Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
General PCB/EDA/CAD Discussions / Re: Rumor has it...
« Last post by rx8pilot on Today at 12:37:02 PM »
So what your are saying is "give up, and stop pressuring vendors for non-subscription options". Because that's how it works, of course. Can't say I agree with that position. Obviously giving up is easy, but they will sure find a way to exploit you even more. The next step is slight increases of the subscription price. Just enough so it is below the pain point. But if you do that many times, you can smooth your cash flow to no end.
[/quote]

I am saying the opposite.

If the software companies make a change with expectations they will make more money and the target audience rejects it and does not buy it - they lose.
If the software companies make a change with expectations they will make more money and the target audience buys it - they win.

The audience has the power to reject it by not purchasing. There are a lot of other tools that are not subscription - some free and some are $10k. Pick the one that gives you the best value.

For me personally - at the current rates - I would not reach the cost of Solidworks/Mastercam for something like 25 years if I never updated Solidworks or Mastercam. I also get Eagle for 'free'.

If I kept SW and MC under maintenance and did regular updates - the cost would dwarf the Autodesk solution. Again - that does not even count the cost of Eagle.

Of course you don't need a jammer to kill cell phones if you have a properly shielded room/building to start with. Looks like that might be the case here.
Manufacturing & Assembly / Re: Asian BoM costs
« Last post by blueskull on Today at 12:36:06 PM »
Its just not worth the risk, doign false declarations. Get caught, ( i dont' care what they do in China ) here doign that  ( sending stuff ) you will get a big fine.    Very different way of doign things here.

All major Chinese PCBA houses will ask you to do the same thing.
Anyway, duty is determined by import country, not export country. If you get caught, it's your problem with Chinese government, not with your government.
Amazon.ca shipped me a second defective unit ("BA" serial) I confirmed the probe compensation defect.

I think we should have a poll on whether you get a third "BA", I think the chances are high. :horse:
Hi,

why not post raw data?

Best regards
egonotto
Microcontrollers & FPGAs / Re: ESP8266-XX - buy vs build
« Last post by Nusa on Today at 12:31:27 PM »
I know that, I said that. But if you can't have it all off the shelf, the pin-header requirement is the easiest one to solve yourself. Soldering the module to an adapter is way easier than transplanting memory chips.
Test Equipment / Re: Handheld meter electrical robustness testing.
« Last post by joeqsmith on Today at 12:30:03 PM »
Back about 10 posts, I linked the FTC document describing the requirements for the various markings.

Someone posted about how I had zero'ed out the 87V causing the large error in the reading.  Pictures showing my old HP in 4-wire, not zero'ed with leads shorted and leads attached to the common leads of the 4-wire 1% 0.1 ohm resistor. 

The 87V manual only seems to show the 0.1ohm res, so I would assume +/-0.2% FS + 2*0.1 ohms, rather then 2*0.01 ohms.  Not the best manual for a meter so mature and with such a high price tag.   
I think that they charge top price, for instance they are asking for £120 for an beaten up Leader oscilloscope which is 20Mhz BW  :wtf:
Manufacturing & Assembly / Re: Asian BoM costs
« Last post by mrpackethead on Today at 12:29:26 PM »
Hi,

I was looking at some small volume Chinese PCBA quotes recently and noticed that BoM numbers were a bit all-over-the-place. Surprisingly for me, some numbers were higher that Digi-Key USD pricing we pay for prototype quantity parts. This made it harder to compare quotes as I had to figure out what extra margin was buried in the BoM sourcing. I always thought that often the US price is quoted for low volume / discount for higher volume - and that in actual fact the PCBA supplier made a substantial part of their margin on the PCBA deal by sourcing lower cost parts locally.

Anyone have extra insight / experience on this? Either as a customer or supplier?

Alan

If the parts are being sourced from overseas, they are often more expensive for the small PCBA's to purchase than you coudl purchase them in the US or outside of china.    Larger PCBA's ( and if you are doign big jobs )  have tax-free zones, where goods come into and leave the country and there is no tax paid..  Import dutys are 20%+ on parts.     Many of the microcontrollers fit into this catagory..     if you want to find out what parts you can get locally check out one of the local distributors.   
http://www.szlcsc.com/  is the chinese digikey for example.    Some stuff is awesome. Some stuff is blah.  Szlcsc is pretty good with product tracablity,  I've never got burned with parts that are not 'real'.

General PCB/EDA/CAD Discussions / Re: Rumor has it...
« Last post by ataradov on Today at 12:26:50 PM »
Welcome to capitalism. It's kinda how things work.
So what your are saying is "give up, and stop pressuring vendors for non-subscription options". Because that's how it works, of course. Can't say I agree with that position. Obviously giving up is easy, but they will sure find a way to exploit you even more. The next step is slight increases of the subscription price. Just enough so it is below the pain point. But if you do that many times, you can smooth your cash flow to no end.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next