Author Topic: Why do we use transfer function in filters? and How to obtain cut-off frequency?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Michael GeorgeTopic starter

• Contributor
I need to know what the equation of cut-off frequency of third order filter is.

I found the transfer function everywhere on the internet:

I don't understand Why we don't simply use the cut-off frequency equation? Why do we have to use the transfer function?

One more question, How can I get the cut-off frequency form the transfer function?

I found the above circuit and its transfer function on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterworth_filter

Thank you very much,

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor

transfer functions are useful because they completely describe the response of a linear system.
roughly stated a sine-wave at the input will be that same sine-wave at the output with possibly a change to the amplitude and phase.

for deriving the cut-off frequency you need to study the definition of cut-off frequency!

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
For a general 3rd order system, there need not be a single, well defined cutoff frequency.

For an intentionally well-designed one, there is a tolerance of passband attenuation (where the tolerance is smaller than the cutoff threshold), a cutoff threshold (usually -3dB), and a stopband (of the required attenuation slope).

Going from transfer function to cutoff frequency is nontrivial, because you must solve a cubic equation for where it intersects the -3dB point (or whatever the threshold is defined as).  There may be one, two or three frequencies where this occurs!

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline bson

• Supporter
One more question, How can I get the cut-off frequency form the transfer function?
Solve for Vo(s)/Vi(s) = -6dB = 0.5

Offline Michael GeorgeTopic starter

• Contributor
Thank you all very much,  :-+

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
A more conventional definition of cut-off is the -3 dB point, where Vout/Vin = 0.707 = SQRT(1/2) and Pout/Pin = 1/2 (for equal impedances).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf