Author Topic: Wire glue - SMD?  (Read 1064 times)

Offline kalelTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Wire glue - SMD?
« on: October 17, 2017, 12:54:41 pm »
I just saw this interesting video:

In which wire glue (it seems the black version with graphite or whatever component is used) was used to get some SMD LEDs to light up, which would have probably otherwise been difficult to solder. Epoxy is added later to make things stronger.

Has anyone tested this or a similar method of gluing SMD components or at least LEDs?

In very small quantities, silver based glue is available cheaply from China which probably conducts better than wire glue. I'm not sure how much resistance is added when using glue this way.

In the video, LEDs are used, and they can work with high resistances/low currents, so it might not work for other types of circuits if too much resistance is added.

I am of course not discussing any professional use or anything that needs durability, just interested in any experiments and their results.

Online Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
Re: Wire glue - SMD?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:14:58 pm »
I can see wire glue being useful for making a custom touch panel. Grab a piece of plastic and draw a number of funky shaped touch buttons on its back side. ^-^
Definitely cheaper than making a PCB for one-off projects.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf