Author Topic: What kind of insulation for winding your own transformers/coupled inductors  (Read 1194 times)

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
I have to rewind a transformer, for a vacuum tube oscilloscope. From 120V upto about 550Vrms. Whats some recommended tape or plastic/etc that will last and not melt in a big old hot transformer. They used paper or a cloth type thing, glued up. I can still remember the burnt smell taking it apart, yuk.

I'll have to get all the proper rated magnet wire too, another day tho.

Also for fun I want to try making some small HV SMPS trans/CI. Just power off 12Vdc 1A. How safe is standard PVC tape and ordinary office paper for little low energy flybacks like for a Jaccob's Ladder you see on ebay

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
I would say something like kapton tape.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
I wouldn';t use PVC tape, it'll 'probably' be ok for a while but it's not good with heat.

I'd use a high temperature tape, Kapton or similar as Rerouter says, there are also 'proper' transformer tapes as well as fibreglass tapes.

I wouldn't want anything that could absorb moisture in a high voltage transformer but office paper might be fine if soaked in 'dope' or lacquer to seal it

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor

I wouldn't want anything that could absorb moisture in a high voltage transformer but office paper might be fine if soaked in 'dope' or lacquer to seal it
Old transformer with paper  in would have the paper soaked, then when wound would be placed into a vacuum chamber and impregnated under vacuum. I wouldn't try to replicate that for fun. Stick with the kapton tape
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline lordvader88Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Ok thanks, kapton tape, they use around heater elements too right ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf