Author Topic: USB endoscope and Garmin nuvii  (Read 1385 times)

Offline raidencmcTopic starter

USB endoscope and Garmin nuvii
« on: October 18, 2016, 10:04:13 pm »
I have a Usb endoscope and an old garmin nuvi 255w. I am wondering if there is some way to connect the 2. I would imagine that the endoscope produces some sort of video signal when connected to a voltage from the usb source. Can you cut the usb cable and take that signal and connect it somewhere inside the garmin. And if so how do I figure out that connection point?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Offline jeroen79

• Frequent Contributor
Re: USB endoscope and Garmin nuvii
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:39:10 am »
USB is a digital serial interface, it does not contain 'some sort of video signal' by itself.
Likely it will present itself as a camera to the USB host it is connected to.
If that host is programmed to recognize a cameradevice then it could use the videodata sent from the camera.

Note that I mentioned 'USB host', this is a specific role within the USB scheme.
Normally peripherals (such as a camera or gps) will take the role of 'device'.
Unless they have a female USB A port (as on your PC) or they are advertised as having host or OTG capability you likely cannot plug the camera into the garmin gps and expect it to work.

And you'd have to reprogram the garmin as well.
But if you're up to that challenge and don't mind voiding the garmin's warranty then you could probably put a microcontroller in between the endoscope and the garmin.

To find out _where_ you could connect things on the garmin you would have to see what is inside and then study the datasheets for the relevant processor/controller.
It may have some free gpio/serial/i2c/etc ports.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:43:39 am by jeroen79 »

Offline raidencmcTopic starter

Re: USB endoscope and Garmin nuvii
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 08:18:52 pm »
Ok that is a little bit above my ability. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf