Author Topic: 9V Batteries chart and curves / Is common Alkaline battery is better choice for…  (Read 4387 times)

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Hi!

This is another "DDM battery tread" and I found interesting links:

On-line comparision http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries9V/Common9Vcomparator.php
and
Idividual curves http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries9V/Common9VIndividualTest%20UK.html

I see what at low currents (aka DMM) common Alkaline battery far better then LiIon/NiMH accumulators

Is it true? Is common Alkaline battery is better choice for 9V DMMs?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:56:31 pm by 001 »

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
For that you have to define "better choice".
Single-battery price?
Battery availability?
- Alkalines are pretty universal worldwide.
Operating cost over time?
Rechargability?
- Eliminates non-rechargeable types.
Operating time on one charge? (need to know the minimum operating voltage of meter to interpret curve)
- Non-rechargeable lithium will win here.
Something else?
Some combination of the above?

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Thanx fo quick answer. Nusa  :-+

See my links abowe and note that alkalines operating time at low current apps is longest, quiet,  cheap (low cost per time, not energy)
LiIon good for current loads/ but 9V LiIons have built in DC/DC converter. so hum is not good for measurment tool PS

Why some peoples on this forum steel trying to replace alcalines with others types?

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Your 1st priority must be leakage safety

Multimeter consumes very low battery, but if a leak happens will destroy the meter

The following users thanked this post: wnorcott

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
See my links abowe and note that alkalines operating time at low current apps is longest, quiet,  cheap (low cost per time, not energy)
LiIon good for current loads/ but 9V LiIons have built in DC/DC converter. so hum is not good for measurment tool PS

This is wrong.  Only the USB rechargeable types have a DC-DC converter.  The more common Li-ion 2 cell types are perfect for DMMs.

Example: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries9V/Conrad%20energy%20LiIon%209V%20500mAh%20(Blue)%20UK.html

"These batteries have more than double capacity compared to NiMH 9V batteries and are close to a alkaline battery at low load and this battery will maintain high capacity and voltage at high load."

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
What we have with LiOns?
 :-+  Big currents and fast charge
 :-- 8.5v 7.4v only, price about 10 common alkalines, no frose

Is it ok for DMM?

But ebay prices tease me with soshine https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soshine-9V-6F22-650mAh-batterie-rechargeable-Li-ion/253208146299?hash=item3af461b17b:g:tRsAAOSwrwxZ4h6X  :-DD

But… For my three DMMs i use three $1 alkaline batteries per year i.e. $3 per year
UPDATED: I`m so stupid. GP  at my local store about $0.3 only https://www.auchan.ru/pokupki/jel-pit-gp-1sht1604-6f22-krona.html :palm:

What advantage I miss?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:47:28 pm by 001 »

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
What we have with LiOns?
 :-+  Big currents and fast charge
 :-- 8.5v 7.4v only, price about 10 common alkalines, no frose

Is it ok for DMM?
It starts at 8.4V.  It is certainly "OK for DMM".

But… For my three DMMs i use three $1 alkaline batteries per year i.e. $3 per year

On US eBay we can get EBL brand 600mAh Li-ion for about $3 each.

If you only change the battery once a year, you probably don't need them.  I usually have to change them more often.

UPDATED: I`m so stupid. GP  at my local store about $0.3 only https://www.auchan.ru/pokupki/jel-pit-gp-1sht1604-6f22-krona.html :palm:

That is carbon-zinc, not alkaline.

What advantage I miss?

Less chance of leakage.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:59:24 pm by edavid »

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Less chance of leakage.

Is it problem since 9v batteries are hermeticaly sealed?
(All mess inside)

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Less chance of leakage.

Is it problem since 9v batteries are hermeticaly sealed?
(All mess inside)

They are not sealed.  The extra layer of packaging helps, but alkaline 9V batteries still leak sometimes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:03:35 pm by edavid »

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Even brand name 9 V alkalines sometimes leak, but not often and usually only when left in the instrument even when dead for a long time. However the amount of fluid is often small, so the damage can be limited. I have not seen NiMH Cell leak, but similar made NiCd sometimes do.

Whether rechargeable is worth it, depends on the usage. Standard NiMH tend to have too much leakage to be useful in a low current application. If you need to replace the batteries often (e.g. more than every 3 months) it might be worth the rechargeable.

It depends on the meter, how well the operate with a lower voltage when the battery is near empty. Some are more picky than others. I know of some calculators the could not reliably work with NiMHs (AAA) because only worked down to about 1.25 V / cell. Similar things might happen in a DMM.

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Thank You!

I.e. what alcalines still good for DMMs?

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
Skip over the alkaline cells and go straight for primary lithium batteries (now common as smoke alarm batteries), few people use their meter consistently enough to use much more than the self discharge of the batteries.

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Skip over the alkaline cells and go straight for primary lithium batteries (now common as smoke alarm batteries), few people use their meter consistently enough to use much more than the self discharge of the batteries.

Can You say what concrete model is good? I hear that Li is flamehazardous

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here

Can You say what concrete model is good? I hear that Li is flamehazardous
All the long shelf life lithium based 9V batteries appear to be "good", but its hard to know when you need 10 years to test them. Equally the Energiser 9V lithium batteries which have been around long enough to know they work as advertised, may have changed their construction or design since then.

The fire hazard from a 9V lithium is not much different from any other battery, they don't have higher short circuit currents or anything that would make them more likely to cause a fire. But once burning they are much harder to extinguish.

Offline 001Topic starter

• Super Contributor
And what about NiMH 9V rechargeable batteries?

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
I would only use one in a good meter that has auto turn off. No fun forgetting to turn it off and wiping out your ten dollar battery in your ten dollar meter.

The following users thanked this post: Someone, 001

Offline wnorcott

• Regular Contributor
  • I like making projects with the ESP32
I have had good luck so far with the EBL 600 mAh rechargeables they last a good long time.  Using it in one of the $20 transistor testers, multimeters and a few other things.  Very close in price now to 9V alkalines too so it's better for me to use the Li-ion. 
On very rare occasions, you might notice an odor or see a puff of smoke or sparks vent from your product.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf