you could set higher in many cases.

In both cases, you'd likely set these between whatever tolerance your source provides and whatever tolerance the equipment can take.

The following users thanked this post: drummerdimitri

Offline drummerdimitriTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: UPS output configuration questions
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 08:25:21 am »
Static frequency tolerance sets the acceptable input frequency range, when its outside of that the UPS takes action.  If the target frequency is 60hz and you set 5% tolerance, then the UPS will override if the incoming frequency is outside of 57-63Hz. Most utility supply regions have a tolerance of somewhere around +-0.5Hz. Low quality generators may have much larger range. Many (but not all) computer type equipment can function with 5% frequency tolerance. Some types of motorized equipment require tighter than 5%. 

Slew rate sets how fast the input frequency is allowed to change before the UPS takes action.  A setting of 1 Hz/s means the input frequency can change from 60Hz->61Hz no faster than 1 second before the UPS overrides. I don't know what the large utilities supply, but it's probably going to be low. A low quality generator might have much higher values (especially if equipment will be dynamically loading generator).  If the output load is something that can not change quickly (for example a large motor with large inertia), then you'd likely set the slew rate on the lower side. Many computer type equipment power supplies (switching) are more tolerant, so you could set higher in many cases.

In both cases, you'd likely set these between whatever tolerance your source provides and whatever tolerance the equipment can take.

Thanks for the elaborate answer.

I have two computers attached to the UPS running 24/7 (mining) and although I understood the terms I am still not quite sure what to set those at...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf