Author Topic: Using Two Identical transformer to form Centre Tap Configuration  (Read 13829 times)

Offline basit701Topic starter

• Contributor
Hello Guys!

My requirement for project is 24_0_24 volt and 2amp each tap. Unfortunately 24_0_24 volt center tap in my area is only available with current rating of 800mA. To meet the 2amp requirement I bought TWO 24v 2 amp transformers and connected their outputs in series to form 24_0_24. The two transformers are identical i.e. same manufacturer, same rating etc.

The two transformer configuration is working perfectly, but when I discussed about this method with my friends. Their reply was not in favour of this, most of them said that if one of transformer gets short circuited it will short the other transformer and both will not work. A couple of them said that it will damage the components like ICs etc.

What are they saying is correct or not?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: Using Two Identical transformer to form Centre Tap Configuration
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 04:12:59 pm »
Your solution is perfectly fine. Your friends are misinformed.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:32:30 pm »
The solution is fine, even if the transformers are not identical. The downside is, that 2 smaller transformers usually are larger, more expensive and have slightly lower efficiency.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 05:03:29 pm »
So this configuration will work fine as centre tap will?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 05:12:02 pm »
Yes, it will work. I have taken apart some OKI printers, and there they used 2 separate 120VAC transformers, with the mains voltage switching being to connect the primaries in series for 230VAC and in parallel for 120VAC use. Secondaries were used like you did to make a centre tapped winding giving 24VDC for the hammer drives, and another 2 secondaries to give 8VDC for the 5v rail and 12V rails for the RS232 interface.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 05:12:32 pm »
So this configuration will work fine as centre tap will?

Yes it will. However be aware you have to make sure you wire the two secondary windings so they 'add' and not 'subtract' causing zero voltage output.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 06:04:13 pm »
Small point... It does depend a little on what you are doing with the outputs. If you are planning to put a bridge rectifier across the two 24V outputs to create a center tapped DC output (as I suspect you are) then you'll be fine as long as the load on both DC rails is equal.

If you were planning to use the transformers in a traditional 'full-wave' configuration - 2 diodes, to generate a single rail then you would get DC saturation of the transformers.

As I say, probably not the case here, but something to be aware of if blanket replacing a single transformer with two.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 06:08:07 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 06:07:31 pm »
If you were planning to use the transformers in a traditional 'full-wave' configuration - 2 diodes, to generate a single rail then you would get DC saturation of the transformers.

As I say, probably not the case here, but something to be aware of if blanket replacing a single transformer with two.

Why would two transformers in series behave differently than a single centre tapped transformer in this configuration? Is it because of unbalanced current in the primaries?

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 06:09:09 pm »
For what it is worth, your friends are at least partly right.  If the primary of one transformer shorts it will kill both outputs.  So what.  If you had a single center tapped transformer and shorted the primary it wouldn't work either. 

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 06:11:31 pm »
Yes, in a single transformer (ie. single magnetic core) then imbalances between the secondary windings cancels. Not necessarily the case if you have 2 separate cores.

Somebody please tell me I'm talking rubbish here  :)
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 06:15:31 pm »
Yes, in a single transformer (ie. single magnetic core) then imbalances between the secondary windings cancels. Not necessarily the case if you have 2 separate cores.

Somebody please tell me I'm talking rubbish here  :)
How is that any different than using a single transformer with a single half-wave rectifier?  Its been done a million times with no apparent ill effects.

And using dual transformers like @basit701 proposes is done all the time as well.  I don't see what all the fuss is about?

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 06:21:34 pm »
I am probably wrong  :palm: - I just can't think whether an unbalanced current draw after the (presumed) bridge rectifier relative to the center tap would cause any DC saturation in the transformers.

Using a separate bridge on each transformer and combining the center tap at the DC side avoid any potential issue anyway.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 06:26:33 pm »
How is that any different than using a single transformer with a single half-wave rectifier?  Its been done a million times with no apparent ill effects.

Yes it has been done a million times, but half wave rectifying the output of a transformer seriously de-rates its output current vs full wave rectification.
Best Regards, Chris

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 06:49:56 pm »
I am using this rectifier circuit.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 07:15:40 pm »
This is the approach I was suggesting (ignore extra components, I just pulled it off Googe images).

It may be overkill, but It addresses the possible issue that I raised.
Best Regards, Chris

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 07:24:36 pm »
This is the approach I was suggesting (ignore extra components, I just pulled it off Googe images).

It may be overkill, but It addresses the possible issue that I raised.

The circuit you posted contains independent bridge rectifiers for each tap. What the significance of using this over a single bridge rectifier for both taps as in the circuit which i have posted.

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 07:46:41 pm »
What the significance of using this over a single bridge rectifier for both taps as in the circuit which i have posted.
For example in your single bridge design if one of the capacitors will change its capacity due to many factors than you can end up with different +V and -V  since they are charged in series-additionaly one of them can be overcharged to higher voltage than nominal if this capacity change will be higher ???

So, in simple mosfet driver design like this where I have two caps in series and ~24V accross them, I have additional resistors to balance capacitors voltage and keep its voltage at the same +/-V  ;)
But you have a few amps outputs there, so such simply balancing is not an option, so you'll probably have to pray and keep those caps at good condition, so that is one of the reasons I better like solution with two bridges and separate floating PSUs to form +/-V  :-+
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:49:31 pm by eneuro »
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 08:05:03 pm »
Sometimes, especially in a one-off application it is simpler to do something that you know will absolutely work than spend too much time wondering about a possible issue (like the possible DC imbalance with unequal load that I was talking about). I may well be completely wrong but I would need to analyse it in detail to be completely comfortable. As I say, I know for sure the dual bridge circuit will work as expected.

That said, feel free to make me slightly uncomfortable.  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:09:21 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 08:10:37 pm »
You are aware that the dual-bridge-rectifier configuration is identical to the standard center tap configuration, except you need double the diodes and have doubled the rectifier losses?

@eneuro: this is false. The maximum potential imbalance across the filter caps is determined by the transformer, not their capacitance. What you say would be the case if you did not connect the center tap.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 08:12:42 pm »
The dual bridge rectifier circuit offers no benefits for a single, centre tapped transformer but has the benefit of preventing core saturation if two transformers are used and the DC currents are significantly unbalanced.

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 08:14:33 pm »
As I say, I know for sure the dual bridge circuit will work as expected.
Yep, you have two floating PSUs.

Voltage imbalance I was talking above-probably this is not what we want-made quite bad scenario where one cap capacity changes +20% while other goes down -20%  and bingo +20V vs -30V >:D

Fundamentals friday  :D

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 08:19:24 pm »
The maximum potential imbalance across the filter caps is determined by the transformer, not their capacitance. What you say would be the case if you did not connect the center tap.
Haven't got more time today to put into simulator whole circuit, so you can be the first to proove you are right  ;)
-||-|-

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 08:21:59 pm »
No simulator needed for that.  ???

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 08:25:59 pm »
@dom0

I've gone from a nagging doubt to sketching this out on the back of an envelope....

For the single bridge rectifier case, take an extreme case of full load on the +ve rail and zero load on the -ve rail. Now look at the current waveforms (and therefore the core magnetisations) on each of the transformers. Now compare with the secondaries (overall magnetization) on a single core (ie single transformer). I think they are different.  ;) What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:29:33 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 08:41:31 pm »
I see your point there, for large imbalances that becomes an issue (or a really large, fuse-blowing one with toroidal transformers).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf