Author Topic: Valentines Day Project for my girlfriend  (Read 7459 times)

Offline Thermal RunawayTopic starter

• Contributor
Valentines Day Project for my girlfriend
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:08:22 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just a quick project I did for my girlfriend this Valentines Day, 2010.  It's just a real simple Multivibrator circuit, with the Q and !Q lines fed to some output FETs.  The reason for such large output FETs was that I also intended to make an incandescent version which would have required much larger current switching capability.

Check it out here:

Brian
--------------------
Electronics Engineer, Land Rover enthusiast, Amiga Computer fan and general GEEK
--------------------

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Valentines Day Project for my girlfriend
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:59:35 pm »
Good work.

Did you use a separate IC/transistors for the multivibrator?

You can make a simple astable with a couple of MOSFETS - no other active components required.

You can also buy pink LEDS to make it a bit more romantic.

A 555 timer is also another simple option.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:02:41 pm »
Yeah I just used the standard multivibrator template circuit - two transistors and an RC circuit to alternately switch each transistor on/off.  Then some output FETs to power the LEDs.

I took a look at the pink LEDs but, unfortunately, I didn't have the time to perfect my PCB design to allow for current limiting resistors (I was trying to fit this between work and Uni).  So I just used some LEDs with built in current limiting components, which simplified the PCB design.  I couldn't find any pink LEDs in that form.

She likes it anyway :)

Brian
--------------------
Electronics Engineer, Land Rover enthusiast, Amiga Computer fan and general GEEK
--------------------

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 01:11:21 pm »
Next year I think I'll plan something a lot more ambitious :)
--------------------
--------------------

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:07:44 pm »
Hi, nice project.

How did you arrange the LEDs into a heart form? What software did you use for the PCB?

Thanks!

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 05:10:54 pm »
Actually I puzzled over how to arrange the LEDs for quite some time.  In the end I used Microsoft Visio to design the shape I wanted, then extracted the x-y coordinates and used them to place the components in the PCB Design program.  The first design I did sucked because the gaps between the LEDs was not completely uniform, so I did another design using a set length line with end points on it.  The use of a set length line ensured that the gaps between points would always be the same.  I then just copied and pasted the same line each time, placing them end to end and changing the angle of the line to suit the outline of the shape.  Afterwards it was just a case of extracting the X-Y positions of the end points.  There may very well be an easier way though!

For the PCB Design I used Eagle.

Brian
--------------------
--------------------

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:39:37 pm »
Yeah I just used the standard multivibrator template circuit - two transistors and an RC circuit to alternately switch each transistor on/off.  Then some output FETs to power the LEDs.

You could've saved a couple of transistors, the MOSFETs could've doubled as the oscillator.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 10:59:35 pm »
Yeah do you know what, I toyed with that very idea but for some reason couldn't get it to work that way in prototype form and... with very little time to spare... I just had to go with what worked.  Thanks for that though :)

Brian
--------------------
--------------------

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 11:58:02 pm »
I think I know where you went wrong.

You probably just connected the circuit up the same as the BJTs but replaced them with MOSFETs?

The circuit needs to be subtly modified to work with MOSFETS: note the position of R2 and R3.

Offline migsantiago

• Frequent Contributor
    • MigSantiago's Web Site
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 02:14:26 pm »
Actually I puzzled over how to arrange the LEDs for quite some time.  In the end I used Microsoft Visio to design the shape I wanted, then extracted the x-y coordinates and used them to place the components in the PCB Design program.  The first design I did sucked because the gaps between the LEDs was not completely uniform, so I did another design using a set length line with end points on it.  The use of a set length line ensured that the gaps between points would always be the same.  I then just copied and pasted the same line each time, placing them end to end and changing the angle of the line to suit the outline of the shape.  Afterwards it was just a case of extracting the X-Y positions of the end points.  There may very well be an easier way though!

For the PCB Design I used Eagle.

Brian

Well, it seems that there is no software for item arrangement on PCB's. Good job!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 09:32:10 am »
nice work

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf