Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Repair / Re: Fluke 87 IV - repair log
« Last post by saturation on Today at 07:03:37 AM »
... or use NiMH AA;AAA LSD cells as required, they rarely leak.  9V rarely leak too, but with increasing poor manufacturing by made in China you never know.  LSD cannot be made too poorly else the recharging and self discharging qualities would disappear.  A good charger would recognize the bad battery and reject it before it went too far bad.

Only 9V ruptures I've seen are occasional reports on the net.  Typically its pictures a failure of the 9v subcells to vent discharge byproduct gasses gently, leading to a subcell rupture, then a rupture of the 9v jacket.  If the subcells leaked without rapid gas discharge it does so into the outer jacket and contains it from contaminating your powered device.
« Last post by frenky on Today at 07:03:07 AM »
@Phil:
I was really happy to see that pcb is completely clean and that contact corrosion did not affect it.

@Bushougoma:

From what I have read online model 87 IV is completely different from other 87-? models. "87 IV" was later re-branded into Fluke 187.
87IV does have logging capability and also IR for safe serial communication with PC.

Super cap is Panasonic GC5.5V0.10F:

Full resolution:
https://i.imgur.com/BrqZR7f.jpg
Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff / Is QSKL/OSKL a manufacturer?
« Last post by analogo on Today at 07:02:31 AM »
There are plenty of cheap converters around labelled QSKL (or is it OSKL). Is it the name of the manufacturer?

Other businesses are selling them as their own all over the world, for example this USB step up converter from DROK at <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C93Z8JY> but also plenty of smaller shops on Aliexpress or eBay.

In other cases, for example Adafruits' small boards, those sellers would sell clones without the name. Why don't they do that with QSKL?
Suggestions / Re: Magnetic phone cable
« Last post by eugenenine on Today at 07:01:58 AM »

It works just like Apple's MagSafe system.

So it will catch fire too?
I don't think its a case of downloading a "library" more of individual library parts/symbol/component.
They are relatively new on the scene and my experience of using their ecad wizard is that although the part creation was good, there are several problems I encountered with the symbols and components. Certainly requiring additional work by me after importing into my CAD package.
Tried it on an MSOX3000:
 - it automatically shows the cursors when enabling the measurements
 - It sets the measuring point somewhere in the middle of the screen
 - It does show the correct min and max statistics only if you scroll around in the waveform (see above)

Picture:

« Last post by saturation on Today at 06:57:47 AM »
... or use NiMH AA;AAA LSD cells as required, they rarely leak.  9V rarely leak too, but with increasing poor manufacturing by made in China you never know.  LSD cannot be made too poorly else the recharging and self discharging qualities would disappear.  A good charger would recognize the bad battery and reject it before it went too far bad.

Only 9V ruptures I've seen are occasional reports on the net.  Typically its a failure of 9v subcells to vent gently discharge byproduct gasses leading to a cell rupture then a secondary rupture of the 9v jacket.

General Chat / Anyone willing to donate surplus parts?
« Last post by MrOmnos on Today at 06:53:54 AM »
Hi! I need few IGBTs. Fairchild 60n65 something with similar rating will do provided that the turn off delay is low around 100ns. It is a fairly common igbt but I can not find one in my country. I am pretty sure some of you have extra laying around in your labs which you aare never going to use probably.  :P If you have then you can mail it to me. I would pay you for the shipping but I can not. But I can send you souvenir from my country if you would like me to.

Sorry to be this shameless.
General Chat / Re: Show us Your Wall Wart Pile(s)
« Last post by james_s on Today at 06:51:41 AM »
I have an even bigger pile than that, and yet I never seem to have quite the one I need.
General Chat / Re: Macbook for Electronics Engineers
« Last post by kaz911 on Today at 06:49:23 AM »
MacBooks are great for EE's. It can be used to teach you how to solder and how not to build computers (at least the recent 4-5 years of MBP's)

Get a ThinkPad..

I use both MBP and ThinkPads daily. Working on VM's are a PITA especially with graphics software unless you just boot it directly into windows.

My old 17" MBP has been a workhorse with no issues. My 2 MBP Retina's have been nightmares (One sold - one still here)

Apple service have been nice though and repaired everything that has gone wrong so now my remaining MBP Retina - only has ONE or two original parts left - the bottom part of the casing and maybe the speakers. EVERYTHING else has been replaced. 

First battery expanded. Since that is glued in - Apple changed top alu, keyboard & mousepad. They also replaced Main board since it looked like it had some damage from the battery expansion.

Then repaired machine comes home. I plug it in - and after about 15 minutes it blows the power supply - just before christmas holidays.... Machine still worked on another power supply - but every time it went into screen sleep mode - the machine just shut down - not as in sleep shutdown but just like complete power off - but with no warnings and no post boot warnings. Off again to Apple - and this time it seems like the Screen had an issue. So again new MB AND brand new screen - AND replacement PSU. Now only SD card reader is slightly iffy - but I do not want to waste another WEEK waiting for "Genius" bar appointment + 1 hour travel + 0.5-1 hour in store wait time (*2 for collection as well) - and the risk something else goes wrong when they try to repair it.

Staff in the Genius Bar was mostly nice (2 of 3 wore good - one was bad and tried to teach me how USB works....)- but they know absolutely nothing about how computers work. They know how to plug in the test sticks and run tests and ask some questions from a script.

But the big plus point was - all the above work was done POST warranty - so Apple took battery expansion seriously - and "sponsored" the repair. But I think if I had been in NY and given the computer to Louis Rossmann - :) it would probably have worked better and wasted less of my time.

ThinkPad P70 - Street price 2/3's of the MBP price incl. 3 year onsite warranty. Had an issue with hard drive. 18 hours later the tech was there with a new SSD harddrive. Performed a swap - asked if I wanted him to try move any salvageable data - and I declined - then gave me a USB stick with Win 10 latest build boot media. Great and fast service. Apart from Win10 being a PITA :) you can't really fault the hardware compared with Apples. Yes newer ThinkPads are not quite the tanks they used to be - but still miles better to service yourself.  I have normally recycled my old ThinkPads down the family line - and they just keep working. Yes screens go dim over time - but are cheap and easy to replace. So I think I get about 10-12 years of useful life out off a ThinkPad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next