Author Topic: What are advantages of different DC motor windings?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline DCHumberTopic starter

What are advantages of different DC motor windings?
« on: October 26, 2016, 03:26:38 pm »
For a course project, I must construct a permanent-magnet DC motor out of limited materials.  I have 15 metres of magnet wire, a strip of steel, brass, a 35 mm film container and some other bits and bobs. 

My current design has the film canister on our shaft, and the windings mounted to it.  The strip of steel has the same width as the height of the canister, and we will bend it such that it wraps around the canister, but comes up to cup the windings.  We are going to have 5 windings.  However, we are unsure of what kind of winding connection to actually implement. 

Our goal is to maximize torque. Would we actually find any advantages to one connection over another? 

Offline CM800

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What are advantages of different DC motor windings?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 03:31:32 pm »
For a course project, I must construct a permanent-magnet DC motor out of limited materials.  I have 15 metres of magnet wire, a strip of steel, brass, a 35 mm film container and some other bits and bobs. 

My current design has the film canister on our shaft, and the windings mounted to it.  The strip of steel has the same width as the height of the canister, and we will bend it such that it wraps around the canister, but comes up to cup the windings.  We are going to have 5 windings.  However, we are unsure of what kind of winding connection to actually implement. 

Our goal is to maximize torque. Would we actually find any advantages to one connection over another?

Hey,

It'd be great if you can take a picture of all materials you have next to a ruler so we can see exactly what we are working with to suggest.

Does it specifically say brushed motor or just permanent magnet motor? Could make a really nice and easy 3 phase brushless Permanent Magnet motor.

EDIT:

Also:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:47:54 pm by CM800 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf