Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Kempton is a bit closer to me too.  Can anyone point me to a website with details and dates?  What sort of market is it?  (I could only find the antiques market on the racecourse website).
http://www.radiofairs.co.uk/
True, but that shouldn't stop RB0 toggling as its alternately being set and cleared by BSF and BCF instructions.  However if any other analog capable pins on port B were outputs,, without clearing ANSELB, they'd be unexpectedly reset to 0 with every transition of RB0.
General Chat / Re: Show us Your Wall Wart Pile(s)
« Last post by xrunner on Today at 02:54:07 AM »
Another thing people might not consider initially too is the other end - the power connector. Sometimes they can come in handy, especially if you need an odd one and you happen to have one on a saved wall wart. Simply cut it off and splice it on as you need - observing the correct polarity of course.  8)
Beginners / Re: Flow of Electrons in a DC Circuit
« Last post by CatalinaWOW on Today at 02:52:25 AM »
Which is correct:
?

Nothing is simple it seems.  :popcorn: Thanks for the excellent responses by the way.

As engineers and technicians a more practical response is appropriate.  In one of the two pictures the load will respond.  If it is a resistor it will get hot.  If it is a coil a magnetic field will be generated.  If it is a bulb it will light.  Forget the physicists and their arguments about current flow.  When the plus on the battery is connected on the triangle end of the diode good stuff happens.  When the plus on the battery is connected to the line end of the diode nothing much happens.  Similar reasoning can be applied to transistors and other similar devices.  The symbols we have chosen for our parts may not be pedantically right (from some point of view), but they are the ones that are extremely widely used.  If you stick with them you will understand published circuits, and others will understand your written communications.  Which most people think is a good thing.

When you graduate to AC circuits you won't have to change this understanding much.  And when you are in university level courses on solid state physics you will have sufficient understanding to use either convention without worrying about it too much.
« Last post by james_s on Today at 02:51:13 AM »
Yeah I prefer the old iron transformer type in many cases too, the output is cleaner and they are much more reliable. I replaced the wall wart on my router with an old transformer type after going through 3 or 4 of the switchmode type. I re-capped them a couple times, others blew up beyond reasonable repair. I don't think any of the switchmode adapters lasted more than a year or so. Iron transformer wall warts are getting harder to find, the switchers are everywhere.
Kempton is a bit closer to me too.  Can anyone point me to a website with details and dates?  What sort of market is it?  (I could only find the antiques market on the racecourse website). 

KiCad / Re: I did it - switched to KiCad
« Last post by james_s on Today at 02:47:44 AM »
That was my point. Find me *one* EDA that has a high quality user interface without various quirks and bugs, if it exists I've never found it. I tried every one I could get my hands on, came to the conclusion that they all suck, and stuck with KiCad because it's free and does everything I need it to do. The bugs and quirks in KiCad are no worse than the bugs and quirks in any other EDA package. You learn to work around them like you do with any other.
« Last post by steve30 on Today at 02:46:11 AM »
I don't have much of a pile of them. Most of mine have some kind of device associated with them (or will be useful for something else), and are scattered around all over the place.
You forgot to change PortB0 analog select bit.  By default it is in analog mode.  The PIC is made like this just in case you have analog signals feeding some IOs during powerup.

Place this before the TRIS...
ANSELB = 0;  // make all of port B into digital IOs

I played a bit with LXI some time ago, but used python sockets instead of Telnet. I found that remote control of the scope is very unreliable, even with their own drivers and software. For instance I found that if I sent two commands too quick, one would not be processed, even after waiting for the completion of the first command (If I remember correctly). There were also some issues when using too big memory buffers (for faster memory reading). You still can automate stuff, but the system isn't as robust as I was hoping.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next