Author Topic: AC Pool pump powered (1.5 hp) powered by solar panels? Good idea?  (Read 10102 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: AC Pool pump powered (1.5 hp) powered by solar panels? Good idea?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 04:55:11 pm »
I typically lose power about once a year, usually for a few hours or less but sometimes for a couple days. About 10 years ago a big storm came through and knocked down multiple high tension transmission lines, I was without power for 10 days. People who live in more rural areas typically have much more frequent outages.

Offline DougSpindlerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 05:28:36 pm »
The motor on my treadmill is 2HP, I was just looking at it recently when I did some work on the thing. Permanent magnet and universal motors are much more powerful for their size than induction motors. They have the downside of requiring a lot more maintenance though.

I just look at a treadmill motor I have.  You are correct it is 2.5 hp,  hard to believe a motor that small is 2.5 HP.

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 05:50:00 pm »
It also helps that the motors are rated for intermittent duty and used in a protected environment.

The designer for that motor can be significantly more lenient than that of a motor running 24/7 on a pump that its exposed to the elements.

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 11:58:59 pm »
I just look at a treadmill motor I have.  You are correct it is 2.5 hp,  hard to believe a motor that small is 2.5 HP.

What's the current and voltage?  You need something like 4.5A @ 180V to go without DC-DC conversion.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 03:55:37 pm »
It’s 130 vdc at 18 amps. 

I have to ask.  Why a DC motor and not AC?  I’m guessing that’s because they can control the speed?  With an AC motor the speed would be much harder to control?

And this one puzzles me.  How do they get 18 amps?  The original plug on the treadmill was a 15a.
With an AC voltage of 120 (RMS) can one get 130VDC?  And how does one get 18 from 15 amps?

Thanks

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 05:06:56 pm »
Cost, also size and weight. If they used an AC induction motor it would be much larger, heavier and more expensive as well as the electronics would have to be much more complex as it would require a 3 phase VFD.

I suspect marketing BS is how they get 18A, it's not uncommon for unusual rating systems to be used with special purpose motors. For example my air compressor claims "5 horsepower" but it plugs into a 120V 15A receptacle.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 06:35:02 pm »
Cost, also size and weight. If they used an AC induction motor it would be much larger, heavier and more expensive as well as the electronics would have to be much more complex as it would require a 3 phase VFD.

I suspect marketing BS is how they get 18A, it's not uncommon for unusual rating systems to be used with special purpose motors. For example my air compressor claims "5 horsepower" but it plugs into a 120V 15A receptacle.

Got it.  Thanks.

I have 3 atitic fans.  I have consdiered replacing them with a solar powered fran.  Each of the 3 fans I have right now draw draw 2.3 amps at 120vac  (285 watts published) and move 1500 cfm of air.  But the solar paowered fans which also move 1500 cfm of air are only powered by a 30 watt solar panel.

Hard to beleive solar is so efficient that 30 watts of solar power can move the same amount of air as 285 watts of AC current.  There's got to be a lot of marketing BS in this.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 06:36:39 pm »
One other question.....

If I want to power that 130 VDC treadmill motor with AC what's the best way?  Just a bridge rectifier?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2021, 10:28:00 pm »
Nonsense, pool pump motors haven't significantly changed in 40 years. I bet there will be a followup spam hawking poop pumps.

Offline daniel444

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2021, 06:31:19 am »
treadmill motor would only last a year or two

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf