Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Buy/Sell/Wanted / Re: Group buy Fischer Connector Plug S104-A053-130+
« Last post by BU508A on Today at 07:00:11 pm »
...and two for me, now we are very close to the threshold of ten pieces.

Noted. Thanks for your reply, Giampiero.
Beginners / Re: Recommendation for ESD mat supplier on AliExpress?
« Last post by RoGeorge on Today at 07:00:10 pm »
Once I got it I quickly found out that the advertised 380C temperature resistance is a lie and the material actually melts at <200C, making it unsuitable for any soldering or hot air rework...
probably nobody bothered to check that the 380C temperature resistance is actually true.

I bought mine from AliExpress, and it can easily withstand 200*C (tested with a blob of melted solder) with no marks or discoloration remaining afterwards on the mat. There are 2 main types of mats: rubber based, and plastic based. The rubber ones should have no problem at 200*C. The plastic ones will melt. It's easy to identify the rubber ones from the AliExpress pictures, and if what you receive is not like in the picture, than you can open dispute and win. Here's my ESD rubber mat: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/anti-static-mat-smell/

Anyway, even if the mat can withstand the hot air temperature, it will transmit a lot of heat to the workbench table. For hot air rework, look for a silicone pad to put underneath the PCB. I have one made from this white translucent silicone, it is about 5-6 mm thick, and will help a lot for hot air rework if you don't use a preheater. It is a very good thermal insulator, so the other side of the PCB will keep the temperature instead of loosing heat to the workbench. Of course, silicone is not ESD safe, but being an excellent electrical insulator, too, the charges won't flow, so it is not prone at all to burn chips by ESD.
Buy/Sell/Wanted / Re: Group buy Fischer Connector Plug S104-A053-130+
« Last post by BU508A on Today at 06:58:48 pm »
Since you chose the 5mm clamp, do you already have cables picked out for using with these? Which ones?

No, I don't have any cables right now. The 5mm clamp was only a guess of mine.
What do you suggest as a diameter for the clamp? 4mm?
I think, the price should be the same.
Test Equipment / Re: Siglent SDM3045X Boot Hang
« Last post by tautech on Today at 06:56:00 pm »
Sounds good!  I probably should contact Siglent USA, but you're so darn helpful!   :-+
Thanks.  :-[

They're sure taking their time Bill but I'm off to the scratcher so hopefully there's something in my inbox for you in the morning.  :=\
Test Equipment / Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Last post by bd139 on Today at 06:53:15 pm »
Yeah I have to agree. While the DS1054Z is crowed around here as the bee's knees for bottom end DSOs there are too many compromises not to make it frustrating to use. It's noisy, laggy, the UI is crap, the controls are soggy and the probes are just shit. You can get the job done but it's like living in a snake pit.

If I'm honest I'm finding it hard to need a DSO. For digital stuff a Saleae does the job. Really slow stuff, a logging DMM does a beter job as it has some proper measurement resolution (U1241C does 40 readings per second at 10,000 count resolution).

And for that twilight zone in the middle, where the DSO usually wins, the trick is to make your one shot event repetitive! Usually employing the function generator, a BJT and a couple of resistors to accomplish that.
General Chat / Re: Fake chips?
« Last post by NivagSwerdna on Today at 06:53:01 pm »
You lot are so grumpy!  This isn't for a commercial product it's for home tinkering.  And for home tinkering the China sourced eBay stuff is definitely the cheapest way to go especially if you accept there is a certain failure/fake rate. 

Incidentally I do have some legit TI MAX3232 somewhere.. I'lll dig one one and compare and contrast when I have time.

I'm quite interested in the failure mode of these things... it definitely works for a while but i'm hammering it with continuous traffic.. maybe that pushes it over the edge.
Microcontrollers & FPGAs / Re: STM32 - can cloning be prevented?
« Last post by Kjelt on Today at 06:50:53 pm »
Assume  ::)
Test Equipment / Re: Low Cost Cap Tester, ESR, LCR 2018
« Last post by elgato on Today at 06:47:17 pm »
So,
To measure the 4700uF cap you need to select 100Hz but ESR will then show zero.
Then you select Rs mode and select 1kHz for an ESR value?

See pics.

Auto range is fairly useless?

Do the other meters, like the Atlas ESR70 simply do this in one step?

Does the MESR-100 auto range for ESR even at the higher values?

Thanks
Beginners / Alternative to LTC4020
« Last post by jram on Today at 06:45:52 pm »
I like the feature set of this chip a lot.  I'd like to implement it as a LiFePO4 battery charger for a design load of 40A, 14V.  However, its expensive and in a 38 pin package for which there don't seem to be much in the way of adaptors.

I've also read the odd negative comment about avoiding getting sucked down the 'Linear' path for reasons of cost.  So I'm wondering about viable alternatives that members have experience of?

Thanks

John
I just ordered 12 of those SCSI cables, great price. I have ordered a lot of bulk parts and components from Rockby’s monthly sale mail outs, there are some good bargains every month.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next