Author Topic: Are there transportable Lion battey-packs for a home solar system?  (Read 1925 times)

Offline max5starTopic starter

I'm working on this project about renewable energy and I'm tying to figure out if its possible to have a battery pack that can be easily disconnected, moved, and reconnected from one solar panel system to another, if given the right base mounts. or are they too complex to easily remove. I'm prety new to this.  Anyone have an idea?

Offline electrodacus

• Super Contributor
    • electrodacus
Re: Are there transportable Lion battey-packs for a home solar system?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 04:27:56 pm »
I'm working on this project about renewable energy and I'm tying to figure out if its possible to have a battery pack that can be easily disconnected, moved, and reconnected from one solar panel system to another, if given the right base mounts. or are they too complex to easily remove. I'm prety new to this.  Anyone have an idea?

A battery that will have any sort of usable capacity will be to heavy to move easy and not sure how that will be useful. There are already plenty of small portable battery power packs if this is what you are referring to.
At a minimum you will need the battery and a BMS + charger to connect to a PV panel or PV array and this assumes you only want to use DC else you will also need an inverter already to much for comfortably moving this from one place to another. Not sure what you want to do exactly.
You can check my open source Solar BMS design that is now on Kickstarter   :)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 06:41:41 pm »
I'd look at packs intended for electric motor cycles. Some are designed to be taken out of the motor cycle to charge inside.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:16:14 pm »
yup. we have trailer mounted packs that can power entire streets. Deployed in disaster area's like Puerto Rico and Florida( hurricane )

This one was installed in slightly over a week :
https://electrek.co/2017/10/24/tesla-unveils-first-solar-storage-projects-hospital-puerto-rico/

or were you looking for something smaller ? weight is the problem. These thing are heavy.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 02:36:36 am »
Pick your needs from this range and look at the weight spec:
http://en.thundersky-winston.com/product/tqkqsgbdcfy.html
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 04:58:35 am »
Sure. Depending on the size and configuration of the battery bank, it is very possible to move, even heavy lead acid battery banks. Of course for a typical large system, it may mean moving several 20 kg or larger batteries or not - it really just depends on the type of battery bank and the size of it components.

There is no real complexity involved in the battery bank connections. Just the large cables connecting positive and negative terminals to the rest of the system and also usually a temperature sensor wire..  there will also typically be interconnects between individual battery bank batteries or cells.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:04:04 am by mtdoc »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf