Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
General Chat / Re: Hakko Tip MTBF
« Last post by metrologist on Today at 05:55:13 am »
BTW, what are we looking for in Chinese replacements? I am only finding Hakko tips on ebay searching by the T15- part numbers.

Frys had the same T15-D16 on clearance for $11.50, so I'm back in business. Hope I get more than 100 hours of use this time.
  Your are not understanding the concept of bottom balancing correctly.   

I think I understand what is meant by 'bottom balancing'.
I am just pointing out that the circumstances that drove the inventor to come up with the idea are dubious.

OK, I read your post to imply that your were blaming bottom balancing. I see that you were referring to his description of the failures that led him to change to a bottom balancing method.

Basically, it sounds like he was driving around an EV without any BMS to protect the cells.

Not exactly. If I understand correctly, he was using the typical current shunting type of BMS employed by many.
Beginners / Re: Custom Arduino PCB - not working after assembly?
« Last post by Sparker on Today at 05:54:02 am »
Cool! Once I also wasted some time because I forgot about the fuse bits... now it's fused in my brain to always check them.  :-+
Does it make any difference during a transient? I don't have any feeling for such things.

Might it saturate and help somewhat, or is the magnetic geometry such that it makes little difference?
if you got the money nice VNA cables that are flexible and phase stable.

???
Waaaaaayyyyyy beyond my $$$ limit and frequency range.
Hi,

I built that project some years ago, like you using a Uno.

Just copied your code and reloaded his Rotary library and as you can see it complies  and uploads ok to my clone Nano board.

Using Arduino ide 1.8.5

General Chat / Re: Unicode
« Last post by TwoOfFive on Today at 05:51:01 am »
Originally, it was a reply to the reply of TwoOfFive who stated that electronic engineers can still do their job when they are not able to read
basic english: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/unicode/msg1487445/#msg1487445

Which is true. There are non-English datasheets in the world. To my knowledge, most of that technical writing is done by EEs, so if they can all magically understand English, why do Chinese datasheets exist?

TwoOfFive probably hasn't seen the world much. Anyone you meet in a professional context from any part of the world will have some competence or fluency in English. English is the international language of communication.

Trust me, I have decades of professional experience working as an engineer, and everyone I have worked with from anywhere, be it Asia, Europe, Middle East, Africa, South America, anywhere in the world, they all have conversed naturally in English, both spoken and written. It may be unfair they have to do this when native English speakers get a free ride, but it is how it is.

By absolutely no means get me wrong, I will concede that the majority may have some English knowledge, but there must be some groups of EEs that don't. Considering there are only 1.5 billion English speakers in the world, I find it hard to believe that entire 6 billion person group does not have any EEs in it.

If we want to talk about what language will win in the end, we all know it's going to be Cornish. The widespread acceptance of the language and it's mass appeal makes me think that it's current speaker base of only 500 will be completely temporary.
It is the experience of many eBike and EV builders that charging Lithium batteries below freezing temperature causes irreversible damage. I personally damaged my eBike LiFePO4 pack that way.  This does not happen to lead acid batteries.
A BMS of any Li-ion battery pack should prevent charging the pack at too low temperatures. One of the problems however is that most of these packs are made in China and have low quality when it comes to the BMS functions.

Yes, I agree, they should.  The problems, as we all know, is  that electronics are subject to failure and poor design.  LA batteries require no such protection.

The fact -based on many decades of experience - is that deep cycle flooded lead acid batteries can withstand abuse in both extremes of temperature and charging/discharging without suffering irreversible damage. Period. Full stop. The same simply cannot be said of lithium batteries. Why else all the concern about cell monitoring, balancing, and use of BMS for lithium and not for LA?
Lead-Acid batteries need some care during charge and discharge. If you get the charging and discharging right then an LA battery will last very long and don't get problems due to sulphation.

Yes.  The main problem that LA suffers from is sulphation if they are left to sit at a low SOC or are not regularly brought up to 100% SOC and "equalized".  I think it's that historic "top balancing" approach used in LA that causes so many problems with people trying to implement a similar approach with lithium batteries.

In contrast one of the great benefits of lithium is the ability to let them sit at middle of the SOC curve for indefinite periods without damage.
General Chat / Re: Neighbours CCTV "spying" on my guests too! :(
« Last post by KILLSWITCH on Today at 05:49:03 am »
Personally I would be OK with it.
One day you may be glad he has a recording of what happened at your door if a package goes missing or your place gets broken in to.

If it bothers you why don't you talk to him about it?
He may feel like he is doing you a favor and has no idea it bothers you.
  Your are not understanding the concept of bottom balancing correctly.   

I think I understand what is meant by 'bottom balancing'.
I am just pointing out that the circumstances that drove the inventor to come up with the idea are dubious.

Basically, it sounds like he was driving around an EV without any BMS to protect the cells.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next