Author Topic: Adhoc Grid Tie Inverter in the UK  (Read 1483 times)

Offline paulcaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Adhoc Grid Tie Inverter in the UK
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:49:30 am »
So, I was looking up on how GTIs work.  I also seen several videos of people running basic 1000W GTIs in the UK, but without a RoC or renewables contract with the energy provider and special meter.

If I understand correctly due to voltage drop the power will go to running the closest load, ie. your house, your ring main, you lights.  However if your load drops below the output of the GTI then the slightly elevated voltage will cause power to leak back out onto the grid.

This is fine.  However what is not fine is if it runs you meter backwards.  In fact in the UK that is a criminal offence.  it would/could be considered tampering with your meter to get free electricity.  You could also be considered rogue micro-gen and fined.

It would be a while before I would be able to produce enough power to leak out onto the grid, but it is possible when I move house and beef up my panel(s) it could happen.

Would it be safe enough to test the meter does not run backwards (a lot will not) and just stop.  If the meter does run backwards then are there anyways to sense and limit the GTI to the current load in your house?  Maybe a clamp meter on the meter box input live and allow the GTI to ramp up until that hits 0 and back off if it hits -0.01 Amps.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
Re: Adhoc Grid Tie Inverter in the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 03:50:04 pm »
Where the current goes strictly follows ohms law so if multiple loads are present it will be apportioned according to impedance, e.g. lowest gets the most!

Insofar as meters you had best check the details of your meter online to find out what it's reaction will be, I would be suprised if you had an electro-mechanical one, most are electronic these days but many are not bi-directional and may indeed flag up fraud if there is any reverse current flow.

If you are considering a GTI you should speak to your DNO (Distribution Network Operator) (not who you pay bills too) who you report power cuts too. They will advise you if your contemplated GTI is acceptable or not.

Finally you cannot obtain credits for the power in the UK unless the whole installation and installer person meets the renewable certification requirements (MCS).

As for knowing when you are exporting some meters change there LED color so you could potentially detect that or it's a current clamp and voltage tap (for that I use an AC wallwart) and some software to determine the phase relationship between voltage and current, ignoring power factor this swaps 180degrees between import and export.

Have fun and play safe :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf