Author Topic: More solar snake oil  (Read 2780 times)

Offline SeekonkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
More solar snake oil
« on: July 31, 2018, 02:12:25 pm »
Is this the batterizer of solar?  www.photonomi.com

Promises of enormous gains, not little.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: More solar snake oil
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 04:31:14 pm »
Well, its certainly got an odour of ophidian short-chain lipids about it.

Typical clear sky daylight is an order of magnitude less irradiance than direct sunlight.   Overcast sky daylight is usually at least another order of magnitude down on that. Therefore at best, the energy density for worthwhile output without direct sunlight just isn't there unless the panels have a total installed cost per unit area of less than a tenth of that of conventional photovoltaic or solar thermal panels.  To be a game-changer they'd need to be a hundred times cheaper.

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:18:09 am »
Not exactly.
The blue sky excluding the sun is low irradiance, in the order of 5% of full sunlight.
Overcast sky is typically much more, 7-20% of direct sunlight.

https://www.nasa.gov/images/content/57911main_Earth_Energy_Budget.jpg

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 07:40:05 pm »
They had me at nanotechnology.  :-DD  Without really explaining any technicals it does sound like some BS to me that will never see the light of day.  One of those things that's only there to wow investors.

People keep trying to reinvent solar.   I think all that effort should go towards more efficient PV modules and simpler/cheaper manufacturing processes.  That is already happening to some degree. 

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
  • 顽谎骆 from the Shenzhen Market
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 02:30:42 pm »
They had me at nanotechnology.  :-DD  Without really explaining any technicals it does sound like some BS to me that will never see the light of day.  One of those things that's only there to wow investors.

People keep trying to reinvent solar.   I think all that effort should go towards more efficient PV modules and simpler/cheaper manufacturing processes.  That is already happening to some degree.
There's no doubt that the word "nanotechnology" has been abused to the point of de-legitimizing real nanoscience.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf