Author Topic: Is it possible to create a NTPH pad with a solder resist clearance?  (Read 6305 times)

Offline DiBoscoTopic starter

Folks,

I've been asked to ensure there is no solder resist round a non plated through hole (I'm not convinced this is necessary, but you gotta do what you gotta do - or at least what the boss says).

I can't see a way of doing this. I can't even draw a void around a pad on the solder resist layer as far as I can tell.

Anyone know of a way to achieve this please?

Many thanks! :)

Offline DiBoscoTopic starter

Re: Is it possible to create a NTPH pad with a solder resist clearance?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:37:22 am »
Looks like you have to create a padstack that uses pins with different attributes on the resist layers and use that to create a new part. 

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:43:17 pm »
I can't even draw a void around a pad on the solder resist layer as far as I can tell.

The guard gap setting of a pad defines the gap to the resist.  I think the default is 5mil.  0 = no gap.  "not present" = tented/covered pad.

For a non-plated hole, will a padstack with 'none' selected for every layer work?

Offline electrolust

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:13:07 am »
Talk about timing.

I just came across this error dialog in the circular pad creation dialog:

If you are trying to create a hole that is 'only a hole' with no copper, you can place a pad, edit it, and set it to be on the Drill Layer.

So if you do that, maybe the guard gap setting will be honored and you end up with your NPTH with resist expansion.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf