Recent Posts

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
If it is a real small DUT with integrated antenna such as a BT earphone and antenna relies on a ground as part of antenna, monopoles, F-antennas, which mirrors itself in  PCB ground => adding a measurement cable will change measured antenna impedance as cable braids will extend PCB ground size.
Correct impedance matching is then not possible if not some action are taken.

Even if PCB ground length is long relative actual wavelength will there be hot places along ground where a coaxial cable leaving PCB more heavily will affect measured impedance. Depending on situation can cable effect be reduced in a number of ways.
Sleeves and ferrite tubes to "cut off" cable braid works relative well at 1-3 GHz even if ferrite tubes material not are totally cutting or absorbing the braid current. Select ferrite material intended for as high frequencies as possible.
Never let test cable leave PCB ground at a ground corner or near antenna location.Especially if PCB ground is lossy from RF view or very short, such as split in small isles and traces, is it hard to avoid that coax cable braid becomes a vital part of antenna, which will result in a very different and probably poor impedance matching when cable is removed.
Sometimes must several ways be tested how to attach test cable without affect too much how RF current behaves in PCB ground. Hard to explain but I use a finger to search for places along ground that reacts more heavily at Smith chart, to find places to avoid letting cable leave PCB.

Do below show how a cable is attached at a medium small PCB using just two small ferrite tubes around measurement cable. It is not ideal high impedance blockers or absorbers but it is just a marginal antenna affect by test cable remaining. https://youtu.be/RyMFun_KhAc?si=PkSXL6TAsHgfyyEe

As the PCB in above video will be used close to a human head must also that be taken in account in how ground behaves and how body nearness can move around ground hot spots. If above video had been a customer project  had I probably done more detailed testing in different environments to find best impedance matching. Now was it a fictive job just to show principles how to do a 10 minutes quick impedance matching using AnTune software. 

>Many  of the antenna designers I have met have used "Carbon-Based Foam Absorbers"
None of my antenna design  colleges can use such material to avoid that cable braid  affects antenna impedance as its absorption effect is very low for short cable lengths, close to PCB.

>ferrites that are narrowband in comparison 

High freq. ferrites can very hardly be said to be narrow band but do mostly peak at 1-1.5 GHz in absorption efficiency and at 5 GHz are effect a bit too low to result in avoiding test cable very measurable acts as an low loss ground extension.
 So fare have I been lucky with antenna design and matching  at 5-6 GHz as in such cases have PCB ground been low loss and several lambdas in size which reduces problem that braid adds to ground size and hot spots can easier be avoided.
 A sleeve as alternative will always work. It is more narrow band but mostly wide enough to cover bands of interest at 5-6 GHz.
Test Equipment / Re: Tek 2465 Horizontal Sweep Issue
« Last post by kellymcdonald78 on Today at 01:50:14 am »
Here you go. I also ran the self test and it comes back clean
« Last post by bdunham7 on Today at 01:43:38 am »
I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is the hybrid chip failure or not, but for the life of me I can't seem to get a horizontal sweep (entirely possible this is user error). Everything else seems to work, I get a dot on screen, display works fine, I can adjust manually horizontally and vertically and the cursors (both T and V) work. I haven't used this scope in a decade and wanted to rule anything obvious out before I start tearing it apart. I followed the manual details to get a baseline, but no scan

Can you post a clear photo of the front of the scope as this happens?  We should be able to spot any user errors that way.
« Last post by kellymcdonald78 on Today at 01:43:06 am »
I don't think so. I've got the Sec/Div switch set to 100ms locked
« Last post by tautech on Today at 01:23:41 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Check it is not set to XY mode.
Repair / Re: SOLVED : Help with troubleshooting a Hypex SMPS400A400
« Last post by MathWizard on Today at 01:21:03 am »
Ok glad you found the problem. I was looking at goolge images for the PSU name. Yeah that's not the same picture you posted, but that 8-pin DIP in that pic should also be a controller.

The schematic fzabkar linked too looked pretty cool, with more to it than I expected (IDK the PSU tho). Some of the ways that one side of a circuit gets tied to another side, well IDK how to plan for that stuff. I'd like to see some block diagram model of what it's doing, or try and make some of it in LTS.
I don't understand why you need a pairing process at all. Simply install the same "secret key" on both the host and the node by your own means. Then generate encryption keys from the "secret key" combined with random input from both parties and use this encryption key with some sort of symmetric encryption such as AES. Make sure the random input is re-generated frequently and never repeats. If the keys don't match, the other part will receive garbage. You can easily verify genuinity by sending predetermined message and see if it arrives intact to the other end. This solves authentication problem.

Store the "secret key" for every host you ever made in the factory and simply implant it into a new node when you want to pair with a known host. Or vise versa.

This way you totally avoid pairing process which is inherently insecure.
Test Equipment / Tek 2465 Horizontal Sweep Issue
« Last post by kellymcdonald78 on Today at 01:17:51 am »
I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is the hybrid chip failure or not, but for the life of me I can't seem to get a horizontal sweep (entirely possible this is user error). Everything else seems to work, I get a dot on screen, display works fine, I can adjust manually horizontally and vertically and the cursors (both T and V) work. I haven't used this scope in a decade and wanted to rule anything obvious out before I start tearing it apart. I followed the manual details to get a baseline, but no scan

Thanks
Metrology / Re: DIY 0.1 to 10Hz Noise Amplifier
« Last post by Gerhard_dk4xp on Today at 01:17:02 am »
2 pics were gone:
Beginners / Re: Polystyrene cap percentage replacement ?
« Last post by wraper on Today at 01:16:57 am »
grey - 8, white - 9, grey - 8, black - multiplier x1. When you are soldering parts they tend to drift.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next