Author Topic: Yet another resistance decade box  (Read 102021 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Yet another resistance decade box
« Reply #350 on: August 24, 2016, 10:09:51 pm »
Something like "DIY Resistance Decade Box using SMD resistors - List of sources - $xx to $xx"
Not a bad idea. That way I could keep the first post updated with the most relevant information.
Should I post in the for sale section?

That sounds good. Then, link it to this thread for details. It be good if PeterZ could add a link from the original post to the new thread, too.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Zkronk

« Reply #351 on: August 25, 2016, 10:50:09 am »
I have to show my resistance decade box as well.
3D printed enclosure, it's printed in just one piece and got somewhat of a press fit for the digits in the front.
I think it turned out so good that I have to order a couple of more kits  ::)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #352 on: August 25, 2016, 06:07:49 pm »
Unibody construction. That's pretty slick, Zkronk.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #353 on: August 26, 2016, 04:38:14 am »
I guess i bought the wrong switch

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #354 on: August 26, 2016, 05:44:14 am »
We can now project a new model for Capacitor using BCD switch  and C, 2C, 4C, 8 C sets

Offline anfang

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #355 on: August 28, 2016, 09:45:50 pm »
Yes they are the same switch.

As I mentioned earlier, I bought both and only the pcb differs.

Hi Fortran, could you please post the scans of the PCBs of the BCD variant?

Offline Fortran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #356 on: August 29, 2016, 04:31:40 am »
Sure :)

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #357 on: August 29, 2016, 05:12:42 pm »
Fortran, great work on these kits! I just sent you money for 2 x 1% kits.

Thanks for making these available for such a great price!

The following users thanked this post: ebclr

Offline nikifena

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #358 on: August 31, 2016, 05:08:34 pm »
Hi Guys. Thanks to Fortran I started my decade box too. I ordered the pcbs and resistor values from 1Ohm to 100k from Fortran. Also I ordered (still waiting) 1Meg 1% 25ppm from TME, 10Meg 5% and 100Meg 5% to increase the maximum resistance of the decade box.
The last two will be useful for checking the maximum supported resistance of a DMM.

Also I finished my 3D project for the enclosure. I will make it from 1mm sheet metal.

Added two 4mm banana plugs with 19mm distance between them.

Cheers, Niki

Offline LeonV

• Contributor
« Reply #359 on: September 02, 2016, 08:58:39 am »
Finally got my decade switches today.. And i mentioned to the seller he should sell the end caps.
But instead he gave me 60 end caps.

The boards fit like a glove in the switches i bought too. Looking forward to spending time soldering them!
Damn forum is making me procrastinate from work!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #360 on: September 02, 2016, 06:08:26 pm »
60 end caps? ???

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
« Reply #361 on: September 03, 2016, 01:49:13 am »
Finally got my decade switches today.. And i mentioned to the seller he should sell the end caps.
But instead he gave me 60 end caps.

The boards fit like a glove in the switches i bought too. Looking forward to spending time soldering them!

Who is that seller ?    I ordered from an eBay seller a black set and it shipped with caps.   Then I ordered from the same seller two more sets, white and grey and they shipped without caps.  I think this guys have no clue about the use of what they are selling.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 01:51:13 am by Back2Volts »

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #362 on: September 03, 2016, 03:27:27 pm »
@Fortran :
I received the boards send with excellent packaging and labels.

I  have done the first set.  Due to the quality of the boards, it was a very pleasant soldering exercise.
I am now waiting for the switches that I ordered here
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/301726653090?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

By the same time I learned than Aland  existed, which I had never heard of before. So thanks for everything.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #363 on: September 03, 2016, 05:21:45 pm »
I ordered from an eBay seller a black set and it shipped with caps.   Then I ordered from the same seller two more sets, white and grey and they shipped without caps.  I think this guys have no clue about the use of what they are selling.

That's not uncommon with sellers on eBay, AliExpress, etc. when it comes to tech products. Don't expect much. They're just selling whatever they can. Look at what else they have for sale. Many sell underwear, cosmetics and dresses in the same online store as switches, resistors and microcontrollers.

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
« Reply #364 on: September 03, 2016, 10:22:27 pm »
I am almost done with the mechanical side of my first resistor set.   I have used the smallest plastic box I could find to fit the parts in.   It is 25 x 35 x 60 mm.   Using low profile 4mm jacks (10mm back end) at 19mm separation.  Micro jacks for breadboard use.  The micro jacks are not press fit yet into the plastic.   The switch set came without caps.  I cut the square window by drilling the corners and using a hand micro saw and some final filing.   

I have not soldered anything yet.  That will be in a few days after I receive and destroy a cheap learning kit.

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
« Reply #365 on: September 03, 2016, 10:37:29 pm »
@Fortran :
I received the boards send with excellent packaging and labels.

I  have done the first set.  Due to the quality of the boards, it was a very pleasant soldering exercise.
I am now waiting for the switches that I ordered here
http://www.ebay.fr/itm/301726653090?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

By the same time I learned than Aland  existed, which I had never heard of before. So thanks for everything.

Excerpt from http://www.visitfinland.com/article/aland-a-special-piece-of-finland/

The Åland archipelago consists of more than 6 500 islands – most are rocky islets, but more than 60 are inhabited. There are around 25 000 residents on the Åland islands, who make their living primarily from tourism, maritime occupations and banking.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 02:43:27 am by Back2Volts »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #366 on: September 04, 2016, 12:57:10 am »
I have to say, I prefer with the 4mm binding posts over all others because when it comes down to it practicality is much more important than aesthetics. The boxes with recessed shrouded sockets? They are taking up the same space but hidden inside the case. There is also absolutely no reason whatsoever to have stupid shrouded health & safety sockets on a tiny resistor box that will actually go up in smoke if you ever did put a >hundred volts onto it!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #367 on: September 04, 2016, 05:10:10 am »
Micro jacks for breadboard use.  The micro jacks are not press fit yet into the plastic.

Hey, that's pretty neat.

I cut the square window by drilling the corners and using a hand micro saw and some final filing.

Nicely done.

I have not soldered anything yet.  That will be in a few days after I receive and destroy a cheap learning kit.

I'm sure you'll do just fine based on the level of detail you've put into the enclosure.

Offline Fortran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #368 on: September 04, 2016, 07:28:54 am »
The boxes with recessed shrouded sockets? They are taking up the same space but hidden inside the case. There is also absolutely no reason whatsoever to have stupid shrouded health & safety sockets on a tiny resistor box that will actually go up in smoke if you ever did put a >hundred volts onto it!

The shrouded sockets allows you to use multimeter probes.
Great when you just want to pull something up or down.
They are also nice on psu's when you want to power a part of a circuit, test led's or electromechanical stuff.

If you put a few hundred volts into it, you will see smoke no matter what socket you are using.

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
« Reply #369 on: September 04, 2016, 01:59:44 pm »
The boxes with recessed shrouded sockets? They are taking up the same space but hidden inside the case. There is also absolutely no reason whatsoever to have stupid shrouded health & safety sockets on a tiny resistor box that will actually go up in smoke if you ever did put a >hundred volts onto it!

The shrouded sockets allows you to use multimeter probes.
Great when you just want to pull something up or down.
They are also nice on psu's when you want to power a part of a circuit, test led's or electromechanical stuff.

If you put a few hundred volts into it, you will see smoke no matter what socket you are using.

There is no doubt that shrouded sockets give additional flexibility, but I wonder how many people with an extra pair of shrouded test leads would not have shorter plain banana leads with mini-clips or the like which probably would be more manageable in a testing environment where you would use these resistor sets.   Obviously it is a matter of preference, and the fact that people puts them in these sets is an indication they think it is important.   

I have to say they do look great!

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
« Reply #370 on: September 04, 2016, 02:07:03 pm »

Also I finished my 3D project for the enclosure. I will make it from 1mm sheet metal.

Cheers, Niki

That model looks very nice.   What kind of tooling you have to build that box from scratch ?   Seems like a lot of work.   Do you have access to a CNC ?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #371 on: September 05, 2016, 07:34:49 am »
There is no doubt that shrouded sockets give additional flexibility, but I wonder how many people with an extra pair of shrouded test leads would not have shorter plain banana leads with mini-clips or the like which probably would be more manageable in a testing environment where you would use these resistor sets.   

Retractable shrouds for the win! :-+

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #372 on: September 05, 2016, 08:37:02 am »
I'm using in mine a XT60 connector is really better that then average banana plug, very low resistance and good mechanical fit

Offline mrjoda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #373 on: September 15, 2016, 05:21:54 pm »
i just finished my kit. Put new pcb's into switch was quite hard, but it is very solid  :-+

i did some measurements on my 34401A, cable Parrot Invents PCM W3, unfortunately, only 2 wire because i have only one pair of cables. So...

now will came the hard part - find the right BOX ! I have some candidates

for example http://www.ebay.com/itm/380867568516?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:43:43 pm by mrjoda »

Offline anfang

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #374 on: September 17, 2016, 10:26:16 pm »
How did you remove the original PCB from the housing?

I tried pulling them but they seem stuck. Someone in the thread said the PCBs are kept in places with melted plastic. |O I do not see any melted part in the one I have...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf