Author Topic: What "mains conditioner" actually do?  (Read 3725 times)

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
What "mains conditioner" actually do?
« on: December 16, 2018, 12:40:15 pm »
Hi

I see tales about "mains conditioner" for HiEnd audio?

Is it myth or real impruvement? Is it simple filter or some magic gear?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: What "mains conditioner" actually do?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 01:10:54 pm »
Hi

What research have you done?
What are your conditions/circumstances that make you ask the question?

Indicating that would enable you to ask a better question, thus avoiding the problems illustrated in
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/library-2/good-questions-pique-our-interest-and-dont-waste-our-time-2/

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 01:13:02 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 01:21:36 pm »
frankly, there is no need for anything more than generic, decent voltage regulation and filtering in high end audio power supplies.

Good current capacity and very low (inaudible) ripple.

Speculating here:
Perhaps they are trying to eliminate all pops? (as in blip in power from a power cord being whacked) Since thats the same thing that would cause a PC to reboot, a PC power backup unit and/or solid power cords / good power cord placement would do that. (In my area, the power is very reliable)

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 01:54:13 pm »

I google for it
And answers was so strange  :-//

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 03:07:58 pm »

I google for it

So, nothing of any significance that is worth mentioning.

Do have a look at the reference/link I gave. Until then I can't be bothered to try to help you. Maybe others will; good luck.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 03:35:39 pm »
Hi

In high end audio, mains conditioner means pretty much anything that can extract cash from suckers. Real mains conditioning is something city dwellers don't normally need, but people in rural areas with unstable mains might. Its about keeping the voltage stable. I've seen the mains voltage in some rural locations surge to spectacular levels that can blow the input circuitry of a lot of electronics.

Other mains filtering, such as click and pop filtering, should happen inside the audio equipment. If the equipment can't cope with normal city mains, it isn't really high end.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, daqq, 001, Ysjoelfir

Offline Harvey17

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 07:56:08 pm »

I google for it

So, nothing of any significance that is worth mentioning.

Do have a look at the reference/link I gave. Until then I can't be bothered to try to help you. Maybe others will; good luck.

Gotta love these  - "I can't be bothered to reply, but I still need to tell the world that I can't be bothered to reply by replying"  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: 001, retrolefty, Gary350z

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 11:08:25 pm »
In short, just get a used rackmount UPS, replace the batteries (or use supercaps if you don't actually need power backup for more than a short glitch), and call it done.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 11:28:01 pm »
the so called audio goons basically take some concept that is only applicable to RF or similar and try to extrapolate it to give people the mistaken impression that it applies to audio.

Here's what matters, in my opinion. Low distortion and low noise in an amplifier. Quiet power supply and good amplifier component choice and design.

Adequate bandwidth. Adequate power to control the speakers, which also seems to me to demand a low voltage drop in the speaker wires. basically it means "use thicker wire". Ive always found thicker wire to sound substantially better than really thin wire for sound at any volume.  *The speakers must be connected in phase*.  That means they must work together and not against one another. Observe polarity.

Those are the most important things.

Proper speaker placement is really important. Having a room that has the proper balance of reflective and sound dampening materials is also important. (furniture or carpeting will do this)

I have a decent, if fairly old (20 yrs plus) 50 watt per channel integrated preamp/amp/receiver. Ive had it for most of that time. I got a deal on it because one of the binding posts for speaker output terminals had broken off. An easy repair.

It has exceptionally good sound. Including phono performance, its that old. No Av features at all. A quiet preamp, solid amp, and exceptional FM tuner with awesome capture ratio which translates to quiet FM in my fairly spectrum-crowded area.

With really cheap but exceptionally value bookshelf speakers and a not properly matched subwoofer it sounds really good.

In terms of value per dollar I think I would be hard put to improve much on it without spending a ridiculous amount of money on things that did deliver an audible improvement. Which do exist.

(The speakers could be improved a lot but - to get really substantially better sound I would have to spend several hundred dollars.  I would rather spend that money on something else.

I do have an additional very old, huge (15 inch) speaker I've thought about adding as a subwoofer but its upstairs in the attic and its very heavy. It is a corner design and it dates back to the mono era. Its a historic relic. It still sounds great. If I had two of them I could have my own concert system. Its that efficient. But I don't, so one would do best as a subwoofer.

So much of what we see in the audio world is fluff. People who don't know better are just being conned into it.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 11:41:01 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 02:29:28 am »
Those mains conditioners were useful for computer equipment back when it was expensive and power supplies had poor regulation. There's not much reason to use them anymore though unless you have particularly dirty power. If you have periods of sustained under or overvoltage then a constant voltage transformer is more help than a UPS. For audio it's quite pointless though, audio amplifiers are very good at rejecting supply variation, normally the power supplies in amplifiers is not even regulated because it doesn't have to be.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 02:54:50 am »
For audio it's quite pointless though, audio amplifiers are very good at rejecting supply variation, normally the power supplies in amplifiers is not even regulated because it doesn't have to be.

The problem is, many of these goons, went thru DIY pre-amp or amplifier circuit from a decent design, or even good design, but they sort of sloppily built the power supply part with crappy design and parts, and the most funny part is sometimes they used what those people called "audio grade for golden ears" bulk caps and etc for the bulk caps on the stepped down rectified mains, wishing it will do magic.

At least here locally, the term "dirty electricity" was used oftenly when this kind of problem arise and put the blame on the mains line.  :palm:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:59:02 am by BravoV »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 02:59:46 am »
maybe you can get one and tell the story of what your ears tell you what colors?... someone tried to make a measurement device for it but as usual as most of the rest... a dead end thread (no conclusive finding).... Would this work as an AC probe?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 07:59:30 am »
Hi

One answer to rule them all. It's bullshit, wankery, bollocks, fraud etc. discussion over! If you like you can buy some gold plated wire and mains plugs, but then you would be really stupid. Happens to the best, my sisters father in law has "superior" cables and thinks they make a difference. More fool him, he has the money to waste clearly.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 12:56:34 pm »
why is CVT better then a tapped transformer for long duration?

or did you just mean a UPS without a tapped transformer? Even so arent they always converting so why bother? or do you mean its more harmonically clean?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/cost-of-big-ass-constant-voltage-transformer/

they appear not to be something you want to specify off the cuff or as a 'good measure'. If you absolutely do not give a shit about any of the ridiclous downsides it might be a good solution for really high survivability. I am not even sure its durable on the long term or anything but I am pretty sure it will be a beast if you turn it on just before it needs to be used in a really dirty environment.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:02:45 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 02:14:29 pm »
People, please don't feed the trolls...

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 02:16:37 pm »
People, please don't feed the trolls...

its a reasonable question I was mistifed by them too before I had a firm understanding of filters and stuff. They just seem like a cool accessory thats magical since you don't get some kind of bode or PSRR plot with them. And it just seems cool because you get to plug some high tech shit into your already high tech shit to make it better.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 02:19:37 pm »
In high end audio, mains conditioner means pretty much anything that can extract cash from suckers.

spot on.
like the trend of "surge protection" plugs to pc owners a while back.

probably it's just a few VDR's in a big case.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 02:20:19 pm »
whats a surge protection plug thats snake oil?

keep in mind on some low low low low level of academic interest it probably does something.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 02:26:36 pm »
Coppercone2, stop talking bullshit! you know very well that we are not talking surge protection devices but audio phoolery. If you are that ignorant then shut up, sit down and learn something. If you want to go to extremes you can do what the guy in japan did and pay for a second mains hookup to get the purest of power unpolluted by other things in his house.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2018, 02:33:42 pm »
Coppercone2, stop talking bullshit! you know very well that we are not talking surge protection devices but audio phoolery. If you are that ignorant then shut up, sit down and learn something. If you want to go to extremes you can do what the guy in japan did and pay for a second mains hookup to get the purest of power unpolluted by other things in his house.

no I don't know what you are talking about I don't follow it I assume its a little expensive CVT in a little box that consumes 200W to give you 10 more dB of PSRR on something that already rejects 120dB by default

There is literately no links or specs or measurements or anything concrete in this thread, its just a bunch of people angry at some industry effecting some sub sector of consumer electronics. The opening response is literally some ragelord and you are bringing up my post that is asking a real question about some ghostly reference to a product.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:38:53 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 02:48:50 pm »
if by power we are talking mains then there is nothing that you can do to it that will affect the quality of sound.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 02:55:23 pm »
if by power we are talking mains then there is nothing that you can do to it that will affect the quality of sound.

uhh the transformer has a bode plot, the rectifier does some stuff to RF, then you have some filter caps and then a linear regulator. All those things have different zones of attenuations at frequencies due to their nature and the regulator has a PSRR thats based on DC voltage.

If you put something on mains you can filter out RF frequencies or even low harmonics of mains or you can stabilize the AC level into the unregulated DC supply which will lower the variation of voltage in the regulator so its PSRR will stabilize it even more.

if you look at some app notes they defiantly do specify beastly isolation transformers to act as filters before lab supplies that are further connected to ultra high PSRR regulators.

I never saw something metrological specify a CVT for any reason but it could theoretically work if your power is ultra bad. Audio equipment does not come with a spec and someone could have made something on very clean power that barely works and when you put it in a farm house it will not work well. Like if someone decided to run a power rail off a zener connected directly to the capacitor after a rectifier for the sake of elegance and simplicy or lack of know how and did not use a real regulator.

Or if you do something weird like run it with out the mains transformer because you have a high impedance 48V AC line on hand (filters here, not a cvt), but weird situations come up. Like running to remote lighting some where on a property. The circuit would not expect 400 feet of wire after the external transformer which used to be directly connected to the rectifier inside the chassis.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 03:00:37 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 03:01:46 pm »
You are dreaming. Any decent power supply will provide perfect audio. RF frequencies are inaudible and frankly no one cares for harmonics in the power supply. the best power supply if you are paranoid is a decent bench power supply. SMPS followed by a lineal regulator just in case your delicate ears can hear the 100KHz switching frequency. After that quality is down to the audio amp itself.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 03:05:59 pm »
You are dreaming. Any decent power supply will provide perfect audio. RF frequencies are inaudible and frankly no one cares for harmonics in the power supply. the best power supply if you are paranoid is a decent bench power supply. SMPS followed by a lineal regulator just in case your delicate ears can hear the 100KHz switching frequency. After that quality is down to the audio amp itself.

you can hear RF like CDMA because the low pass filtering effect combined with the RFI rectifiction effect of the amplifiers ends up acting like a envelope detector so your low frequency burst transmissions end up looking like pulse waves in the audio range some times.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 03:07:59 pm »
And you get RF from 50Hz mains..................

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf