Author Topic: What you use soldering iron conical tips for  (Read 13015 times)

Online BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
What you use soldering iron conical tips for
« on: October 29, 2014, 03:28:39 am »
I have been soldering all my life but never understood the value of conical soldering iron tips. Mine was/is of chisel type. I worked SMT down to 0402 and 0.5mm pitch ICs. What do you use conical tips for ?

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What you use soldering iron conical tips for
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 03:56:32 am »
Personally I use 1.2-2.4mm chisel for the majority of my work but for certain rework on fine pitch components and/or on dense layouts a chisel is simply too big, but those cases are rare

Offline calzap

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 04:29:27 am »
I sometimes use them for making holes in plastic sheeting.

Mike in California

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:45:31 am »
I have been soldering all my life but never understood the value of conical soldering iron tips. Mine was/is of chisel type. I worked SMT down to 0402 and 0.5mm pitch ICs. What do you use conical tips for ?
I was the same as you until a few months ago when someone posted a similar topic and found that quite a few people used them.

As luck would have it, a few days later I had to do some fine smd soldering and decided to use some of my un-used, good quality conical tips. I was surprised to find the experience quite rewarding and have essentially gained another tool :)

The following users thanked this post: xavier60

Offline Philbywhizz

• Contributor
    • Philbywhizz
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 05:36:20 am »

A conical tip is the only tip I have, and its the only one I have ever used (so I guess I don't know anything different).

I'm only a 'newbie' and only solder simple parts though. No SMD components, all through-hole.

Offline Tandy

• Frequent Contributor
  • Darren Grant from Tandy, UK.
    • Tandy
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 09:57:53 am »
Conical tip is much finer than a chisel, I feel using a chisel tip is like trying to hammer in a nail with a sledge hammer.
For more info on Tandy try these links Tandy History EEVBlog Thread & Official Tandy Website

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 10:20:38 am »
Conicals tips I use when I need to get into a tight tiny place.  (I have a design that requires a header to be installed, then another board, and both have to be soldered

I've yet to use one, but "hook" or "j tips" I'm told is where it's at.  A tip with about a 45 degree bend in the last bit of the top, lets it almost wrap about a TH componet.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 11:38:29 am »
I have chisel tips from .8mm to 2.4mm.  I have a Hakko conical tip for smd work and can solder 0402 with difficulty, but that is more my eyes than the tip.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 11:45:48 am »
I use chisel only, much better heat transfer due to larger surface contact.
So if I had a conical tip I would probably use it to clean my nails  :-DD

Online ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 11:56:20 am »
Conical tips arent good for anything besides having the tip corrode first and not take a tinning where you need it. Get a chisel of the right size. Got a 0.030" chisel tip on my iron at work and it works way better for tiny smd passives than conicals ever have.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 12:48:54 pm »
Conicals tips I use when I need to get into a tight tiny place.  (I have a design that requires a header to be installed, then another board, and both have to be soldered

I've yet to use one, but "hook" or "j tips" I'm told is where it's at.  A tip with about a 45 degree bend in the last bit of the top, lets it almost wrap about a TH componet.

I am totally converted to the bent tips for all general soldering. They are especially effective for industrial solder cup connectors that draw a lot of heat. You can lay the large flat side of the tip right on the solder cups to get great thermal transfer. You can hook the tip under a wire as you press solder against it to tin. You quickly learn to turn the tip so you can lay the large flat surface against your work when possible.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:51:28 pm by robrenz »

Offline Electric flower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 07:53:30 pm »
I use conical for everything except when dealing with very big components, when i solder with conical, soldering iron feels like an extension of my arm, i don't like chisel, it feels too big and clumsy.
I'm the only one in school who prefers conical.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All play and no work makes Jack a mere toy.

Offline electronic_eel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 09:41:11 pm »
I am totally converted to the bent tips for all general soldering.
[...]

I use the JBC C245-963 too and really like it. With the bent form you can easily work in areas fully packed with components or other obstacles where you'd be in trouble otherwise.

I have some fine conical tips too, but I only use them for special cases where I don't want to touch the neighborhood of the joint. E.g. when soldering single wires onto tightly spaced ic pins or connectors for debugging, dead bug method, fixing a broken flexprint or similar.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 10:02:28 pm »
Conical tips are great for soldering SMD stuff on PCBs without solder resist or any fine soldering.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 11:09:40 pm »
Working with small surface mount devices or even through hole, its usually the radius of the tip that make the difference as the radius determines the smallest step/feature that you can land on but for chisels also determines the contact patch for the two faces.

With a conical tip you can push into a joint and then rotate around the contact point until the tip is pressing against both surfaces to solder, with a chisel you rely more on the radius to bridge the two surfaces as it can't be rotated. The thought experiment/example example is how a 30 degree angle (such as the end of a drawing square) can have both its edges pressed onto a pair of perpendicular faces.

If going for maximum speed you can use the largest radius tip that will fit and rely on the radius to make the contact to the pad while the face of the tip contacts the part. This is where the correctly selected tip is important, and a bent tip keeps the hands in a more comfortable position.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 12:20:40 am »
What do you use cone tips for?

Chucking in the trash bin... :-DD

Actually not even that; my Hakko came with the perfect tip by default (a moderate wedge). :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online BudTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 03:18:40 am »
@Someone - thank you Sir, nice explanation!
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline andrija

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 09:37:45 pm »
I used only conical tips until a few weeks ago when I gave screwdriver tip a try after watching Dave comment on it. I have to say it sucked. I really don't understand why people say conical don't work. I find screwdriver tip to not work nearly as well as conical. I did a lot of SMD work with conical as well as thru hole and hadn't had any special trouble. I do have to say I am not sure how Dave manages to do that painting method, every time I did that it resulted in all pins being shorted; I thought that's how it works, then you have to use solder wick to remove shorts. But his works like magic. I figured that's where screwdriver tip shows its value so I'll give it a try next time I have to do SMD chip, but I think I am going back to conical in the meantime. So I feel it's personal preference. Some people think it's my way or highway, but if they truly sucked they wouldn't be still making them.

Offline victor

• Regular Contributor
  • Boy who writes code and take things apart
    • vitim.us
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 11:11:08 pm »
I started soldering when I was 7. I never used anything better than those stick irons with conical tips, I don't want to beg but I have to say that I'm very good at soldering, I do much better job than some soldering tutorials. But I never used a decent soldering iron.

There's one thing that makes me mad is that the tip always dig a hole in one side and it only works on if find the sweet spot, otherwise you get very ugly solder. I wonder if the quality brands do the same, or this is just a consequence of the crapyness of the irons I use.
your body is limited, but not your mind

Offline kingofkya

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 11:23:04 pm »
The only use i have ever had is useign them on 32awg mod wires.:) a very small one. I generally use a large chisel for almost everything down to 0603 stuff.

There's one thing that makes me mad is that the tip always dig a hole in one side and it only works on if find the sweet spot, otherwise you get very ugly solder. I wonder if the quality brands do the same, or this is just a consequence of the crapyness of the irons I use.

Sounds like a bad/contaminated tip, hit it some flux and/or some thing abrasive I bet all sides start working. I have only ever had that issue on the ones that plug into the wall most temp controlled ones don't do that.(or rather they need to be left on a long time at high heat)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:29:23 pm by kingofkya »

Offline victor

• Regular Contributor
    • vitim.us
What you use soldering iron conical tips for
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 04:11:46 am »
I did some research a found that the flux is abrasive and wear the nickel coating, witch I don't have anymore and the flux eat the copper, and it start to make a convex sape on the tip. Everyone pointed out that this occurs on thin coated tip and iron turned on for a long period.

I had my iron turned on for 5-8 hours continuous probably hundreds of times. I'm not patient to waiting it to heat up so often I leave it on until I finish working on something, even when I take a break to snacks or just using the pc for a while [emoji28] oops.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 05:11:06 pm »
I find a fine conical tip useful for SMD work, particularly tacking down fine pitch packages before drag soldering.

I did some research a found that the flux is abrasive and wear the nickel coating, witch I don't have anymore and the flux eat the copper, and it start to make a convex sape on the tip. Everyone pointed out that this occurs on thin coated tip and iron turned on for a long period.

I had my iron turned on for 5-8 hours continuous probably hundreds of times. I'm not patient to waiting it to heat up so often I leave it on until I finish working on something, even when I take a break to snacks or just using the pc for a while oops.
What were you using for flux?
And were you tinning the iron's tip?

Offline victor

• Regular Contributor
    • vitim.us
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 05:14:55 pm »

What were you using for flux?
And were you tinning the iron's tip?

I just use leaded solder with flux core.
And yes.

Offline farrell

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 05:28:40 pm »
Conical tips get a bad reputation because many people try the really pointy ones that have no thermal mass. If you use one of the conical tips that isn't quite so long, they work GREAT. You can solder an 0402 SMD, then solder a 12awg wire... with the same tip and temp. I like the Hakko T18-B tip.

-Farrell

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 05:44:55 pm »
I just use leaded solder with flux core.
What kind of flux?

Not sure of what you were using, but you don't want to use acid core on electronics. Water soluble that is meant for electronics will corrode if not cleaned off, so isn't really suited for hobbyists IMHO. Best to stick with rosin or no-clean types.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf