Recent Posts

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next
How did it work before? For how long was a free license valid? Did it require internet connection to run?

Lattice licensing generally speaking is based on license files that must be renewed every year. You don't need an internet connection to run the tools, but you need one to ask for the license - they send it by mail.
Technically you can request a license from any device, it doesn't have to be the actual target pc - as long as you know the MAC address, that's all you needed. So it's possible to use the license on a totally offline/isolated pc.
Microcontrollers / Re: Routines to convert binary to BCD in C code
« Last post by SiliconWizard on Today at 03:39:04 am »
Is there an actual problem that's trying to be solved here?
Not really.  Binary to decimal conversion is considered "slow" and requiring "surprisingly much" machine-level code, compared to arithmetic operations, so these can be useful in some cases, but that's about it.

Library implementations, especially various printf() implementations, are written for correctness and not for efficiency, so when you work with smaller microcontrollers, especially 8-bit ones (AVRs, PICs, 8051s), a custom implementation can be useful.  More annoyingly, most standard library functions use arbitrary precision arithmetic and dynamic memory allocation during conversion of floating-point numbers.

Even on fully hosted C environments, it turns out that if you read numeric data from text files, the standard C library string-to-number conversions (strtod(), strtol(), scanf() and their variants) become the bottleneck, when you have enough (megabytes) of data.  Then, too, "optimized" conversion functions can reduce the load times to a fraction of what they would be using standard C conversion functions.

Yep. scanf() being the absolute dog of them all.

And sometimes the "simplest" solution is actually also the most efficient. As I said before, the simple approach to count powers of ten, requiring "only" up to 9 iterations per digit with just a subtraction and an increment per iteration, will be faster on most targets that do not have a hardware multiplier (with which most optimizing compiler will implement the divide by 10), or on which the hardware multiplier is a multi-cycle operation. In particular, I've used the solution I mentioned earlier on AVR targets and it led to a lot smaller code size, and much faster too. Don't let the fact that it looks too "naive" deter you - looking at the generated assembly if in doubt will help picking the most efficient approach, in simple cases like this.
I would look at the G1 with a scope to see actual voltages. G1 might be not be driven (floating) or the 518's shift register is wonky.
This thread, it sorta seems like the OP found VFD had internal leakage but not sure about the English, his bench test of the VFD:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-agilent-53181a-display-error/msg1399630/#msg1399630
Inside the VFD is a set of close PCB traces that very rarely have some ion migration happen.
Projects, Designs, and Technical Stuff / Re: PC74hct4046ap Replacement
« Last post by BrianHG on Today at 03:24:19 am »
Are you sure the source of your noise is the 74HCT4046?

What about the VCO feedback input from your 'Custom Chip'.  That loop filter with the series diode doesn't look like it can create ever guarantee a super-tight loop.  That 4.7meg as a pull-down is kinda like a weak open circuit.  I would be surprised if that circuit could even be made stable unless you have a fluke of a tuned circuit.  I would toss out that design and do things properly, then you will have no oscillator noise when using any 74HC/HCT4046 variants.
Looking at the IO buffer diagram you can see that there are DDR structures for both inputs and outputs.
I have used these on the ICE parts and they work fine.
However, I found the PLL to be more limiting in many cases compared to let's say a MACH-XO3 device.
Also, as others have said these parts are pretty slow. Don't expect your main clock speed to be much higher than 60 MHz.
Test Equipment / Re: SDS800X HD Wanted Features
« Last post by electronics hobbyist on Today at 03:21:20 am »
Modify the rules for adding wanted features list. "Wanted features" need the "Say Thanks  :-+" of two other people besides yourself, so you need to describe usage scenarios clearly so that you can get the approval of others. "Improvements" can lower standards.
Based on historical experience, manufacturers will not guarantee that they can add new features. Siglent is also constantly adding new functions when releasing new versions, such as the serial analysis function of sds2000x plus.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-bugs-missing-features-feature-requests/msg5434955/#msg5434955
Metrology / Re: ADR1001 - Ovenized Voltage Reference System
« Last post by floobydust on Today at 03:20:43 am »
This ADR1001 seems to be quite late? About 19 months.
EDN April 10, 2024 "Voltage-Reference IC with Integral Heater Offers Single PPM-Class Results" they did a blurb about it but no mention of availability.
FPGA / Re: Gowin Simulation
« Last post by Rainwater on Today at 03:19:39 am »
For the record. This will teach how to import the Gowin's precompiled libraries into ModelSim / QuestaSim and run simulations based on their IPcores. Tested yesterday with QuestaSim 2023 & Gowin Designer 1.9.9.01 (build71333).

https://youtu.be/2uUcYFE-3S8?t=393
Is there a kind soul that can make a transcript of what is being said? Written words are easier to translate. The translator in my phone cant keep up.
Test Equipment / Re: SDS800X HD Wanted Features
« Last post by electronics hobbyist on Today at 03:19:32 am »
A nice feature for all the Siglent DSOs that support Bode Plots and Math Functions would be to allow the DUT Input and Output selections to support not only Channels 1-4 but also the Math Function. With this added capability using the Bode Plots for Impedance and Admittance measurements/plots becomes more straight forward without the need for additional support equipment such as Current/Differential Probes.

For example, one could use the Math function to subtract the voltage probed across a Reference Resistor with a pair of Channels to use as the DUT current for the Bode Plot.

Best,

Added to wanted feature No.39.

The shift register inside the HV518 chip?

I agree that the signals don't look correct, however, oddly enough, the display is almost correct (12th digit has the segment C lit and nothing else - segment C being the right vertical bottom).

Hopefully this weekend I'll have time to replace the chip.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Next