Author Topic: Weekend Project: converter from RS-232 to fibre optics  (Read 3780 times)

Offline 128erTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Weekend Project: converter from RS-232 to fibre optics
« on: December 14, 2014, 11:36:37 pm »
Hey EEVBloggers,

thought I could present my little weekend project. Often at my job a converter from RS-232 to fibre optics would have been very useful . Primarily to readout/configure power devices or test gear.

Some examples:
http://www.advanced-energy.com/en/THYRO_P.html
https://www.gossenmetrawatt.com/english/produkte/mavowatt40.htm

Why DIY? Because they seem to be not that cheap and of course for the fun and education.

In particular I wanted the thing to be small. So it should fit in some sort of DB-9 enclosure. Found out that a Siemens Profibus-DP Connector provides enough space for all parts. Some parts of the enclosure had to be milled off. Then I etched a PCB and soldered all parts on. And dont ask why, but I don't remember myself why the hell I ordered a MAX3311 in µMAX package. It was a PITA to solder the damn thing.   :palm:

It is powered from USB with 5V. I could have done a few improvements. Like LED's to indicate power or data transfer action. And one little thing. If I had swapped the positions of the optics transmitter and receiver, the arrows on the enclosure would correlate to the data direction of the fibres. Also I'm not that happy about the board layout. Because of limitations from the single sided construction. But I think the whole thing is not realy critical in terms of signal integrity. The converter actually works very well.  Maybe I will do a revision in the future ::)

No rocket science, but a usefull tool for me.

Not to forget . . . pictures and schematic!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Weekend Project: converter from RS-232 to fibre optics
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 12:10:36 am »
 :-+
Revision 2 with LED's?
Pwr, Tx, Rx ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 12:38:04 am »
I would think this would be trivial to do with a pair of TOSLINK (digital audio) modules on each end. They are cheap, have logic level inputs/outputs, and can handle at least 6 Mbps.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 01:13:32 am »
:-+
Revision 2 with LED's?
Pwr, Tx, Rx ?

As I mentioned in my first post. Didn't thought of that, doh. Maybe I will do a rev. 2

I would think this would be trivial to do with a pair of TOSLINK (digital audio) modules on each end. They are cheap, have logic level inputs/outputs, and can handle at least 6 Mbps.

Don't understand exactly how your arrangement should look like. But these VL connectors are widely used in the industrial field (fieldbus over fibre, etc,  . . .). No need for TOSLINK. And the TX/RX modules that I use are rated up to 10MBaud and CMOS/TTL compatible.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Weekend Project: converter from RS-232 to fibre optics
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 01:39:08 am »
What parts did you use for fiber connectors?

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 01:54:52 am »
TX module: AVAGO HFBR-1528Z

RX module: AVAGO HFBR-2528Z

Bought them on Ebay. The fibre cabel and plugs are from Siemens. I had them lying around at work. Normaly used with Siemens OBT's, for Profibus over fibre.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf