Poll

What is the main cause for an unfinished project?

Not enough time
46 (30.3%)
Not enough money
9 (5.9%)
Got bored with it
61 (40.1%)
Too complicated
13 (8.6%)
Other causes
23 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author Topic: Why unfinished projects?  (Read 10521 times)

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Why unfinished projects?
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 04:35:52 pm »
It's all on me.  I like to finish something when I start it.  Having said that ... a project may stop when I cannot figure out some aspect of it.  A case in point: I wanted a library of system building blocks for my OrCad Spice simulation tool so that I could quickly test an idea without having to do detailed design on every functional block.  I couldn't figure out how OrCad implements Spice linkage to models for a generic filter.  Spice help no help.  No on-line help.  No forum help.  So it just sat there.  And sat there.   >:(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:37:33 pm by basinstreetdesign »
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Online RoGeorgeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 05:15:08 pm »
developed the discipline to overcome the "next shiny object" syndrome

Very interesting, can you give more details about that, please?

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 05:57:14 pm »
developed the discipline to overcome the "next shiny object" syndrome
Very interesting, can you give more details about that, please?

Umm... the short version is that my income dries up if I don't finish projects.  ;D

I also don't let myself start playing with the next cool project until the present one is finished to the extent possible at the time. I will jot down notes, do some basic research so the ideas can be percolating in my head, but none of the hands-on fun stuff. It's just too distracting.

My son once asked me if I could be happy as a Professor at a university. My response: "No, it's not creative enough." Unless you're doing NEW things frequently, the brain starts to atrophy. Sometimes I get angry when a project runs into trouble, but on the other side of the problem I realize that the research I had to do to get there has increased my personal skill set.

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2018, 09:27:31 pm »
Myself :D and it’s been that way for more than a decade.
What happens when you're stuck with two projects you don't care about any more?

That wouldn’t happen. Result driven motivation is natural for me. It’s more about not becoming focussed on too many things, and also being a hobby, not having a hobby budget spread wide enough that budget is a bottleneck. I am definitely a finisher, so it at least has worked for me.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:29:26 pm by @rt »

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2018, 09:41:02 pm »
Looking at the whole thread, hell no. If there’s a clear objective that preferably contained some fair, manageable learning curve, that’s a journey, otherwise that’s just some fairy shit. There was journey if there was a goal maybe, regardless of outcome. Anyway, that would explain not getting something done. It didn’t matter, or goal was unreasonable, that’s why. Like anything else.. going to the gym, maintaining relationships, keeping your vehicle in check, etc.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 03:41:41 am »
All of the above, plus competition with other projects getting started.

I can truly say that a bare majority of my projects do get finished, though some take many years, and some have morphed greatly on the way.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 04:42:30 am »
Unfinished projects? This is my area of expertise!

With me the main factors are:
* External priority interrupt happened. Some urgent time demand (or a series of them) that can take months, and by the time that's done a project that was going well before is now put away, buried, lost interest, etc. This has been a big factor for me in the last 6 months.

* Unexpected difficulty with some detail of the project. Current 'trivial' project as example. I thought I'd just quickly convert an old LCD monitor to a small white-light panel. (Which I do actually need for something.)  Remove LCD glass, hack the power supply and CCFL driver board to just run at power-on, put a sheet of plain glass to replace the LCD. Thought it would take two days max. Turned out the power board has multiple interlocks, and getting it to start reliably without the original CPU/graphics card, was a pain. Traced out the whole circuit, but the ccfl switchmode control IC startup and fault shut-down nuances are a bit hard to understand. So annoying! The project got put aside, and is in danger of being permanently unfinished, due to other chores pushing it down the queue. Trying to make myself re-attack it currently.

* Project dependency trees, getting too deep and complicated. Wedging of any one detail jams up the entire tree. Also spinoff projects do the same.
  For eg:
  My vacuum chamber project (part of a much larger project, that's taking decades.)
  - Need to machine a large diameter aluminum ring, as an adapter on the chamber. (And other future similar parts needed.)
   - So need ability to make it/them myself.
    - Current lathe too small to do it, so buy a bigger lathe. (Became a multi-stage saga, but now achieved.)
     - To set up the big lathe, my 'forge shed' needs to be finished (big swing doors, benches, shelving, etc.)
      - That shed construction is stalled due to a problem I hit with welding large, unusual hinges for the swing doors.
       - Need to be able to MIG weld the stainless steel hinge tubes, without distorting them.
        - For a long time I couldn't figure out how to do that. Now I do have an idea, and recently got a needed part.
          Now actually doing it is getting close to top of queue.
          But there's also _another_ building project in-progress and urgent - an extra storage area 'lean too' - that's
          stalled due to running out of money to buy the wall exterior cladding. Not for much longer I hope.

(That top level project also has a spinoff - wanting to learn how to do color photo/printed anodizing of aluminum control fascia panels. Just because I want it to look cool. Another whole list of awkward.)

* Emotional aversion. A project that you want and need to do, and should be doable, but some component of it really, really gives you the shits. And so you keep putting it off. In my case, couple of examples are:
  - A major writing project. To do with legal matters; prep for a potential legal case. But there are aspects of it that I find very unpleasant to even think about. So it's extremely difficult to force myself to sit down and work on it. I can write voluminously when needed, but not on _this_ one.

- Any technical project that involves dealing with PC OS quirks. In particular MS Windows, and problems in the class of 'there is no way you will ever understand exactly why this shit is happening, and any solution is likely to just stop working for no apparent reason. With all hours of effort to that point potentially wasted. And if you do even hope to understand, it will involve hundreds of hours of Net-hunting-flailing, with no guarantee of any useful result. And anything you do learn will be obsolete in a year. And/or you will have to accept conditions that you find morally completely unacceptable.

I have another whole project tree stalled due to that last one.
 * A project hacking a simple, cheap document scanner to serve as an 'edge scanner', for doing large books.
    That involves some quite fine micro-surgery on the sensor array (chopping the end off, right at the end of the actual sensor.)
   - So I want to take pics of that process, for a writeup. I have good microscopes, but lacked a good microscope camera.
    - Buy a nice hi-res camera (done)
     - It's USB3, and my workhorse PCs are all WinXP (hence no USB3 support.)
      - Repair and option up a big 1 TB Raid array machine, to use as USB3 video server. (done)
       - Needs Win7. But due to learned absolute distrust of MS, I refuse to install standard Win 7 for long term use. (don't even mention Win8/10.)
        - So need an NT-Lite customized version os Win7. Have been meaning to learn how to do that for a while. Buy the NTLite tools. (done)
         - And need a working Win7 machine to run those tools on. Fine, I have plenty of spare PCs. Set one up, install the hated plain Win-7.
          - Get to the 'online authentication' shit. (One of many MS bullshits I flatly refuse to accept/suffer.)
            - Find a means of killing that. Install. Learn how to use it.
             .... and that's where I'm up to with that. Haven't turned the machine on for months. Partly due to other time demands and projects, but also due to emotional aversion. In a sane world, this crap would not be necessary.
          This machine will also be the host for my 3D printer, so that project is in limbo for the same reasons.

* The 'opportunity too good to miss' effect. Where you are going great on some project, then some unrelated opportunity comes up that you simply cannot pass up, but to take it will involve quite a lot of work. So all current projects get pushed down on the stack, while the 'new thing' takes over all your time. For eg recently I was going great on a 'vacuum hold-down hotplate' construction, then had to divert attention to picking up a large 3-phase 415V 30KW UPS from 600Km away. And associated conflicts with the auction seller, who decided they wanted an extra $960 after (due to their oversight) I won it in auction for $1. All sorted now, but that hotplate project... soon to be resumed, I hope.  http://everist.org/NobLog/20180312_hotplate_that_sucks.htm

* Project ideas, that never even get a whiff of starting. Like I have a blank 1U panel in the small instrument rack on my desk, that I want to build some useful things into. I have a list of ideas to include. Nothing all that hard. Just never have time. http://everist.org/NobLog/20160228_bench_rack.htm

* The 'can't find needed data/schematics', and 'totally unexpected disaster' effects. I have a nice HP 1000 minicomputer, that I started a refurbish project on. Got to the point of wanting to test the power supply, before trying a power up with it attached to the system. Turns out the schematics for this late-model unit power supply are not online. Got in contact with one HP antiques archivist who might have it. Jon Johnston (sp?) He was overseas on a climbing expedition. I left it for a while. When I next inquired, found he'd returned, then gone off on another climbing trip, and perished in an accident. Don't know who has his collection.

