Author Topic: Wire splice for awg 28 and smaller wires  (Read 16297 times)

Offline fabiodlTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Wire splice for awg 28 and smaller wires
« on: November 23, 2014, 05:13:53 pm »
I would like to know if there exist anything to connect three small wires (awg 28 and smaller) in a "T" joint. I wonder if  contacts which can be crimped in three different points or similar things exist.
I have a very small place and things like this http://www.adafruit.com/product/1495
are way too big.
I currently solder the wires together, but I wonder if there is a more robust solution

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Wire splice for awg 28 and smaller wires
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 11:40:06 pm »
If those connectors are too large, I would stick with soldering.  I use them for telephone wiring and they work great without being too large.  Do they have to be in a 'T' shape?  You can do 2 on 1 side and 1 on the other and use a Westinghouse splice and cover with heat shrink tubing.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 02:52:12 am »
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:03:58 am »

Offline richcj10

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 04:13:54 am »
I am a EE on a racing team. When "T" conections are needed, striping the wire and soldering is the best with a little piece of heat shrink.   

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:28:24 am »
can you not simply use something like these?:

http://www.amazonsupply.com/wire-crimp-connectors-blue-yellow/dp/B002T1FLPM

... on 28AWG? Are you kidding?

It was an idea. And holy hell! What do you know!? something like this idea that should work!?:

http://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/321198/A09010-ND/255782

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:34:50 am »

It was an idea. And holy hell! What do you know!? something like this idea that should work!?:

Sure, a purpose made crimp with a specific tool will work fine. A generic insulated one, not so much.

And hey, they're only 50 cents a pop with a $700 tool!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:36:44 am by Monkeh »

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:22:25 am »

Sure, a purpose made crimp with a specific tool will work fine. A generic insulated one, not so much.

And hey, they're only 50 cents a pop with a $700 tool!

Are you beyond kidding me now? any $20 pair of pliers will be capable of crimping them. Of course the manufacturer is going to recommend the fucking $700 tool, because a marketing snob isn't going to know that you can use a generic tool for that.

And the non-insulated thing? heard of this thing called heatshrink? Use your fucking head.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 01:53:18 pm »
Are you beyond kidding me now? any $20 pair of pliers will be capable of crimping them. Of course the manufacturer is going to recommend the fucking $700 tool, because a marketing snob isn't going to know that you can use a generic tool for that.

I don't think bodging it with a pair of pliers is quite the "more robust solution" the OP was asking for.

And the non-insulated thing? heard of this thing called heatshrink? Use your fucking head.

That wasn't remotely my point, actually, the substantial difference in tooling was.

Are you going to continue spewing profanities and being offensive, or are you going to use your head?

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 03:19:49 pm »
I don't think bodging it with a pair of pliers is quite the "more robust solution" the OP was asking for.

Well I see you spewing forth a plethora of options, so I yield to your insurmountable level of knowledge on this problem. Silly peasant me trying to offer an idea.

(I don't see how using a decent set of pliers is "bodgeing" btw)

That wasn't remotely my point, actually, the substantial difference in tooling was.

Are you going to continue spewing profanities and being offensive, or are you going to use your head?

I will spew all the fucking profanities I want, it's a free world. I fail to see how I have been offensive. All I have been doing is trying to offer some kind of idea to the OPs post (which I also apologise, because we are hi-jacking this thread), which you have just decided to tear apart for no good reason as far as I can tell. To me, the most robust solution here would be splicing and soldering the cables together, which the OP is trying to avoid.

So Monkeh, I would put this forth to you: either stop being a negative nelly, and either a) contribute something helpful (like a possible solution!) for the OP, or just b) leave. Quite easy.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 03:36:35 pm »

Well I see you spewing forth a plethora of options, so I yield to your insurmountable level of knowledge on this problem. Silly peasant me trying to offer an idea.

Far be it from me to say something when I see what I consider a bad idea being suggested. Obviously I should just leave well alone!

And if you can't see how using a pair of pliers instead of an appropriate crimping jaw is bodging, well..

All I have been doing is trying to offer some kind of idea to the OPs post (which I also apologise, because we are hi-jacking this thread), which you have just decided to tear apart for no good reason as far as I can tell.

The good reason is that it's a bad idea to start throwing random inappropriate tools at the problem!

To me, the most robust solution here would be splicing and soldering the cables together, which the OP is trying to avoid.

I agree. Solder with appropriate strain relief of the conductors is the best way if there's no room for a suitable connector.

So Monkeh, I would put this forth to you: either stop being a negative nelly, and either a) contribute something helpful (like a possible solution!) for the OP, or just b) leave. Quite easy.

I suppose giving my opinion on proposed options is not helpful in your eyes. If I had an off-the-shelf ultra-compact affordable and robust solution, I would propose it. Seeing as I don't, I am trying to spare the OP the grief down the road of a bad 'crimp' done by a pair of pliers!

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 04:25:41 pm »
I will spew all the fucking profanities I want, it's a free world.

Then you'll have to live with the occasional criticism and dry remark, eh? It's a free world for other people too.

Isn't it dangerous to have such thin skin in Australia?
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline fabiodlTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 12:00:12 pm »
Thank you to all the posters. I will try to get a couple of these connectors and see what can be done with normal tools and possibly a little bit of solder. I should get something more robust to vibrations and cable bending than solder alone

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 12:17:24 pm »

Because it gives no control over crimp pressure or depth, and so you have no idea if the crimp is within design limits for a long-term reliable connection.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 12:37:23 pm »

I will spew all the fucking profanities I want, it's a free world. I fail to see how I have been offensive.

Actually you won't! - you've been warned.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 06:53:28 pm »

I will spew all the fucking profanities I want, it's a free world. I fail to see how I have been offensive.

On second thoughts, maybe we should play it your way, tell you what, just because I can, according to your logic I too should not have to care who I hurt so I've banned you for a month. Because it's a free world like you say and I'm annoyed at your attitude and offensive or not I've decided to stop believing in free speech and I'm using my powers to shut you up for a month.

Maybe they were wrong, maybe being a moderator can actually be fun  >:D, after all it's a free world, I too can do as I damn well please according to your logic so for the sake of argument we will do it your way....

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 08:30:56 pm »
You sound sane, logical, measured, and not at all foaming at the mouth. Must be the giant red text - that always does it...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:43:54 pm by c4757p »
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline amiq

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 10:06:32 pm »

On second thoughts, maybe we should play it your way, tell you what, just because I can, according to your logic I too should not have to care who I hurt so I've banned you for a month. Because it's a free world like you say and I'm annoyed at your attitude and offensive or not I've decided to stop believing in free speech and I'm using my powers to shut you up for a month.

Maybe they were wrong, maybe being a moderator can actually be fun  >:D, after all it's a free world, I too can do as I damn well please according to your logic so for the sake of argument we will do it your way....

Good call.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf