http://opalkelly.com/

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
General Chat / Re: Foxconn may build $7B plant in U.S.
« Last post by LabSpokane on Today at 04:52:11 AM »
Instead of focusing on the negative, think of all the great things that come with new factories: automation sales, programming and maintenance, manufacturing engineers, admin jobs, construction, services, logistics, etc. There will be all kinds of opportunities to do well without being a direct Foxconn employee.

I've spent a considerable amount of time in factories in the rust belt and doubt there is anything Foxconn can build that's scarier than some of the American-owned and operated factories I've seen.
Microcontrollers & FPGAs / Re: FPGA video format conversion
« Last post by legacy on Today at 04:52:02 AM »
I prefer to use a Xilinx 9500XL series CPLD because these don't need an external config storage and have 5V tolerance.

Yup. I had the same initial motivation here for a VGA VDU drive, I ordered a couple of brand new XC9500XL chips even if I had a lot of XC9500 5volt parts around simply because they're dead, but then I switched to a spartan6 fpga because I was more comfortable to add an external dram for a large videoram (32Mbyte).

For everything that needs an external large and fast video, that is my preferred choice.

For a second project I had to develop a STN driver. It was 160x240x2 with a low refresh rate, so an external static ram chip was enough for video ram (I say, it's three orders of magnitude simpler than a ddr ram, but ... usually small in capacity), thus I used a simple 9500XL cpld, but customer wanted to stay with CoolRunner-II, and ...  I had to spend a lot of time pointing out that only the expensive XPLA3 portable version of CoolRunner-II is 5V tollerant, and expensive means expensive :D
General Chat / Re: Suggestions on where to host a SMF.
« Last post by kalel on Today at 04:51:30 AM »
LeaseWeb

That actually looks cool. I am a tad wary of the 10TB limit. I don't reasonably think it will be surpassed, but just saying, what would happen if it were?

This is also a monthly limit? The cap resets every billing cycle, correct?

I would like to mention that it's probably reasonable to be more suspect of websites that say "unlimited" than those that specify a limit, whatever it may be.
Test Equipment / Re: Quality test probes?
« Last post by ebastler on Today at 04:51:12 AM »
Here you go.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brymen-Silicone-Gold-Plated-Test-Leads-Probes-for-Multimeters-CAT-IV-1000V-/171162377470?epid=2063657290&hash=item27da129cfe:g:uSQAAOxyTjNShpch

Or here, for about half the price, from an authorized Brymen distributor:
https://www.welectron.com/Brymen-BL21S2-T4SC-Silicone-Test-Leads

(Shipping costs come on top, which may make this one less attractive depending on where you are. If you order a meter from them, shipping is free.)
Beginners / Re: Polystyrene Capacitor
« Last post by Gyro on Today at 04:50:33 AM »
If you get it in SO14 pkg and use an smd 24MHz oscillator, then you might be able to hand wire a bit of protoboard that would bodge onto the DIP8 footprint without looking too silly. Time for some ingenuity.  ;)
General Chat / Re: My latest "Hardware" acquisition
« Last post by ebastler on Today at 04:45:27 AM »
A bicycle was involved in getting mine... How did you manage?
My son took up BMX Racing this spring and I thought it looked like a lot of fun. Many kids' parents race too, so I bought a bike and all the gear, and gave it a try...

I didn't need any hills or racing; normal city traffic did the job for me...
At least it served as a reminder that cycling helmets were designed for a reason!

Get well soon! Based on my experience, the worst of it is behind you now.
Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff / Re: RS232 parasitic power
« Last post by Andreas on Today at 04:44:38 AM »

Um, I'm looking at the ON Semi datasheet:

look harder: (not only the "advertising" on page 1)
Who really needs 10 mA at 0V for a power supply? ( = 0.000 mW)

There is a figure with a 3 kOhms working resistor.
If you adjust the slope * 3 for a 1 kOhm you will see there is not much room above 25 mW

with best regards

Andreas
Test Equipment / Re: Quality test probes?
« Last post by Johnny10 on Today at 04:43:29 AM »
I bought 2 sets of these a few weeks ago for half this price.
They seem to be similar to the ones that came with my Fluke 87 III.

It is a shame you can no longer tell from the descriptions what it is you are buying!

I feel foolish when over paying the manufacturer and foolish if the Chinese items I order are fake.
Even after researching items on the EEV blog forum.

Most times from China I get cheap versions of items.
This time I think I did all right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Fluke-TL75-Hard-Point-Test-Lead-Set-for-Digital-Multimeter/281312057886?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
General Chat / Re: Suggestions on where to host a SMF.
« Last post by TwoOfFive on Today at 04:42:57 AM »
LeaseWeb

That actually looks cool. I am a tad wary of the 10TB limit. I don't reasonably think it will be surpassed, but just saying, what would happen if it were?

This is also a monthly limit? The cap resets every billing cycle, correct?
EEVblog Specific / Re: EEVacademy #4 - I2C Bit Banging
« Last post by nctnico on Today at 04:42:34 AM »
a) Within a compilation unit, I know at least two IDEs that are very unhappy if you include anything that doesn't have a ".h" extension. Apple Xcode and Android Studio. Visual studio also frowns upon it - the autocomplete doesn't suggest anything that doesn't have a ".h" extension if you start typing #include.

b) If there's more than one compilation unit in your project then code like that should be wrapped/abstracted, it shouldn't be exposed everywhere. This means the code will be #included within a compilation unit's ".cpp" file and therefore should be in a header file.
I think you got a few things mixed up here! IDE's not wanting to include anything else than .h files doesn't mean code should be in .h files. If you want to use code from a.c in b.c you should link a.o and b.o into a_and_b_linked.bin and not try to include a.c into b.c. I know some programmers do the latter but it is very bad coding practise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next