* The ridiculous 'can't find one stupid little essential part' effect.
I have a HP 5061A atomic clock. Sans the power cord, and the rear panel power connector is an unusual 3 pin round military screw-in thing. Any I find on ebay are too expensive for my budget vs the value of trying the machine. Which is probably well past use-by date on the physics package tube, but I'd like to try it. Because it's a historical piece I don't want to just hack in a standard IEC socket. Also don't want to nastily run it with some improvised kludge. But can't find a genuine matching power connector. So it just sits on the 'dodo' bench.
(That project also needs an accessory for degaussing the physics tube, so that's a second bit of unobtainium.)

* Getting old, and failing concentration due to stress/life issues.
 I have several software projects, that in younger years would have been only mild challenges, and very enjoyable. But I find that now I can't concentrate like I used to, so the necessary learning curves and spending time dedicated to the projects, are much more difficult. Not helped by all the other urgent chores and projects.

* Unproductive time sinks. Eevblog being one of them, but far from the worst. Mainly the state of the world is so 'edge of my seat' at the moment, I can't resist spending a major part of each day online, just keeping up with developments.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:59:31 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 04:59:59 am »
I keep a mains cord with alligator clips around for just such occasions. If you don't want to do that you could remove the original socket without actually modifying anything and just feed a cord through the hole.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 05:21:32 am »
In my case, waiting for components to arrive always ends with starting another project from the TODO list.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2018, 05:25:57 am »
I keep a mains cord with alligator clips around for just such occasions. If you don't want to do that you could remove the original socket without actually modifying anything and just feed a cord through the hole.

I have exactly that same mains cord (only with a double pole switch in-line.) Don't want to use it for fear of a short in the socket, damaging the pins. It's a very rare, cool historical instrument, high sentimental value too. So, no kludges.

I can't remove the original connector without damaging the historical accuracy, since it's riveted in. Could run a cable from inside. But I'd much rather just find the right connector. I'm considering making one - have pins that will fit, can machine a shroud, and just need to find a way to make an insulator insert to hold the pins. Maybe of epoxy? But need to get the pin positions exactly right, and there's a keyway. So really needs to be molded in-place. With some form of release, so don't get epoxy on the original socket & pins.
It's totally not urgent, as I'm busy with other things. Every now and then I look for a suitable connector. It can stay that way till I find one.

Incidentally, to illustrate 'too many projects: pic is a stack of papers that is my 'to do' list.
Generally they are line items, many different chores per page.
Below the yellow post-it tag, is older sheets that are a mix of random stuff to do, only some sorted by topic or project. Some items are crossed off, but most not.
Above the tag, are new sheets that I wrote out recently after finishing the UPS-fetch saga. All sorted by class of item, different projects, etc. Most of those sheets are pretty full, very few items already crossed off. There's _some_ duplication of tasks there with ones on the lower sheets.
Sometimes I think I should just give up, spend the rest of my life bushwalking or something.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2018, 05:27:26 am »
As a hobbyist, in the old days, when only one new project maybe for months or even year, it was done until completely finished.

Now I'm too spoiled with too many "new" stuffs coming. As the rate of incoming new projects either planned or well prepared that made old ones sort of half cooked and sometimes left abandoned.  :palm:

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2018, 05:27:49 am »
You could put wires on the pins and then cover them in heatshrink so they don't short. I've also used hot melt glue to make custom connectors for temporary use.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 06:17:33 am »
* Project dependency trees, getting too deep and complicated. Wedging of any one detail jams up the entire tree. Also spinoff projects do the same.
  For eg:
  My vacuum chamber project (part of a much larger project, that's taking decades.)
  - Need to machine a large diameter aluminum ring, as an adapter on the chamber. (And other future similar parts needed.)
   - So need ability to make it/them myself.
    - Current lathe too small to do it, so buy a bigger lathe. (Became a multi-stage saga, but now achieved.)
     - To set up the big lathe, my 'forge shed' needs to be finished (big swing doors, benches, shelving, etc.)
      - That shed construction is stalled due to a problem I hit with welding large, unusual hinges for the swing doors.
       - Need to be able to MIG weld the stainless steel hinge tubes, without distorting them.
        - For a long time I couldn't figure out how to do that. Now I do have an idea, and recently got a needed part.
          Now actually doing it is getting close to top of queue.
          But there's also _another_ building project in-progress and urgent - an extra storage area 'lean too' - that's
          stalled due to running out of money to buy the wall exterior cladding. Not for much longer I hope.

Sometimes long dependencies chains happen to me, too. I noticed that the length of the chain can be severely shorted, or even completely eliminated if I drop some of the hidden constraints. I call them 'hidden constraints' because sometimes I am not aware those constraints are in effect until the constraints start to severely impact the project.

In the above example, the hidden constraint might be "if I have the skills, then I must do it all by myself, with local resources". To brake the dependency chain, some alternatives will be to pay somebody else to do the large diameter Al ring, or to rent some time on a bigger lathe.

In the second dependency chain, the one with the power cord, the hidden assumption might be "it must be impeccable", as in the work (here the restoration) must be as perfect as possible.

I don't know for others, but for me those two constraints left me with a lot of unfinished projects.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:30:29 am by RoGeorge »

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2018, 08:07:43 am »

Sometimes long dependencies chains happen to me, too. I noticed that the length of the chain can be severely shorted, or even completely eliminated if I drop some of the hidden constraints. I call them 'hidden constraints' because sometimes I am not aware those constraints are in effect until the constraints start to severely impact the project.

In the above example, the hidden constraint might be "if I have the skills, then I must do it all by myself, with local resources". To brake the dependency chain, some alternatives will be to pay somebody else to do the large diameter Al ring, or to rent some time on a bigger lathe.

Sure. In this case I went with buying a bigger lathe, because:
 * I've always wanted one. Size of my small lathe is often a frustrating constraint.
 * There are actually TWO large diameter adapters needed, and it's an experimental rig so highly likely I'll need to modify them as system development proceeds.
 * There are likely to be other large things needed for the system in future. Unknowable.
 * Cost of the whole lathe ($900 + $300 to transport it) is not much above likely cost just to get one such ring made.
 * It's cool. Older than me! A fun restoration project in itself.

But you are right. For instance my wish to learn and set up to do color printed anodizing, just for cool looks of a project, is maybe too much. I may reconsider that. It's in the path atm, since I don't yet urgently need the panels finished. The main obstacle is that my workshop 'kitchen' where the anodizing rig would go, is still stacked up with boxes. Waiting for that storage space...

'Renting time on a lathe' - never heard of such a thing. I can imagine any commercial company would simply refuse, for liability reasons. And I don't know anyone else with a large lathe.

In the second dependency chain, the one with the power cord, the hidden assumption might be "it must be impeccable", as in the work (here the restoration) must be as perfect as possible.
I'm not normally so picky. In this case the high 'antique' value of the gear in original condition, weighs in with no great hurry to proceed, and small chance it may ever be workable. The tube has low hours of use, but they also shelf-age.

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2018, 08:26:43 am »
Unfinished projects? This is my area of expertise!

With me the main factors are:
*etc....

Very well written and postulated. I find all of this in my projects as well, I call it "the circle of life".  One project depends on another which circles back to a previous and finally all boils down to lack of funds...
PEACE===>T

Offline palpurul

• Regular Contributor
  • Hey
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2018, 10:37:20 pm »
In my case there are many reasons just like everyone else. Before I start a project I try to figure out if it's realizable. I browse digikey to look for available and cost effective parts. If it's obvious that I am going to need very exotic parts, I don't do it I just move on. When things look somewhat realizable I start doing it.

The first reason is obviously TIME and COST
I always underestimate the time it takes to solve small, unglamorous problems. I always focus on the main thing that makes the heart of the project and I end up realizing that I actually figured out how to solve the easiest problem about the project. It's amazing to find out sometimes pesty capacitor selection more important than opamp or any active component selection. These little things are sometimes easy to overlook and it takes time to fix and requires design iteration, hence more time and money.

The second reason is that it takes me some time to realize that there is not much point doing it :D. Most of my ideas are rubbish I don't want to accept that it is rubbish at first because it gets me excited and I just want to do it, and after some time excitement fades away, I become honest to myself and accept that it's a rubbish idea. These ideas are like challenges rather that projects, a different and unnecessarily difficult way to do something  |O. The moral of the story is be honest to yourself don't get excited easily.  :palm:

Offline dkonigs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2018, 10:56:47 pm »
I've stopped trying to build things that I can buy. I need to undervalue my time ridiculously to make that an interesting proposition. Of course, doing a project for the sake of it is still viable or when something is simply unaffordable.

When I was getting started, this was a big factor. Nearly everything I could build was something I could also buy, far cheaper, and far better. Then I stumbled upon the one big exception: Mobile robotics!

On one hand, mobile robotics provides a great platform for a seemingly endless list of sub-projects.
On the other hand, this virtually guarantees you'll never finish and eventually get bored with it.

So I said "No more mobile robot projects! I need something I can actually finish!". (And in exchange, I now have a very difficult time actually coming up with project ideas I'm motivated to do.)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2018, 01:04:46 am »
One factor though is you can gain a lot of education and satisfaction by building it yourself. Even if you can readily buy something, you can't say "I built that myself!" about it. If building it won't teach you anything new though that sways things back toward the buy it route.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2018, 08:37:19 am »
Random thought: Unfinished projects might happen because we perceive the world on a logarithmic scale.
(Weber's Law - https://www.britannica.com/science/Webers-law )

How is that?
From the poll, one of the main cause for unfinished projects is "loosing interest". Loosing interest is the same as "not rewarding any more". Reward is proportional with the perceived progress. For the same amount of work (and a steady progress), our logarithmic perception will need more and more work to achieve the same reward. This is not sustainable for long projects. For longer projects, all we can do is put constant work. But constant work (so constant progress with the project) will be perceived as less and less rewarding because of the logarithmic perception. See the chart at 04:34, where for a constant delta x (x=effort=progress) the y become smaller and smaller (y=perceived_progress=rewarding=interesting).

The same mechanism could be used to explain or justify all kind of things, like: why some get bored in marriage, why some become addicted, or even why immortality would be "dead boring".  ^-^

Offline zitt

• Regular Contributor
    • Pinball-Mods.com
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2018, 10:28:17 pm »
Nuff said:

Simply put; I get it working good enough for a prototype.
There has to be a light at the end of the tunnel for me to get it to 100%. Products that end up at Pinball-Mods.com/oscom are a good example of light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2018, 11:39:51 pm »
I have quite a few "delayed finish" projects. I'll start something, work on it for a while and then either get bored, hit a point where I get stuck, or get distracted by some other project. Many times I eventually get back around to it, pull out a project I shelved several years earlier and finish it up. The funny part is often something I was stuck on turns out to be very easy the next time I have a go.

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2018, 02:06:45 am »
$$$$$$$$$

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2018, 02:39:49 pm »
Does that curve map to your experience though? It doesn’t for me.
I don’t often enjoy starting something, most enjoy seeing things coming together and beginning to work (software or hardware),
and begin to lose interest rapidly once whatever the objective was in the first place is actually happening.

Offline Neukyhm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2018, 02:56:08 pm »
Why unfinished projects?

Well it's not my fault that the things I make tend to explode when turning them on  :-//

Offline Teledog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2018, 05:03:54 am »
Usually start projects assuming that I have all the parts on hand ..then finding out..not!
If it's imperative that it's done ASAP, then it's Digi-Key, if not, then the 1-3 month fleabay wait.
Bag the parts in a zip-lock bag along with all the documentation & put it in the TODO/archive tote bin..along side its brethren

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf