Author Topic: NiMH AA slow charger recommendation  (Read 3129 times)

Online CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
NiMH AA slow charger recommendation
« on: September 05, 2017, 03:19:08 am »
I want to get a charger for 4 AA NiMH cells, one that charges and sense each cell individually, not as many do, in pairs, and then goes to a float charge using short sharp high current pulses. Maybe even one that discharges the cell first, and maybe even gives some kind of capacity readout. Not absolutely necessary though. Overnight charging is fine. Already got a 15 minute charger and besides being a bit hard on the cells, they have to be in top condition or it either wont charge or it terminates early.

Sooo.... any recommendations on what I should look at? This is for occasional domestic use only. 

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: NiMH AA slow charger recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 04:06:00 am »
My favorite charger for this purpose is the Panasonic BQ-CC17.

Panasonic chargers in general seem to be well designed, and are also good for Eneloops.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 05:22:54 am »
Happy with my Charger Opus BT-C700.  I had it for a year now.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/aaaaa-battery-charger-suggestions/msg1104710/#msg1104710
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:21:50 am by retiredcaps »

The following users thanked this post: Circlotron

Online CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 06:03:31 am »
^^ I didn't know about that thread. Thanks. 👍

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:41:28 am »
For at least 5 years the Eneloop Ni-MH batteries have been sold. All major battery manufacturers make Eneloops that are sold pre-charged because a charge lasts for one year. They say they do not need a trickle charge but if you must use it then limit it to 1/40th the mAh rating.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 07:25:03 am »
Lots of info, reviews, tests on batteries, chargers, etc. at http://lygte-info.dk/. Include graphs of charging/discharging behavior and more.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 05:04:39 pm »
I have a MAHA C-9000 which will do everything you referred to however I do not recommend it because the user interface is horrible.  The design is also poor; I had to replace the aluminum electrolytic decoupling capacitors on mine because they were not derated properly.

The much simpler MAHA MH-C401FS has a 4 hour charge mode and charges each cell individually.  However it also suffers from the aluminum electrolytic capacitor issue.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 08:24:21 pm »
If you're going to charge a Ni-MH cell either do it at a trickle where there are no smarts required, and it doesn't matter if the cells are in series or not, or do it in two hours or less. The reason is that for 'fast' charging (not trickle charging) once the cell is full, the voltage of the cell drops once it starts to heat. The charger has to catch this drop in voltage to know its done. So called '-deltaV' termination.  The slower the charge rate, the less heating, the less voltage change, and the more likely a missed termination is to occur, and the charger will either time out, or sense the increased temperature once the heat makes its way back to the temp sensor.

Personally I use a MH-C801D charger, easy, shows individual cell status, and only two options, fast or slow charge, and condition the battery or charge only. Plus it does 8 at a time, so less fiddling with changing batches.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 12:24:43 am »
Don't trickle charge NiMH or charge in 15 minutes, they don't like either extreme, though the 15 minute chargers will kill them much faster.
I have a maha c9000 but one bay is getting bad, I'm thinking of getting a nitecore now.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 12:27:05 am »
For at least 5 years the Eneloop Ni-MH batteries have been sold. All major battery manufacturers make Eneloops that are sold pre-charged because a charge lasts for one year. They say they do not need a trickle charge but if you must use it then limit it to 1/40th the mAh rating.

Eneloop is a brand that only one manufacturer makes, previously Sanyo but bought by Panasonic, they have been sold for over a decade, I have some going back to 2006.

the type of battery sold pre-charged by multiple brands is called low-self discharge.

Offline sasa

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • Hobbyist in electronic
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 06:29:19 am »

In addition to already mention by Eneloop batteries, they have extremely low self-discharge characteristic. Once charged, they will retain down to 70% up to 5 years. Personally I prefer 3th generation last made by Sanyo with his 4 hours charger NC-MQN09W and I'm extremely satisfied with, using it for years.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:32:12 am by sasa »
The 30+ years professional desktop software designer and software engineer

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 12:17:23 am »
I have a MAHA C-9000 which will do everything you referred to however I do not recommend it because the user interface is horrible.  The design is also poor; I had to replace the aluminum electrolytic decoupling capacitors on mine because they were not derated properly.

The much simpler MAHA MH-C401FS has a 4 hour charge mode and charges each cell individually.  However it also suffers from the aluminum electrolytic capacitor issue.

I own the MaHa C9000, what are the negative symptoms of a bad "aluminum electrolytic decoupling capacitor". What should I look for or be aware of?

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 03:21:46 pm »

I own the MaHa C9000, what are the negative symptoms of a bad "aluminum electrolytic decoupling capacitor". What should I look for or be aware of?

Mine started randomly resetting and then resetting whenever charging started.  It may have also overcharged some cells destroying them before that.

When I tested the pulled capacitors, they were unambiguously shot with low capacitance and of course high ESR.  I replaced them with better aluminum electrolytic and solid tantalum capacitors.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 03:24:19 pm by David Hess »

The following users thanked this post: MacMeter

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 03:50:17 pm »
Mine always thinks there is a cell in one slot so it gets stuck prompting for what to do with that slot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf