Author Topic: why use curly tracks  (Read 4999 times)

Offline bug13Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
why use curly tracks
« on: November 24, 2017, 12:05:18 am »
Hi guys

I come across this today, this is a PCB in a lithium battery for a cordless power tool (this: http://www.ryobi.co.nz/power-tools/products/list/family/brushless)

From my quick google search, I can understand that it maybe used to reduce reflection. But I don't understand these curly tracks are required in a lithium battery pack. I mean they don't do high frequency (in GHz range) in these battery right? So why did the design do that?

Zhuhua Wu
A guy who creates stories to tell machines to do stuff.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
Re: why use curly tracks
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 12:22:18 am »
In this case I don't think there is any particular electrical reason for the curly tracks it's just that the pcb designer prefered to route the board like that, it's probably more to do with aesthetics. A lot of PCB design packages allow you to switch off 45 degree routing and use various curved traces.

The following users thanked this post: bug13

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 02:34:34 am »
Hi,
This layout looks 'old school', it may have been done without a CAD system. You can make the artwork with paper tapes and precut pads. This was common 30 years ago, but rare today.

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 02:38:49 am »
Not hard to do, may be easier in some than other EDA packages.  Most it's just tedious (e.g., Altium can route with arc segments, but they're harder to adjust).

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 02:40:35 am »
I like how the layout looks. There are some minor advantages to the fabrication process due to etch rates/bias being very slightly different at sharp corners, so things are more uniform if there are no sharp corners.

Notice how there are nice teardrops at most of the pads, which decrease the chance of open circuits if the drill alignment is bad.

It's my understanding (I have no first hand experience) that sharp corners can cause the conductors to be torn in flexible PCBs.

Online floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 03:03:29 am »
You get fewer acid-traps I think and at high frequencies reflections are less with curved traces. A 90 degree elbow is too abrupt.

In the very old PCB layout days, it was easier to curve the tape instead of cut'in splice to do a right-angle turn. So old PCBs from the 70-80's were curved traces, then CAD came about and made 90 degree elbows as it was easier to draw.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 03:26:27 am »
Looks plain retarded.  :box:
45's and curves on the same traces ? ?  :wtf: :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Someone, TomS_

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 03:33:40 am »
I like how the layout looks. There are some minor advantages to the fabrication process due to etch rates/bias being very slightly different at sharp corners, so things are more uniform if there are no sharp corners.

Notice how there are nice teardrops at most of the pads, which decrease the chance of open circuits if the drill alignment is bad.
Agree, sharp corners and points do affect etching reliability the teardrops help there too by eliminating internal corners where pads meet traces.

Along with impedance/differential matching reflections etc, curves also become important for shaping voltage fields when you get into "high" voltage designs.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 07:36:20 am »
I'd say that in a lot of cases while there's no reason to use curly traces, there's no reason NOT to use curly traces. If the aesthetics please the designer there's no reason why to avoid them.

Also, the electrons don't shoot out when going too fast and encountering an edge  ;)
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 07:56:43 am »
Also, the electrons don't shoot out when going too fast and encountering an edge  ;)

At >= 1GHz frequencies waves of electrons may bounce back, thou charger is not the case. Particular board looks to me as "work in progress" where someone did some corner straightening, but ran out of time  :D Other option - engineers changed. Designer of last board revision have other style (visual preferences) than one who created it :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:00:39 am by ogden »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 08:56:10 am »
You get fewer acid-traps I think and at high frequencies reflections are less with curved traces. A 90 degree elbow is too abrupt.

In the very old PCB layout days, it was easier to curve the tape instead of cut'in splice to do a right-angle turn. So old PCBs from the 70-80's were curved traces, then CAD came about and made 90 degree elbows as it was easier to draw.
There's some fairly high frequency stuff that does fine with 90 degree corners. It's a bit of a myth that this would be an issue, unless you're talking about very high microwave frequencties.

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 09:08:26 am »
They could had cleaned it up a bit  :P i am a bit of clean freak with flux residues.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 10:10:26 am »
Curved tracks can also be more space efficient. Angled corners and zig-zags take up more space than curves when you have a bunch of parallel tracks and space is tight. It certainly takes less space to curve a track around a via.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 10:34:31 am »
There is a topological router called TopoR that routes like that...

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 11:27:00 am »
Looks plain retarded.  :box:
45's and curves on the same traces ? ?  :wtf: :scared:

It does look odd.  I'm wondering if perhaps more than one person worked on this, and one of them couldn't be bothered to radius all the bends.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 03:30:53 pm »
There's some fairly high frequency stuff that does fine with 90 degree corners. It's a bit of a myth that this would be an issue, unless you're talking about very high microwave frequencties.

Depends on what you consider "very high microwave frequency" and how wide are tracks as well. Usually at 1GHz effect is barely measurable, at 5GHz (which is not that high microwave freq at all) and up you shall pay attention on what you are doing. Better just run straight and downconvert your signal to lower frequencies ASAP before corner :D

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 04:13:43 pm »
Depends on what you consider "very high microwave frequency" and how wide are tracks as well. Usually at 1GHz effect is barely measurable, at 5GHz (which is not that high microwave freq at all) and up you shall pay attention on what you are doing. Better just run straight and downconvert your signal to lower frequencies ASAP before corner :D
Not a very high microwave frequency, but a very high frequency, or a microwave frequency. The rest has been answered by Dave and others many times over.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/eda/no-!-you-don't-need-to-worry-about-90-degrees-corner-at-pcb-trace/

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 05:21:46 pm »
Not hard to do, may be easier in some than other EDA packages.  Most it's just tedious (e.g., Altium can route with arc segments, but they're harder to adjust).
I can imagine it is done to achieve a higher clearance and/or higher density compared to 45 degree routing.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 05:32:04 pm »
It looks totally arbitrary to me. Perhaps a new designer recently discovered the corner radius tool and thought it looked cool.

Short and misplld from my mobile......

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 05:33:34 pm »
I wouldn't worry about 90 degree bends either, you can always put a chamfer on the corner to correct the capacitance but it's unlikely I will do any PCB design at 10s of GHz. It's funny, a long time back I read a report from some "EMC consulant" who was advising somebody beacause a logic PCB with a not very fast microprocessor was failing emissions at a few hundred MHz, he said you had to chamfer the 90 degree bends to fix the problem. It was odd because there were no 90 degree bends and he had failed to notice the rather long slots in the grounplane. I think he got paid something like £500/day for that. Also seem somebody go to a great deal of trouble to route an RS485 pair as an HF 120 ohm balanced pair, some people just havn't got a clue. I once routed a Gige ethernet flexi cable with lots of serpentine wiggles and I think I got the mismatch down to 20ps, a complete and utter waste of time but I was bored and it was fun. I suppose curly tracks have their place and they could have been used to get more clearance.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:35:19 pm by chris_leyson »

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 06:30:27 pm »
Looks kind of nastalgic :)
Gone for good

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 02:10:47 am »
2N3055 mentioned TopoR

Here is a sample of TopoR output generated yesterday.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 09:58:05 am »
2N3055 mentioned TopoR

Yep, that is it... TopoR routes surprisingly good, and uses space very efficiently... Looks wierd but it works... Electrons don't mind ..

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2017, 04:44:35 pm »
I rather like that!

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2017, 07:20:16 pm »
2N3055 mentioned TopoR

Yep, that is it... TopoR routes surprisingly good, and uses space very efficiently... Looks wierd but it works... Electrons don't mind ..
I like the curves, but I tend to increase the spacing so that the ground fill can pour between all the tracks. I expect the router has an option to do this. I should try it out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf