Author Topic: vacuum pump messing with sensitive electronics  (Read 1151 times)

Offline basbrTopic starter

vacuum pump messing with sensitive electronics
« on: October 18, 2016, 10:32:20 am »
hello smart people of the internet

let me start by saying im a young player as dave would say and a bit of a newbie on this subject.

the situation is this, we have 5 DLP 3D printers and one vacuum chamber + pump that we use to cure the prints with.
every time that we turn on the pump the printers spit out a load of gibberish and stop printing, presumably because of the sudden current draw on startup of the pump.
i dont have any equipment to measure the noise it kicks out. it happens mostly on start up

right now we can only use the pump when all printers are off/idle and some prints can take up to 40 hours
the pump: 230V 50hz , 3/4HP

what is the best way to solve this problem so we can use the pump without affecting the printers.

thanks to anyone that can help/steer me in the right direction

Offline Jeff_Birt

• Regular Contributor
Re: vacuum pump messing with sensitive electronics
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 01:14:00 pm »
Motors are great electrical noise generators, especially when they start and stop. The electrical noise is both radiated through the air and conducted back down the mains. The extent of each type of noise depends on the type of motor and if it used some sort of electronic speed control.

For a simple AC induction motor or 'universal' motor you may be able to get by with plugging the motor into a different mains circuit. Ideally you would want to stop the noise at its source though. The motor itself generates noise and I like to say the first line of defense is to put a line filter on the mains feed to the motor as close to the motor as possible. Here is an example of the type of filters I use for small AC motors: http://www.soigeneris.com/line_filter_kit-details.aspx (this is my website and I am not posting this as advertising, it is just the easiest link for me to find and post).

Filtering the AC input to other devices that might be affected is the next line of defense. In my small shop I also used one of these type of filters on the mains going to my shop PC after finding that a small florescent lamp above the workbench would generate enough noise to cause the 5V on the USB bus to go negative briefly.

You can find these types of filters inside a lot of different types of equipment so even if it is hard to source in your country or you need one quickly you might be able to salvage one from an old photo copier, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf