Low Cost PCB's Low Cost Components

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
I’ve never been to an Uno in Chicago, but I went to one somewhere else in USA, and mouth-watering is definitely not the memory I have of it... :/

I have to admit that this is a memory from 1991, when I was working in Chicago. There was only 1 Uno, there was a line every night, and their 'deepdish' pizza, albeit no pizza, was worth waiting for.

For all I know they are a chain now and taste like Dominos, but the memory is still intact.  8)

I actually happen to like Dominos. They changed their recipe recently, and now it is really good.

However, no pizza, from any place on earth, will beat Bristol Pizza in Bristol, CT. They, hands down, have the absolute BEST pizza. I am over a hundred miles away, otherwise I would eat that stuff every day and night. They are absolutely amazing.
Or if you're sending hardware to the Kuiper Belt.

Now that sounds like an interesting kickstarter campaign!
Beginners / Re: Offset voltage question - op-amp
« Last post by Hero999 on Today at 04:19:03 AM »
So if I power the op-amp with 5V at the positive supply I`ll get ( 5V - 1,5V = 3,5V ) at the output ?

And If I choose an op amp in the future I should look for the Voltage Range parameter?

Yes I understand that rail to rail will give 2.99999 V at the output in my example with 3V supply.
Two parameters are important for your application:

Common mode or input voltage range. This is the range of voltages the op-amp's inputs will work between. The LM358 and LM324 have an input voltage range between the op-amp's negative rail and 1.5V les than the positive rail. If one or both of the inputs are taken outside this range, the op-amp's output becomes undetermined. In some cases, phase reversal occurs, which means the inputs exchange functions: the inverting input becomes the non-inverting input and vice versa. Some op-amps have a common more range which exceeds one of the supply rails, although it's not documented, the LM358 and LM324 will work with their inputs down to 0.3V below the negative rail, but it's not guaranteed. An op-amp with a rail-to-rail input, means the input voltage range covers the entire supply voltage range.

Output voltage swing. This is the range of output voltages the op-amp's output can obtain. If it's exceed, the output will just saturate at the highest or lowest voltage it can. This is always within the supply rails, unless the op-amp has a built-in charge pump, to boost the supply voltage. It's heavily dependant on the load current and often the supply voltage. A rail-to-rail output means the output will work over the full supply voltage range, although it can't quite reach each supply rail because it will have some resistance, but it's normally quite low, compared to what one would typically load an op-amp with.
Beginners / Re: use analog oscilloscope for checking I2C
« Last post by ataradov on Today at 04:16:43 AM »
Forget about analog scopes for I2C. You will see something, but only about 5% of what you actually need to debug any problems.

LA can be obtained for $7 shipped. There is no reason to not have one.
Some good leads here, thanks very much everyone.

Looking at the portfolio of available parts, it's clear that:

- yes, it is possible to run active electronics at 225C, or hotter
- their technical performance will be strictly limited, though.

As I suspected, the best option looks to be to put conventional electronics somewhere cooler, if possible. It's the "if possible" caveat that's the real issue here, of course.
Test Equipment / ????????? ???? ???? 2012
« Last post by Louiskef on Today at 04:12:10 AM »
Beginners / Re: Multimeter Final Decision
« Last post by ataradov on Today at 04:11:07 AM »
Uni-T UT136. You are not buying a future heirloom, no reason to make it expensive.
Thermal Imaging / Re: Frasers Thermal Camera Collection - The list !
« Last post by Fraser on Today at 04:09:58 AM »
Hi Bill,

Not sure what core is in the unit, I only bought it today  ;D

The T3 comes in MAX and MAX+ versions. The 'Max' is 160 x 120 pixels and the 'Max+' is a 320 x 240 pixel spec.

Datasheet attached

Fraser

Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff / Small FPGA recommendation
« Last post by AndyC_772 on Today at 04:09:56 AM »
Hi all,

I have a design which requires a small FPGA, and I'm struggling to find an appropriate device.

The logic requires 'a few hundred' logic cells, and includes an adder that needs to run at about 100 MHz.

My usual favourite 'go-to' device for this type of thing is the Altera Cyclone IV EP4CE6. It's the smallest device in the range, costs about £10 in modest quantity, and comes in a 144 pin QFP which works on a standard 4 layer PCB.

It's one of my all-time favourite components, but for this job it's overkill. What I really want is a device that's about 1/4 the size, both in terms of logic and I/O count, and (crucially) won't require microvias or other HDI just to fit it to the PCB. Something like a 32 or 48 pin QFN would be perfect, but the world seems much more keen on tiny little WLCSPs that are an absolute pain to handle unless you're already making something ultra-tiny.

It would be nice (though not absolutely essential) to use another SRAM based device that I can easily download from an MCU as part of the boot process. That eliminates a production step, and means upgrades are trivial as they're just baked into the main firmware.

Of course, it would need to be cheaper than the Cyclone IV too, otherwise there's no point swapping to a new family. I'm not constrained for board space, so the EQFP144 isn't strictly a problem as such... it's just going to have a lot of pins unconnected, which seems wasteful.

Any FPGA enthusiasts here have a favourite small, relatively recent, fast-ish device that they wouldn't mind sharing?
I have never heard of these before and found this an interesting video. Its certainly curious as to what their intended application might have been.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next