Author Topic: Warning : Fake large electrolytic on eBay !!  (Read 35224 times)

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Warning : Fake large electrolytic on eBay !!
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 11:51:56 pm »
Have not you ever heard of fake battery cells?

This is a fake D cell, which actually includes a C cell inside with half the capacity of a D cell! [source]

Kiriakos, I can remember that in the late eighties you could find over here, in Greece, fake 2N3055's that could not deliver more than 3A without self destruction.

-George
Hi! This is George; and I am three and a half years old!
(This was one of my latest realisations, now in my early fifties!...)

Offline Kiriakos-GRTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 12:06:08 am »
Kiriakos, I can remember that in the late eighties you could find over here, in Greece, fake 2N3055's that could not deliver more than 3A without self destruction.

-George

Never had see any in the supply of my own town, not to say that I was always getting Motorola ones.  ;)
And if I need a more powerful version I use 2N3772
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:08:43 am by Kiriakos-GR »

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 12:23:20 am »
But AH you must understand the Greece that exists in the mind of Kiriakos is a very different place from anything that exists in reality and is a place with no relationship to any actual events in your wonderful country.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 05:37:06 am »

-George

yes i remember reading about this in Italy, apparently people stopped using those parts

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 11:01:31 am »
[...]
And if I need a more powerful version I use 2N3772
My point is that a special batch of eponymous transistors rated at 60V, 15A and 115W could not handle a mere load of 12V/3A DC... Isn't this the definition of fake?

And, yes, in my second attempt to build a decent bench power supply (a LM723 based 400W PSU of 0.0-40.0V and 0.00-10.00A continuous output) in the early-to-mid-eighties (that is still going strong today!) I installed a couple of forced-cooled 2N3772 at the power stage!

But AH you must understand the Greece that exists in the mind of Kiriakos is a very different place from anything that exists in reality and is a place with no relationship to any actual events in your wonderful country.

UV, are not all the people living their lives according to the image of the world every individual has built in their mind? I am sure you do, as I have become aware that I do. What can someone do to improve their lives? The first and major step is the rejection of the false realities instilled into someone's mind; instilled, since childhood by the already mislead parents (the highest authorities in a child's world) and procreated by the religious, educational, political and media institutions throughout their lives.

No one is perfect; not me, nor you, nor anyone. And this is not a /////// axiom; it is reality.
What I can see in Kiriakos is a lot of enthusiastic creativity (a quality that is extremely rare in people) and a healthy share of pride; not to mention his sense of humor (that is an indication of some certain positive qualities) and his selfless and honest willingness to help others in an undiscriminating manner. Well, if some people find his pride annoying, I am sure that there are much more people out there that find the "us and them" racist attitude, certain religions and political schools advocate, offensive at the least...

N.B. To prevent any risk of the misunderstanding or misinterpretation of the last sentence above, I would like to stress that this is not a personal attack. It is an objective observation and not an implication or any kind of indirect statement about anyone in particular. I am just trying to redirect the focus of attention to much worse and villainous attitudes than a healthy share of pride.

yes i remember reading about this in Italy, apparently people stopped using those parts

Simon, now I think again about it, I must have been wrong about the time it happened. It was definitely not the late eighties; it rather was during the early eighties that the fake 2N3055 hit the Athenian market because it was already happening during the time I was constructing my 400W bench PSU.

-George
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:29:44 am by A Hellene »

Offline Gall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 11:28:13 am »
My point is that a special batch of eponymous transistors rated at 60V, 15A and 115W could not handle a mere load of 12V/3A DC... Isn't this the definition of fake?

In most cases, they take cheap low-power parts with the same package and pinout and mark them as more powerful ones.

It is quite common for TO-220 transistors. They even don't change the logo since the manufacturer is the same: i.e., IRF640 turns into IRF840 easily, TDA2030 into TDA2050 etc. There was a big problem with TDA7293 and TDA7294 in my city a couple years ago, at local stores all made from TDA7296.
The difficult we do today; the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 11:43:05 am »
Exactly! Remarking cheaper parts to more expensive (or any other) ones is fakery.

-Gerge

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 11:49:17 am »
I read about 2N3055 in the late 90's in Italy I don't know when they were referring to but they mentioned that unmarked/unknown parts were just marked as the then very popular 2N3055 to get them sold off. that would count as faking a part. This was part of an article that pointed out it was not using any 2N3055's in the design being presented because of this so not a lot of detail was given

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 01:27:16 pm »
I once got a bag full of MJ15024 power transistors from a not so reputable source. They were marked  and sold to me as genuine Motorola parts, albeit quite cheap. I wanted to use them in a rather beefy linear power supply for a audio mixing desk.
When I screwed them onto their heatsinks they all went "Ping" and the round cover popped of the baseplate of the TO-3 case.
Wonderfull stuff, you couldn't make it up :)  . Turns out the baseplate was slightly bent and the strain from tightening the screws on either side caused the lid to fall off.
This got me suspicious. And the fact that the Motorola label looked not quite as I remembered it.
I tested a few of the damaged transistors and they all went south at around 5A load without getting hot. The dies were "bonded" to the case with what looked like bathroom sealant (silicone), wich I recon has rather dubious thermal properties.

I then called a very reliable supplier and ordered a few real Motorola MJ15024's. Lesson learned.

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 03:31:50 pm »

I then called a very reliable supplier and ordered a few real Motorola MJ15024's. Lesson learned.

True, the most important filtering about fakes, are the knowledgeable  supplier.
There is about 6-7 major ones in Greece,  and so far we never had issues.

By buying directly from ebay,  you are always taking the major part of the risk.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:37:46 pm by Kiriakos-GR »

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 03:54:15 pm »

UV, are not all the people living their lives according to the image of the world every individual has built in their mind? I am sure you do, as I have become aware that I do. ........................................
What I can see in Kiriakos is a lot of enthusiastic creativity (a quality that is extremely rare in people) and a healthy share of pride; not to mention his sense of humor (that is an indication of some certain positive qualities) and his selfless and honest willingness to help others in an undiscriminating manner. Well, if some people find his pride annoying, I am sure that there are much more people out there that find the "us and them" racist attitude, certain religions and political schools advocate, offensive at the least...

-George

George thanks for recognizing to me my true motives,  but the case with Mr UV is a lost cause.
Many voices had try so far to in-light him with the use of perfect English and American language,
so to help him to become compatible with the spirit of this forum,
he is unable to become compatible, and he keeps be negative charged and still behaves with weird ways.

Personally I can totally ignore him, but he looks like a virus among us  the positive behaving people,
and so I do not see any other solution,  than be permanently banned.

I am receiving his negative explosions for about two months, its time the truth to come in the surface,
and Dave it self to do something about it.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 05:51:17 pm »

UV, are not all the people living their lives according to the image of the world every individual has built in their mind? I am sure you do, as I have become aware that I do. ........................................

-George

George thanks for recognizing to me my true motives,  but the case with Mr UV is a lost cause.
Many voices had try so far to in-light him with the use of perfect English and American language,
so to help him to become compatible with the spirit of this forum,
he is unable to become compatible, and he keeps be negative charged and still behaves with weird ways.

Personally I can totally ignore him, but he looks like a virus among us  the positive behaving people,
and so I do not see any other solution,  than be permanently banned.

I am receiving his negative explosions for about two months, its time the truth to come in the surface,
and Dave it self to do something about it.

Actually your as bad as each other in your own ways, just learn to live with each other. Your lack of English and understanding of native English speakers ways may not help you though but you can still be annoying, some people can't live and let live though

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 09:15:29 pm »
Well dear friend , some people should never stuck their nooses in what the other people believes,
for God shake, this is a technical forum.
Two months full of silly rants and attacks under the belt, is something that would force even the most peaceful man to react. 

And I do have an major complain right now, if you do not plan to do anything about it,
just stay silent.

Alex

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 10:42:11 pm »

-George

I second that, I have also been a victim of fake 2n3055s in Greece when I was replacing them here back in the days:
http://www.smartkit.gr/index.php/kit/amplifiers/hi-fi-amplifier-60w.html?___store=us&___from_store=gr

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 11:10:09 pm »
No one is perfect; not me, nor you, nor anyone. And this is not a /////// axiom; it is reality.

N.B. To prevent any risk of the misunderstanding or misinterpretation of the last sentence above, I would like to stress that this is not a personal attack. It is an objective observation and not an implication or any kind of indirect statement about anyone in particular. I am just trying to redirect the focus of attention to much worse and villainous attitudes than a healthy share of pride.
No problems George I understand completely what you are saying.  It is a question of balance, pride is not wrong if kept in perspective, it is fine for one to be proud, it is ignoranthowever when that prides extends to derision and contempt for the pride and values of others. 

