Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Test Equipment / Re: Multimeter selection for production testing
« Last post by 2N3055 on Today at 04:00:02 pm »
In automated test where you control both instrument and test equipment it is simple to create test code for DUT that will work in synch with test flow and switch meter in proper range before drawing large current.
That would be sufficient to verify operating modes and hardware.
I have a hunch ...

A hardware modification? Why should they?

It's certainly possible. They have photos of newer 2000X HDs in the dark cases. They might follow similarly to how the 1000X HD got upgraded between case versions, but that's just hopeful speculation.
Test Equipment / Re: Choosing between entry-level 12-bit DSOs
« Last post by ebastler on Today at 03:57:32 pm »
But still, near-zero practical difference to most people in this category, and a "Pro" would probably want something with a bigger screen.

That's a weird response to one of the devices simply having superior hardware. 🤷

Once there is no further denying that not only the competitor's hardware is better, but they also handle the eventual limitations properly, the second line of defense is to argue that the difference is not important.  ::)

Which, by the way, is a pattern I have also seen in discussions about Siglent design limitations, e.g. the paired vertical pixels in the SDS800X HD. Just sayin'...   
« Last post by ebastler on Today at 03:53:35 pm »
What if somebody feeds in a 250MHz signal into a Siglent by mistake?
Then they've made a mistake and will get mistaken results.  This has little to do with the fact that the Siglent is the better scope, regardless what errors are made.

Seems like a pointless discussion anyway.  Like splitting hairs.  Some people like Rigol, some like Siglent and when they are as close as these two, that's probably going to be the deciding factor.

I hope it has become clear in the exchange with Fungus, but just to be sure:

The thing is that the user will not get mistaken results from the Siglent. The SDS800X HD either has ample sampling rate (1 or 2 GHz in dual or single-channel mode) and reconstructs the 250 MHz signal properly. Or, when it falls back to 500 MSa/s in three or four-channel mode, it activates a dedicated 200 MHz low-pass filter in its front end, to ensure that no frequency components above the Nyquist limit come through and cause aliasing.
Test Equipment / Re: Multimeter selection for production testing
« Last post by bdunham7 on Today at 03:52:49 pm »
Unless I've missed something, none of these meters mentioned--not even the unaffordable Keysight--can do what you are asking for.  You need to measure 2A on the 10A range but even a long-scale meter isn't going to measure to 10µA accuracy on that range--that would be 1ppm.  Everything talked about so far has a separate circuit for the 10A range, so how is the meter going to 'switch' between those ranges?  There are older meters that either have single current ranges with 0.1R shunts instead of 0.01R, such as the Fluke 8842A or multiple shunts with a single input such as the HP 34401A.  I just tried both of them. 

The Fluke 8842A will do what you want except it is limited to 1.99999A and relies on amplification to create a 200mA scale that amazingly enough can measure 100µA as accurately as you need (in my test) but is not specified to be that good.  It is also GPIB-only.

The 34401A works, has the single input with multiple ranges/shunts (3A/0.1R and 10mA/5R) and is specified to easily meet your needs.  However, it does not have make-before-break when switching ranges.  It's quick (a double-pole relay switches over) and you could probably deal with it by using a bypass capacitor and not using autorange but rather ranging up (via software control) before applying the 2A current.  The 34401A has RS232 that can be adapted with a USB cable and the command set is sufficient to do the simple task you're requesting.  The only remaining issue is burden voltage which is about 900mV @ 2A. 
Test Equipment / Re: Siglent SDS3000X HD and upgraded SDS1000X HD
« Last post by H.O on Today at 03:51:16 pm »
Have Siglent send a 3000X HD to Shariar over at The Signal Path. He certainly has the knowledge and equipment to do it justice and test to (and beyond) its limits, it's practically in the DC domain as far as he's concerned :-)
I'd most certainly watch that video even though I'm not in the market for one.
« Last post by 2N3055 on Today at 03:49:54 pm »
But still, near-zero practical difference to most people in this category, and a "Pro" would probably want something with a bigger screen.

That's a weird response to one of the devices simply having superior hardware. 🤷

Weird responses are his speciality!!
Beginners / Re: Schumacher 5212 A battery charger
« Last post by xvr on Today at 03:49:27 pm »
Test them with DMM
Beginners / Re: Do I understand the terminology of voltage/current?
« Last post by Terry Bites on Today at 03:49:13 pm »
The cell voltage is a measure of its potential energy. Energy is transported via the current ino the circuit resistances.
« Last post by KungFuJosh on Today at 03:48:32 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next