Recent Posts

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next
General Technical Chat / Re: Boston Dynamics new Atlas Robot.
« Last post by SiliconWizard on Today at 08:04:17 pm »
This is impressive robotics but probably extremely expensive - I'm wondering who's the primary target market? (I mean, beside the military?)
To be honest, I don't feel very comfortable using disk editors or modifying boot sectors, etc.

Using 4kn disks sounds like the better solution long term. You could also do the research for what USB to SATA bridge ICs do translation and which don't.
That's why I asked for a tool reformatting the 512e HDD back to 4K.
I think I will ask WD support.

How can I find out what USB to SATA chipset is used by my old Sharkoon SATA QuickPort XT USB 3.0 dock or the potential new ones?
Repair / Re: Tektronix SC504 HV multiplier
« Last post by x-tian on Today at 08:03:13 pm »
Many thanks Doug Brewster.
It was a fantastic job you did in terms of getting the old Tektronix module oscilloscopes working again, despite the discontinued parts.

I've just cast epoxy in the box with fresh components, so we'll have to see if my version works when the epoxy has hardened.

I will write an update when the result is available.
There's a strong thread of IT incompetence in large organisations which has perhaps promoted the outsourcing of this technology, rather than investing internally, because that's difficult and requires a longer term vision.
Agreed.  Plus, outsourcing also provides a perfect scapegoat if the vision turns out to be crap.  That is, it is 'safer' for an executive to outsource, than to invest the same amount internally, because it is much easier to deflect blame to the vendor, than to the underlings one is in charge of.

Yes, and beyond costs, this is the #1 reason organizations choose to outsource anything in the first place.
Do I use the right setup?

No. If you want to use decent development tools run the things on a decent development machine and then send the compiled executables to the target. The fad of having to develop on the target is, IMO, a fad that's a bit silly.

Well, you did ask  >:D

Yep, but if the OP is really uncomfortable with setting up a cross-compiler (or in case there isn't one, which is not the case here, but just saying), the closest reasonable approach is to edit your code in whatever programming editor/environment you like and only compile it on the target.
The  TXCO's are impressive, but not really needed. There are quite some common xtal oscillators with jitter of around 1ps or better.  Jitter becomes relevant for the ADC noise when the jitter is higher than some 5 ps.  Old style 74HC... have jitter around 2 ps and the difference between a 74HC74 and 74AC74 is barely visible. Similar 74HC4053 gives slightly more noise then 74LV4053, likely from more jitter.

The µC internal PLL may well be the weak point. I have not found jitter data in the RP2040 datasheet. However they mention the compromise between jitter and power consumption for the choice of the VCO frequency. So jitter likely is somewhat noticable.  The DS for the STM32G071 (a possible alternative µC ) gives jitter specs of typical 40 ps RMS period jitter. This is quite a lot and would be a real issue. That µC would need to run without PLL and / or use external synchronization. The RP2040 may be slightly better, as it is not so much trimmed for low power.  However I don't expect is to be more than 40 times better than the STM32G  to reach the 1 ps range. For the ADC the frequency offset is in the 100 kHz range and thus a more difficult case than period jitter.

There are also different forms of jitter spec, this from a Epson part, SG-210SCBA  (0.3 to 19ps depending on jitter type)

plus you also need to worry about possible micro-step effects of crystals.

PCB.Wiz: Once again, thanks for providing more information regarding low-jitter clock sources. This is something I will be looking at in the future.
It's always interesting to do a refresh.
I found quite a few parts have 'come and gone', and it seems you can get high spec 2520 package parts for not much premium.
The appeal there is you can easily try a high spec part and see if there is really any measurable difference.

It's even possible to have dual operation, with High-Spec faster source user switched with a 12MHz Xtal or osc for booting.
I cleaned and deoxited the contacts / screw posts of the amp meter and now it doesn't seem to be intermittent anymore.

problem solved!
Microcontrollers / Re: How do you search for a microcontroller ?
« Last post by Perkele on Today at 07:52:21 pm »
Since you want to execute from RAM, what would be the ideal size?
Why not a fan that's ducted back into the bathroom?

I once had to install a bathroom fan in a rental property. The tenants had requested the loudest fan possible, possibly for similar reasons. I could have budgeted for a high-end fan, but rated noise is inversely proportional to price. I had to use the cheapest, noisiest Broan-NuTone model. The tenants were pleased.
General Technical Chat / Re: Post a picture of a cat!
« Last post by TheSteve on Today at 07:50:36 pm »
That pic looks almost primordial.

We are very lucky to have an amazing area a 2 minute drive from home. There is a nice creek and a full path that people walk and bike. We usually go down the path for a bit and then move off into the bush a little more where Boomer can have more fun and it is close to private. He really likes to cross the creek. The colors and look of the area are even better in person.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next