Equally humour is a valuable commodity but it requires the ability to be able to handle as much as one can give.

Of course someone in Europe will have most interest in a European perspective, but it is downright ignorant for that same person to not recognise that someone from Asia or the US, Australia or the UK will have an entirely different perspective and experience. The wise amongst us revel in that diversity, the fools use it as a hobby horse for some misguided pride.

His constant slurs and negative references towards the USA are offensive, outlandish statements such as all UK eBay will be stolen goods due to some riots are clearly nonsense as are the regular reference to Greek super-powers of perspective and reasoning.

Enthusiasm is to be encouraged, but only when that enthusiasm shows respect for the needs, wants and enjoyment of others. Enthusiasm is not license to ignore respect for other participants, neither is it some kind of license to assume a personal worth above that of any other participant.

Cheers again George, and thank you for you efforts to make this a better place. 

Offline A Hellene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 02:35:47 am »
Yes, Alex! Those fake parts were mostly available at the Athens Flea Market electronic components stores. The major parts suppliers located at Kaningos Sq. have always had descent parts. For quality or really exotic parts there was John Paschalides ("Atomiki") --if, of course, you were willing to open your wallet really wide!

Kiriakos and Uncle Vernon,

I am glad to see that the whole matter seems to have been dissolved into the conclusion that, tolerance of the foreign cultures' views can be rewarding for both the parties; especially when there is no malice.

-George

EDIT: Spelling...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:59:11 am by A Hellene »

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 06:24:25 am »
Kiriakos and Uncle Vernon,

I am glad to see that the whole matter seems to have been dissolved into the conclusion that, tolerance of the foreign cultures' views can be rewarding for both the parties; especially when there is no malice.

-George
Nothing to do with tolerance of foreign cultures from my perspective George, I welcome the variety and diversity of perspectives from different regions.
Any issue has been to do with manners and respect for others including 3rd parties. For my part I should just let it go, but I'll be far from the last to call him on his on-line behavior and for every one who speaks up there are another hundred who suffer in silence.

Kiriakos cannot accept a differing opinion without concluding it is some conspiracy that is telling him how to think!
For someone so keen on on independent thought Kiriakos is very keen to tell others what they should do and think!

If Kiriakos wants to tell moderators how to moderate and dictate how other participants should behave then he'd be best to start his own little spot on the web. But then he's already tried that.

I welcome his opinions at the same time I wont tolerate his attempts to shout down opinions or contributions by myself or anyone else. His record precedes him it doesn't take too much of a google search to reveal a long history of similar on-line behavior. 

Offline eternal_noob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 08:39:43 pm »
You have been Rubyconned in a can,  :P

Offline norEL

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2011, 08:37:00 am »
Some one else pointed this picture to me.
And I will share it with all of you.  :)

If you do not have a good DMM that reads 10.000mF or more, do not delay about getting one.

Wonder what the "6800uF" cap's voltage rating is... Sad it dosen't show on the pic...

Alex

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2011, 10:41:23 am »
It appears to be 50 Volts.

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2011, 11:14:44 am »
It looks that I had miss some episodes here.  :)
Any way, the truth is that there in no chance the story with the UV to have an honky dory turn out.
Some people are not educated enough so to participate in conversations, with people from other cultures.

My solution is to avoid totally any off topic conversation, and to avoid any member who has no interest about electronics.

Offline ChrisKiwi

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 01:07:29 am »
Oh well I seem to have screwed my quoting up some how, my comments were directed at something Simon said a page or two back.......

[/quote]

and you caution other people about sensational titles, this very picture has been around for a long time and was already discussed. I really thought you had found something new !
[/quote]

I few weeks ago a student inferred, in front of many other people, I was a lazy cheat and I "should do the hard yards" (I was discussing a Matlab problem with another student and suggested reconstructing the help file example to get a better idea how the model worked), then a couple of weeks later a lecturer was commenting about the amount of copying that was going on and then, in front of the whole class, pointed his finger at this guy and his friend and said "If you guys work was any similar it would be identical".  Naturally I pointed out the irony, which he failed (or refused) to see, not that I'm trying to compare the OP with my situation - this post just reminded me of it!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:31:14 am by ChrisKiwi »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf